Confirmed with Link: Panthers claim Seth Griffith off waivers

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't like Griffith on the forecheck. McCann was way more efficient. The last shift was a great one though. Griffith made several good plays. He shouldn't have missed the empty net though:cry:

Not impressed. Can't quite seem to get to the rebounds in time. Two bad turnovers right to MaxPac and two empty nets missed. McCann would have scored 2...

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Not impressed. Can't quite seem to get to the rebounds in time. Two bad turnovers right to MaxPac and two empty nets missed. McCann would have scored 2...

Did you just respond to yourself?

And I don't know what game you're watching, Griffith has been creating chances.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Did you just respond to yourself?

And I don't know what game you're watching, Griffith has been creating chances.

Anything wrong with it?
He has been creating chances, that's right. At the same time he two times gave the puck away to the Canadiens best forward and he missed two empty nets. McCann is the better player overall. He doesn't give away the puck like that, he's better in getting to rebounds and more efficient on the forecheck. Maybe that's just me, but I also feel like this line isn't quite using the open ice like they should as both wingers seem to just stay on the right side where they're clearly more comfortable.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
McCann is the better player overall. He doesn't give away the puck like that, he's better in getting to rebounds and more efficient on the forecheck. Maybe that's just me, but I also feel like this line isn't quite using the open ice like they should as both wingers seem to just stay on the right side where they're clearly more comfortable.
I actually have to see more before I can make a judgement on who is best for the team at this point. You might just as well relax as Seth will likely get a fair shot at winning the job. The team will give all 3 linemates time to find chemistry. If he doesn't grade out well over that time period, then McCann will likely replace him and you will be a happy camper. :)

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
I thought he got better as the game went on. I'm looking forward to seeing if anything develops with the line. Good start, IMO.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I actually have to see more before I can make a judgement on who is best for the team at this point. You might just as well relax as Seth will likely get a fair shot at winning the job. The team will give all 3 linemates time to find chemistry. If he doesn't grade out well over that time period, then McCann will likely replace him and you will be a happy camper. :)

He was okay I guess. The turnovers were terrible but it was his first game. If puts his two 100% chances in, it would have been a great start for him. I'm okay with giving him another chance. That said, the line hardly had possession in the offensive zone which wasn't the case until now. I get that it was the 1st game for them as a unit but I'm convinced that the 3x Righty will remain an issue. The other thing is that Malgin needs somebody for his cycling game. The thing I like the most about McCann is his outstanding hockey sense. Just like Malgin he's strong on the puck and able to hold on to it without giving it away. Griffith might be more creative than McCann but when it comes down to positioning, winning puck battles or strength on the puck he's far away from what McCann brings to the table.
You see the same issue on the 1st line. Marchessault might be a 1st class shooter but he's not the ideal winger for a Center who prefers to hold on the puck to get his cycling game going. He also seems to lack hockey IQ when it comes down to positioning or zone entries. These problems wouldn't exist with Huberdeau playing.

As McKegg is pretty useless anyway, I'd like him to sit. Why not:

McCann, Malgin, Griffith
Rau, MacKenzie, Sceviour

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
He was okay I guess. The turnovers were terrible but it was his first game. If puts his two 100% chances in, it would have been a great start for him. I'm okay with giving him another chance. That said, the line hardly had possession in the offensive zone which wasn't the case until now. I get that it was the 1st game for them as a unit but I'm convinced that the 3x Righty will remain an issue. The other thing is that Malgin needs somebody for his cycling game. The thing I like the most about McCann is his outstanding hockey sense. Just like Malgin he's strong on the puck and able to hold on to it without giving it away. Griffith might be more creative than McCann but when it comes down to positioning, winning puck battles or strength on the puck he's far away from what McCann brings to the table.
You see the same issue on the 1st line. Marchessault might be a 1st class shooter but he's not the ideal winger for a Center who prefers to hold on the puck to get his cycling game going. He also seems to lack hockey IQ when it comes down to positioning or zone entries. These problems wouldn't exist with Huberdeau playing.

McCann, Malgin, Griffith
Rau, MacKenzie, Sceviour

I agree. Sit McSlug. Go with those 2 bottom lines.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

McCann, Malgin, Griffith
Rau, MacKenzie, Sceviour
Quote of Note from Ekblad: "Seth Griffith is a great addition to the 3rd line." Hopefully this is not an indictment of the team's feelings towards McCann. Remember, McCann was not well liked in Vancouver. :)

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Wow, Malgin n Griffith looked like they have been playing together for years in the game against Montreal. Great chemistry right out gate. They were pressing and out hustled the opposition all game.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Quote of Note from Ekblad: "Seth Griffith is a great addition to the 3rd line." Hopefully this is not an indictment of the team's feelings towards McCann. Remember, McCann was not well liked in Vancouver. :)

What else should he say? Do you think the Coaching stuff would have liked if he said that he prefers McCann over Griffith and that it was wrong to sit him?
Players have to answer so many idiotic questions...they will just give you some standart answers. Tonight they might ask him about Reimer. Do you think that he'll say anything bad about him...for example that he prefers Luongo? He would never do it...regardless of Reimer's play.

I'm by no means a Nuckles supporter but there were 3 Swiss players on their roster in recent years. That's why I followed them quite a bit. I never heard anything bad about McCann. In fact, Baertschi even seemed to like the guy a lot. I also remember other players like Cracknell or Hutton hanging out with Jared.

There are always rumours when a popular guy gets traded. Fans are disappointed and the management is looking for excuses. In the end, the Nuckles mishandled the guy and that's why it didn't work out.

I don't believe in anything else until you provide facts. If anyone has been a problem in Vancouver, it probably was Virtanen. I got the feeling that he's quite an arrogant and selfish guy. I wouldn't call it a fact but if one of the two was a problem, it would probably be Virtanen. Also seems to lack work ethic after an intense start. I get that he had health issues and and, just like McCann got misused...still. Nuckles probably realized by now that they traded the wrong guy.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wow, Malgin n Griffith looked like they have been playing together for years in the game against Montreal. Great chemistry right out gate. They were pressing and out hustled the opposition all game.

Have to disagree. 3rd line had considerably less offensive zone time than in recent games. Malgin's speed allows him to create chances on the rush, but apart from that, he's, like Barkov, a possession player. Griffith on the other side always went for the quick passes as he's more of a creative guy and less of a puck hog. In fact, he's quite weak on the puck. If this line should work, Griffith has to be more patient and he has to stop making those high risk suicide passes.

Griffith played a solid first game but for numerous reasons, they clearly weren't good as a unit.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
What else should he say? Do you think the Coaching stuff would have liked if he said that he prefers McCann over Griffith and that it was wrong to sit him?
Players have to answer so many idiotic questions...they will just give you some standart answers. Tonight they might ask him about Reimer. Do you think that he'll say anything bad about him...for example that he prefers Luongo? He would never do it...regardless of Reimer's play.

I'm by no means a Nuckles supporter but there were 3 Swiss players on their roster in recent years. That's why I followed them quite a bit. I never heard anything bad about McCann. In fact, Baertschi even seemed to like the guy a lot. I also remember other players like Cracknell or Hutton hanging out with Jared.

There are always rumours when a popular guy gets traded. Fans are disappointed and the management is looking for excuses. In the end, the Nuckles mishandled the guy and that's why it didn't work out.

I don't believe in anything else until you provide facts. If anyone has been a problem in Vancouver, it probably was Virtanen. I got the feeling that he's quite an arrogant and selfish guy. I wouldn't call it a fact but if one of the two was a problem, it would probably be Virtanen. Also seems to lack work ethic after an intense start. I get that he had health issues and and, just like McCann got misused...still. Nuckles probably realized by now that they traded the wrong guy.

I like how you call them Nuckles.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

In case you were right and that's what he meant...he probably just changed his mind:laugh:
Btw, that's what I meant. Others would have passed the puck right away after that board battle. McCann decided to keep it a little longer. He saw the open ice behind the net and used it to look out for the open man.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
In case you were right and that's what he meant...he probably just changed his mind:laugh:
Btw, that's what I meant. Others would have passed the puck right away after that board battle. McCann decided to keep it a little longer. He saw the open ice behind the net and used it to look out for the open man.
McCann had a solid game tonight. Lot's of energy, compete, and speed. Unfortunately, they took him off the 1st line as he might have given them an energy boost had he remained. The only negative in his game tonight was he wasn't hitting the net with his shot, which by the way has applied to just about everyone on the team. I think he deserves another start on Saturday. Griffith was not noticeable tonight as Toronto recognizes the Malgin line was the only line that has been a threat and clamped down on them. :)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
McCann had a solid game tonight. Lot's of energy, compete, and speed. Unfortunately, they took him off the 1st line as he might have given them an energy boost had he remained. The only negative in his game tonight was he wasn't hitting the net with his shot, which by the way has applied to just about everyone on the team. I think he deserves another start on Saturday. Griffith was not noticeable tonight as Toronto recognizes the Malgin line was the only line that has been a threat and clamped down on them. :)

You might be right about that. As mentioned earlier, Barkov and Malgin may look different but they play a similar game. I still liked the change as I strongly believe that McCann should be on this 3rd line. It's not all that important who's on the other side but McCann is the best fit for Malgin. He's good on the forecheck and strong on the puck. The Malgin line was a lot better tonight than in Montreal. That said, once Bjugstad is back, both Jokinen and Jagr should be on the 3rd line and I expect them to do well with Malgin. This would give us a look of McCann alongside Barkov:

McCann, Barkov, Bjugstad
Marchessault, Trocheck, Smith
Jokinen, Malgin, Jagr
Rau, MacKenzie, Sceviour

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
You might be right about that. As mentioned earlier, Barkov and Malgin may look different but they play a similar game. I still liked the change as I strongly believe that McCann should be on this 3rd line. It's not all that important who's on the other side but McCann is the best fit for Malgin. He's good on the forecheck and strong on the puck. The Malgin line was a lot better tonight than in Montreal. That said, once Bjugstad is back, both Jokinen and Jagr should be on the 3rd line and I expect them to do well with Malgin. This would give us a look of McCann alongside Barkov:

McCann, Barkov, Bjugstad
Marchessault, Trocheck, Smith
Jokinen, Malgin, Jagr
Rau, MacKenzie, Sceviour
Barkov isn't strong on the puck this year. Malgin who is 30 lbs lighter has been head and shoulders better centering his line. Of course you must also consider Barkov is seeing the better defenders.

Jagr would be useless on the 3rd line. He either plays top line minutes or gets scratched. Jussi also has shown nothing this season, even when he was healthy. Tonight was a perfect example of a team that still cannot go out and skate for 60 minutes. They got lucky in Montreal as they were badly outplayed in the 2nd and 3rd period. :)

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Griffith was invisible on our best line tonight..I don't see what he brings that we don't already have all overr the place

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Barkov isn't strong on the puck this year. Malgin who is 30 lbs lighter has been head and shoulders better centering his line. Of course you must also consider Barkov is seeing the better defenders.

Jagr would be useless on the 3rd line. He either plays top line minutes or gets scratched. Jussi also has shown nothing this season, even when he was healthy. Tonight was a perfect example of a team that still cannot go out and skate for 60 minutes. They got lucky in Montreal as they were badly outplayed in the 2nd and 3rd period. :)

Useless? Jagr against opponents 3rd pair defenders would be quite a threat...especially alongside Malgin and Jokinen. That would be quite a possession line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad