Pre-WWII 2023 - Draft Thread I

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Bucko's ADP between ATDs 13-18 is 503. Fraser's 858, Mummery's 694, Halderson's 951, Coutu's 867, Loughlin's 750. Bucko's generally much higher regarded than those guys. I think he'd be gone already if we were all on the same page.

It's not draft-breaking, like a guy getting Brimsek in round 5. I don't care all that much. But I do think you got a steal simply by looking at a different source than everyone else did.

I'm not doubting that it's true, I'm making the point that going into this draft we all believed the more commonly cited 1914 and based our decisions on that.

Is this the case though? BB and Jiggly both liked the post, so I don’t believe they had an issue with it.

Were any other GM’s eyeing him earlier but took him off their lists because they believed he was born in 1914? If this is the case I’ll drop him I guess. Not a huge deal either way but I don’t think this is nearly as big of a deal as Brimsek was. Even then I would have been fine with zombies keeping Brimsek because hey he scooped us all lol part of the game!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I think this one should stay. It isn't game-breaking. To me, this is no different than doing research into the player to find out if he was better than previously thought. Or played another position than previously thought, as the case may be.

I suppose it comes down to if a bunch of us were eyeing him but removed him due to thinking he was born in 1914. I don’t believe this is the case like it was with Brimsek.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I suppose it comes down to if a bunch of us were eyeing him but removed him due to thinking he was born in 1914. I don’t believe this is the case, as was with Brimsek.
To me it’s different than the Brimsek situation, because with Brimsek we had a draft-related thread showing him as ineligible. That’s not the case here, if I’m not mistaken.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
To me it’s different than the Brimsek situation, because with Brimsek we had a draft-related thread showing him as ineligible. That’s not the case here, if I’m not mistaken.

And maybe i’m underselling my own player but I legitimately believe this is around the slot he should have gone. I know he used to go higher in the ATD, but I think this was overrating him a bit. And I don’t believe the pick should be disqualified based on the fact he used to go higher in the draft years back.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other.

For future reference, we should use these dates to update any record we have.

I think the only way around it is to have a list of like 300 guys that could potentially get picked and include their birth years.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm certain I've drafted the fattest two available. But if Bucko's adjusted weight says otherwise then I'm willing to accept that I'm wrong.

I'll pick within the next hour, by the way.
I don't mean just raw weight, or even adjusted weight. he's abnormally heavy for his height.

Am I keeping Bucko as my spare D or do I need to re-select?
No, keep him.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I really wanted Bert Russell. I think he just looked right in my lineup. But there's no way around it, I definitely need someone who can play LW. And I don't really feel great about any multi-positional guys at this point. If there was a RW/LW or a D/LW I liked enough, I'd totally take 'em. Or any of these guys I have marked as alleged C/LW that I actually found credible enough at wing. But there's nothing, IMO. So I'm going to just take the best LW (and just LW) that I can: Herb Cain.

In the event that injuries force us to move a LW elsewhere in the lineup, Cain will backfill the LW position.

Cain and Carr, forever linked...

@jigglysquishy

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Ottawa selects Tony Gingras and Hartland MacDougall.

263px-Tony_Gingras%2C_Winnipeg_Victorias.jpg
Hartland_MacDougall.png

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This was a tough choice. I had a post all written up for one player and changed my mind at the last minute. I am going to take the big little man of iron, Billy Nicholson, G.

My old, old, old bio of Nicholson, which I may not 100% stand by anymore:

Also, being that Nicholson is the 15th goalie selected in this draft, remember that makes him, "unworthy of the others drafted, journeymen selected that would never touch the light of ATD day"

@Dr John Carlson

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
This was a tough choice. I had a post all written up for one player and changed my mind at the last minute. I am going to take the big little man of iron, Billy Nicholson, G.

My old, old, old bio of Nicholson, which I may not 100% stand by anymore:

Speaking of drafting... rather large players, to put it somewhat diplomatically... Nicholson's size was described in several articles. He had some weight to him.

Great pick, though; I was looking at him for my goalie spare. I'm still not sure if Hern is actually any better.
Also, being that Nicholson is the 15th goalie selected in this draft, remember that makes him, "unworthy of the others drafted, journeymen selected that would never touch the light of ATD day"
That comment made zero sense when it was made, and it still makes no sense. We are drafting a lot of players who have never been drafted in the ATD. Some may now, but others- top 3 liners, even- will likely never be. And that's ok.

Reactions: seventieslord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad