GDT: R1G1 - Aves @ Jetes

Can the Avs overcome being down 4-0 to start the game?

• No

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Hell No

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No way

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • We're going to lose 8-0

Votes: 22 52.4%

• Total voters

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
He was 7th in Vezina voting, and after a season like that, was CMac supposed to trade him?

No, not trade him, but to bring in at least another option or veteran Back-Up beside Anunnen when the writing was on the wall this season. Just give this team a chance.

I mean, what on earth..

They came out on fire last night, dominated the Jets, put in 6 goals and still lost this game because one man cant get his shit together for weeks now....Losing this game is unbelievable and will bite us in the ass pretty soon.

This goalie is killing his team and the locker right now.... Just get him away from the line of fire Jared. For the benefit of all....

But here we are.... And Georgiev will start Game 2 too, because there is no other option available and we will find us down 2-0 by high probability heading back to Denver...

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
My blood pressure from how bad Georgive was behind such a great Avs offensive performance has still not come down. Bednar can't be serious with his comments.

Former NHL scout (Grant McCagg) thinks our defense is not OK

I mean I know it was Manson that made the pass into the slot but also Georgive tossed him a grenade that never would have happened if he had just stayed in his net.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
All the Avs have to do is be absolutely perfect 100% of the time always all the time forever and ever, guys. This ain't on Georgie.

Don't even consider that the opposing team is also trying to win and will force opportunities. No. Just be absolutely flawless. Then, and only then, can we really blame poor ol Georgie.
If we wanted to have to play that way all the time we also could have saved 2.5mil and paid two guys league minimum to be in the net.

Reactions: katfude

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If Bendar had a single ball on his person that would have been Georgiev's last game in an Avs sweater. I cannot believe they put in six goals on Hellebuyck and still lost.

1713789535107.png

Winnepeg should be thanking their lucky stars Georgiev is giving them a free pass to the next round. But lets be real, whoever gets out of this series is going to be steamrolled by Vegas/Dallas.

What's the worst case scenario with Annunen? He lets in 7???

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Georgiev was really good last year. People can make this videos all they want asking why did the Avs trade for him. He was 7th in Vezina voting, and after a season like that, was CMac supposed to trade him? No one could have predicted Georgiev would have such a complete melt down drop off sesson this year. In fact we were all excited for Georgiev who started this season on fire, then the wheels suddenly fell off

There are a few things here. First, George was a major reason for the loss to Seattle. He played like garbage in the series and it wasn’t the start of his downfall (that was later last season) but when the downfall hit its stride. People should have been nervous last summer after his play vs Seattle.

Second, we had the backup let the front office know he was retiring. Go get a damn backup.

Third, George has been terrible the vast majority of the season. He had a hot start, but it was just a heater. By game 20-25, it was very clear.

Forth, George was really bad all season… to the point where the Avs knew it and sniffed heavily around goalies at the deadline. This risk was very well known by then and they went with this tandem, despite the struggles.

The front office simply should have done more to protect the net.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Second, we had the backup let the front office know he was retiring. Go get a damn backup.

This is my problem. I kind of understand starting the postseason with Georviev, for better or worst they've chosen him to be their guy. But why in the hell, after watching him be absolute shit all season, didn't they pick up a league average starter at the deadline to back him up?

With league average goaltending last night the Avs clearly win that game.

cMac is making it so hard to make a positive case for him.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
For not starting a guy that has been waived by Arizona just to then suck with the Avs again this year? Arizona didn't even want him back on their farm when the Avs waived him. The guy cleared waivers despite still being on his ELC. Yes, he then put up some good numbers for the Avs farm but he's not realistically an option for the Avs at this point.
You can’t go back to Georgiev. The dudes probably better than he’s been this year, but he’s so far beyond broken mentally. Going back to him doesn’t help anyone except for Winnipeg.

Reactions: Bender

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You can’t go back to Georgiev. The dudes probably better than he’s been this year, but he’s so far beyond broken mentally. Going back to him doesn’t help anyone except for Winnipeg.

I agree but unless Annunen recovers in time, Bednar doesn't have an option. There's nobody in the organization he could trust more than Georgiev. It's sad but true. Prosvetov and Holm aren't options. At least not just 0-1 down. I'm 100% sure that Georgiev is gonna start game 2 if Annunen isn't good to go.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
This is my problem. I kind of understand starting the postseason with Georviev, for better or worst they've chosen him to be their guy. But why in the hell, after watching him be absolute shit all season, didn't they pick up a league average starter at the deadline to back him up?
Because at the deadline the pulse of this board (and prob the Avs org) was that Annunen should probably be starting and was capable of taking the backup role.

It was one playoff game - we were short a goalie because he had a cold…..so now we should have traded a 2nd rounder to cover this edge case? I get that people are pissed but it’s very ‘sky is falling’ in here about the goaltending. Let’s see what happens when they got both guys healthy.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I'm 100% sure that Georgiev is gonna start game 2 if Annunen isn't good to go.
I am sure that even if Anunnen, by a miracle, is ready to go, Georgiev will start Game 2 and everyone just hopes he has a ressurection and holds the fort like Crockett and Bowie in Alamo.

Just good enough to give his team a chance for the win.

But, there is another problem: I doubt the rest of the pack is capable to pull out another performance like yesterday....

Man, this loss sucks on so many ways... Blew a big chance to get home-ice and put more pressure on the Jets....

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
"How do you keep yourself locked in?" Did that seem like he knows how? They gotta be about to keep him locked in his house.
It was a missed opportunity to ask, “On the 5th goal, it looked like your stick positioning was way off. This a fundamental concept taught to bantam players. How are your fundamental skills so bad right now?”

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Let’s see what happens when they got both guys healthy.
What should happen?

Anunnen is the guy and all of us, even his teammates, hope he can just deliver enough to give this team a chance to win. The question is if Justus gets healthy in time because if this no-show in net continues, we are golfing by monday.

Thats all folks. There is nothing more left at this point. Pray that Anunnen is ready and can handle the pressure.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I am sure that even if Anunnen, by a miracle, is ready to go, Georgiev will start Game 2 and everyone just hopes he has a ressurection and holds the fort like Crockett and Bowie in Alamo.

But, there is another problem: I doubt the rest of the pack is capable to pull out another performance like yesterday....

Man, this loss sucks on so many ways... Blew a big chance to get home-ice and put more pressure on the Jets....
I have no doubt they can. The issue is they need a goalie to help them and I am sure the Jets and especially Helly will play much better.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

If Bednar continues to start Georgiev despite Annunen being at 100% then I have to question Bednar's sanity. I fully expect him to start Georgiev until Annunen is at 100% though because he doesn't really have an option. The fact that he doesn't have an option isn't really on him btw. I understand that the Avs didn't wanna go crazy at the deadline but I feel like they could have at least upgraded their goaltending depth. Prosvetov put up some good numbers in the AHL after clearing waivers but was absolute dogshit in the NHL and is heading back to Russia. Holm I don't even know why he hasn't returned to Europe yet. Most other playoff teams have way better AHL options available in case they need a goalie.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Honestly, I don't doubt they can. That right there was Avalanche hockey. The boys stepped up as we hoped they would for the big game. And there was plenty of room for improvement as Mack and Rants were far from their dominant selves.

I saw on the mains, and here, that "there's no way that the Jets will play that way again". I mean, they weren't that bad, we just suffocated them, like they did against us in prior games. There's every chance it happens again, because we are the better team. They never saw Avalanche hockey this year in the three games we met. We never played up to the moment until yesterday. I have faith the Avs can do that again, and even improve.

The assumption appears to be that of course the Jets will get better and of course the Avs will get worse. I don't buy into that shit. We asserted our authority on that game from puck drop, shots were like 10-1 to start the game. That's not because the Jets were bad either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The starting Annunen over George is a baby out with the bathwater situation. Once you pull the plug on George, there is no coming back to him. His already shot confidence will be even worse, and he's known to be a very bad teammate... so unlikely to help any other goalie on the team. Plus we have the whole situation in getting rid of him this summer. I think it is the right move to start Annunen game 2, but the Avs look at the risk of moving on from George as too high. They've done everything they can to show George the role is his and have tried to put out any fire of a goalie controversy... you don't do that unless you're willing to see it all the way through.

I fully expect George to start game 2, and I actually think George will play well. We will see if that is enough to win. I fully expect though in one of games 3 or 4, the wheels will fall off again. That's likely when the Avs will make the switch.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Honestly, I don't doubt they can. That right there was Avalanche hockey. The boys stepped up as we hoped they would for the big game. And there was plenty of room for improvement as Mack and Rants were far from their dominant selves.

I saw on the mains, and here, that "there's no way that the Jets will play that way again". I mean, they weren't that bad, we just suffocated them, like they did against us in prior games. There's every chance it happens again, because we are the better team. They never saw Avalanche hockey this year in the three games we met. We never played up to the moment until yesterday. I have faith the Avs can do that again, and even improve.

The assumption appears to be that of course the Jets will get better and of course the Avs will get worse. I don't buy into that shit. We asserted our authority on that game from puck drop, shots were like 10-1 to start the game. That's not because the Jets were bad either.

Outside of George, that was about as well as the Avs could play. That level is going to be unlikely moving forward IMO. We might see spurts of it, but WInnipeg will adjust and slow the Avs down from last night. It'll then work back to do the Avs have a counter? I also don't think it is reasonable to think that the Avs get 5 or 6 against Bucky again... which gets to the question of, will goaltending be good enough to hold the Jets to 3?

Last night was a wasted opportunity. Against a much weaker team, you take the pure positives and move on. Against a team that is close to a similar level, your back is against the wall right away.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The starting Annunen over George is a baby out with the bathwater situation. Once you pull the plug on George, there is no coming back to him. His already shot confidence will be even worse, and he's known to be a very bad teammate... so unlikely to help any other goalie on the team. Plus we have the whole situation in getting rid of him this summer. I think it is the right move to start Annunen game 2, but the Avs look at the risk of moving on from George as too high. They've done everything they can to show George the role is his and have tried to put out any fire of a goalie controversy... you don't do that unless you're willing to see it all the way through.

I fully expect George to start game 2, and I actually think George will play well. We will see if that is enough to win. I fully expect though in one of games 3 or 4, the wheels will fall off again. That's likely when the Avs will make the switch.
I. Don't. Care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad