Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Chicago takes Alex Hage at the end of the third round.

How many 16yo can a USHL team have on the roster per year?
Very few of the kids taken today make the ushl. this is more of a future draft. look at last year, less then half of the players taken in the 1st played more then a handful of games. if Chicago thought he was ready, they would have tendered him

Reactions: Section5Petes

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
the question we all truly wonder, what does square corners think? i know hes not from oshawa at all and solely a petes fan, wonder why he disappeared. :laugh:
IMG_6684.png

Just going to leave this here…

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
He will develop in to a strong ohl player but at 16 he is not at the level of other tendered players
thats kind of been my point all along. hes a good player, very good, but he probably was not a1st round pick in the ohl. only person who said it was the puck preps guy and he said that the 1st overall pick was a 2nd round pick, so what does he know, honestly?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
thats kind of been my point all along. hes a good player, very good, but he probably was not a1st round pick in the ohl. only person who said it was the puck preps guy and he said that the 1st overall pick was a 2nd round pick, so what does he know, honestly?
I assume you are talking about Alexander Hage? If he was to sign with the Petes what type of contribution could we expect from him? Particularly if he was to play on a line with Caden Taylor who he had some good chemistry with in the development camp.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
With the talk on the Kingston forum about a potential trade between the two teams (a trade I doubt happens) what does everybody think the Petes will do in the way of trades this coming season. In my opinion to start they will likely trade an overage forward and likely Liam Sztuska provided Zack Bowen is able to move into the starter role. If they move Sztuska I think they will trade for an overage defenceman to help develop our young defence. If they keep Liam I think they will trade for a 19 year old instead. I also think they I will trade for a 18 year old centre that may be a bit of a project player. I don’t see the Petes as sellers at the deadline this year unless they get an amazing offer for one of their overagers.

Reactions: Ogie Junior

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
My medium warm take is that Sztuska isn't going anywhere, they keep saying they want to make the playoffs next year and keeping him is easily the biggest difference maker in that regard...

...in hand with that, I don't think the "goalie of the future" is either Bowen or Rye.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
My medium warm take is that Sztuska isn't going anywhere, they keep saying they want to make the playoffs next year and keeping him is easily the biggest difference maker in that regard...

...in hand with that, I don't think the "goalie of the future" is either Bowen or Rye.
100% agree with you on keeping Sztuska

And I assume you also feel that Masen Johnston is the goalie of the future

Reactions: Zebra

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

I think Mason Johnston is the Petes goaltender of the future. I am also thinking they will keep Liam Sztuska and trade Zack Bowen.

Reactions: Zebra

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I think Mason Johnston is the Petes goaltender of the future. I am also thinking they will keep Liam Sztuska and trade Zack Bowen.
How did the season go for Zack? Kid stepped into a Hotspot last year when Brochu went down and all things considered he did pretty well. Hope he does well many Knights fans remember him fondly.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Don’t count out American Dylan Lee-Stack who showed up to rookie camp and had a great showing on probably the weakest defensive team at camp. He also didn’t go in the USHL draft which was shocking to me… maybe because he’s OHL bound?

Just speculation on my part but I find it pretty interesting…

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I would hope Bowen is up to the task. The Petes really need 3-OA skaters with the 2007 born as the predominant age group.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
What OA skaters would be your choice to keep?
Myself I think the Petes should keep Jonathan Miele, Ryder MacIntyre and trade for an overage defenceman but before the Petes trade Liam Sztuska they need to make sure Zach Bowen can be the starting goaltender.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Idk, spread all three OA forwards through three lines because the Petes will need goals and there will be less need for vets on D because there are a few ‘05 & ‘06 D?
Young-Meele-McCallum
Taylor-LeFebvre-Addy
Turcotte-Fitzgerald-McIntyre

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Idk, spread all three OA forwards through three lines because the Petes will need goals and there will be a couple of ‘06 & ‘07 D?
Young-Meele-McCallum
Taylor-LeFebvre-Addy
Brayden McCallum will likely play centre which he did at the end of the season. He had 7 goals and 5 assists in his last 10 games. Jonathan Melee will play left wing. Quinton Page will be playing in the top nine as he had 15 goals last year including 5 goals in his last 10 games. Don’t count out the Petes signing Alexander Hage. He has indicated Peterborough is option for him. The Petes will not likely not keep three overage forwards. If they trade Liam Sztuska they will likely use the third spot on a defenceman.

Reactions: dirty12

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Brayden McCallum will likely play centre which he did at the end of the season. He had 7 goals and 5 assists in his last 10 games. Jonathan Melee will play left wing. Quinton Page will be playing in the top nine as he had 15 goals last year including 5 goals in his last 10 games. Don’t count out the Petes signing Alexander Hage. He has indicated Peterborough is option for him. The Petes will not likely not keep three overage forwards. If they trade Liam Sztuska they will likely use the third spot on a defenceman.
Mcintyre would be a sure keeper for me.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
To me at this point I would keep Jonathan Melee, Ryder McIntyre and Liam Sztuska. Means you would be dealing Zach Bowen and Chase Lefebvre and potentially having Easton Rye as the backup (unless there is a trade market for him) as well as Masen Johnston waiting in the wings. I am admittedly quite tempted to want to deal both Bowen and Rye as you don't want Johnston to go through what Rye did this year again. Could look to form a Donoso/MacKenzie tandem with Rye and Johnston the year after though

Reactions: NorthernVoice

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Like I said Idk, so I guessed 3-OAs forwards might work for a team that will not score much.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Like I said Idk, so I guessed 3-OAs forwards might work for a team that will not score much.
I think you are underestimating what our forwards are capable of. As I said in my earlier post Brayden McCallum after he was moved to centre was an over a point a game player as was Ryder MacIntyre in his last 17 games. Caden Taylor had 11 goals in 31 games as a Pete. I expect Colin Fitzgerald will contribute right away and if they sign Alexander Hage he will contribute on offence as will Jonathan Melee and Quinton Page. Aiden Young and Nico Addy are a key part of the Petes future. The Petes need to add experience on defence to mentor their young defence and that is why I think they will add an overage defenceman if they don’t keep Liam Sztuska.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Brayden McCallum will likely play centre which he did at the end of the season. He had 7 goals and 5 assists in his last 10 games. Jonathan Melee will play left wing. Quinton Page will be playing in the top nine as he had 15 goals last year including 5 goals in his last 10 games. Don’t count out the Petes signing Alexander Hage. He has indicated Peterborough is option for him. The Petes will not likely not keep three overage forwards. If they trade Liam Sztuska they will likely use the third spot
I think you are underestimating what our forwards are capable of. As I said in my earlier post Brayden McCallum after he was moved to centre was an over a point a game player as was Ryder MacIntyre in his last 17 games. Caden Taylor had 11 goals in 31 games as a Pete. I expect Colin Fitzgerald will contribute right away and if they sign Alexander Hage he will contribute on offence as will Jonathan Melee and Quinton Page. Aiden Young and Nico Addy are a key part of the Petes future. The Petes need to add experience on defence to mentor their young defence and that is why I think they will add an overage defenceman if they don’t keep Liam Sztuska.
You’re overestimating the team once again. Yes all the forwards you listed are going to contribute more than they did last season… the team as a whole though is still going to struggle to score compared to other teams in the league.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Idk, spread all three OA forwards through three lines because the Petes will need goals and there will be less need for vets on D because there are a few ‘05 & ‘06 D?
Young-Meele-McCallum
Taylor-LeFebvre-Addy
This doesn’t account for a potential Euro forward either if that’s the way the decide to go with that pick. Whoever they pick at 9 if it’s a forward will be playing in the top 9

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
This doesn’t account for a potential Euro forward either if that’s the way the decide to go with that pick. Whoever they pick at 9 if it’s a forward will be playing in the top 9
don’t forget Alexander Hage and Tyler Hopkins😂😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad