GDT: R1G1 - Aves @ Jetes

Can the Avs overcome being down 4-0 to start the game?

• No

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Hell No

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No way

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • We're going to lose 8-0

Votes: 22 52.4%

• Total voters

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't think the vast majority of us do... but this is how coaches think. They believe that George will be needed if there is a run, and you can't break him further right now.
Yeah God forbid he lets in 8 or 9 instead of 7.

We are passed the point of protecting his fragile mental state. Move on and live with what happens next. At least we will have tried something else.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I don't think the vast majority of us do... but this is how coaches think. They believe that George will be needed if there is a run, and you can't break him further right now.
I don’t see how it’s possible to break him any further.

You’ve mentioned several times that they can’t go back to George if they put Annunen in nets now because of how Georgiev will react.
It no longer makes sense or is an issue. Georgiev isn’t mentally there. He hasn’t for a long time. What worse could it do? He allows 8 goals instead of 7?

This fear of losing Georgiev for good was something that could be accepted at the deadline because of hope he’d come around. It’s well passed that. Georgiev can’t get worse, and even if he does, it’s over anyways.

Bensch88

Jan 15, 2012
Germany
The starting Annunen over George is a baby out with the bathwater situation. Once you pull the plug on George, there is no coming back to him. His already shot confidence will be even worse, and he's known to be a very bad teammate... so unlikely to help any other goalie on the team. Plus we have the whole situation in getting rid of him this summer. I think it is the right move to start Annunen game 2, but the Avs look at the risk of moving on from George as too high. They've done everything they can to show George the role is his and have tried to put out any fire of a goalie controversy... you don't do that unless you're willing to see it all the way through.

I fully expect George to start game 2, and I actually think George will play well. We will see if that is enough to win. I fully expect though in one of games 3 or 4, the wheels will fall off again. That's likely when the Avs will make the switch.
So they should throw the whole season in the bin because Georgieves Feelings might get hurt? If he is that much of a bad team mate (plus the worst worst worst "starter" in the whole league right now) he will never ever find a Job in the nhl again. I'm so sich of his attitude, he' costing the team big time. This is not the 22 team but Georgiev isnt able to make a Single safe. I'd go all in with Justus and if Georgie is pissed about that he can f*** right off. I'd love to have Landy in the dressing room telling the sulky bitch to do one. If have no idea if Justus is going to win the team this series but i do KNOW that Georgiev is going to lose them the playoffs.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
The starting Annunen over George is a baby out with the bathwater situation. Once you pull the plug on George, there is no coming back to him. His already shot confidence will be even worse, and he's known to be a very bad teammate... so unlikely to help any other goalie on the team. Plus we have the whole situation in getting rid of him this summer. I think it is the right move to start Annunen game 2, but the Avs look at the risk of moving on from George as too high. They've done everything they can to show George the role is his and have tried to put out any fire of a goalie controversy... you don't do that unless you're willing to see it all the way through.

I fully expect George to start game 2, and I actually think George will play well. We will see if that is enough to win. I fully expect though in one of games 3 or 4, the wheels will fall off again. That's likely when the Avs will make the switch.
He'll be starting game 2 for sure. But it's going to be too late if they wait until game 3-4 to try something else. Hell it might be too late now

Georgiev has made the one eyed goaltender look good
Kuemper had the sense to pull himself when he knew he wasn't it too
God I hope Georgiev doesn't use social media or go on the internet. Would be such an uplifting experience for him.
Dude can't read an angle on a shot, what makes you think he can read English?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah God forbid he lets in 8 or 9 instead of 7.

We are passed the point of protecting his fragile mental state. Move on and live with what happens next. At least we will have tried something else.
I don’t see how it’s possible to break him any further.

You’ve mentioned several times that they can’t go back to George if they put Annunen in nets now because of how Georgiev will react.
It no longer makes sense or is an issue. Georgiev isn’t mentally there. He hasn’t for a long time. What worse could it do? He allows 8 goals instead of 7?

This fear of losing Georgiev for good was something that could be accepted at the deadline because of hope he’d come around. It’s well passed that. Georgiev can’t get worse, and even if he does, it’s over anyways.
So they should throw the whole season in the bin because Georgieves Feelings might get hurt? If he is that much of a bad team mate (plus the worst worst worst "starter" in the whole league right now) he will never ever find a Job in the nhl again. I'm so sich of his attitude, he' costing the team big time. This is not the 22 team but Georgiev isnt able to make a Single safe. I'd go all in with Justus and if Georgie is pissed about that he can f*** right off. I'd love to have Landy in the dressing room telling the sulky bitch to do one. If have no idea if Justus is going to win the team this series but i do KNOW that Georgiev is going to lose them the playoffs.

I'm simply stating how coaches operate here. I am not advocating for George to start (it should be VERY clear what I think of him). The Avs have taken all the steps to insulate George and keep the flames as low as possible. It is simply unlikely that they change course until they absolutely have to.

Bensch88

Jan 15, 2012
Germany
I'm simply stating how coaches operate here. I am not advocating for George to start (it should be VERY clear what I think of him). The Avs have taken all the steps to insulate George and keep the flames as low as possible. It is simply unlikely that they change course until they absolutely have to.
But when do you think Bednar and the staff realize that they have to make a chance in net? When they are 0-3 down in the series? At least they should give Justus the chance to righten the ship

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He'll be starting game 2 for sure. But it's going to be too late if they wait until game 3-4 to try something else. Hell it might be too late now

Kuemper had the sense to pull himself when he knew he wasn't it too

Dude can't read an angle on a shot, what makes you think he can read English?

If he plays game 2 like he did last night, I would expect the change for game 3. If he's half decent though, he'll start again.

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
But when do you think Bednar and the Staffel realize that they have to make a chance in net? When they are 0-3 down in the series? At least they should give Justus the chance to righten the ship
If George gives up ~4-5+ in game 2 or game 3 I could see the change happening. If he plays half decent (only gives up 3 or gives up 4 on a ton of shots) for the next 3 games, I doubt they swap at all.

That's what I'm worried about
Same... it is the worst case really. If he plays just good enough to give the coaches pause on making the move. I'd rather the Avs get taken to the woodshed in game 2 if it means Annunen gets the net.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
We should be fine....as long as we keep outshooting them 2 to 1.
Well, i was wrong. We actually outshot them 2 to 1 and still lost.

Unless Annunen channels his inner Patrick Roy from this point onward, we are not getting out of the first round. And even if we somehow do, we are not winning the Cup.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Most of them are assholes, and none of them are perfect. This is what I'm trying to say. Piling on is counterproductive. I too want to win. (f*** whoever said the other. I am STH priority 305, so I actually back up my takes with my wallet.) A lot of you act like not going 82-0 and 16-0 is some kind of failure. Just shows that you are ... young? Not sure what the appropriate word is.

Halleluja to the only real fan here.

Expect for the Eagle obviously.

Better than Fourgiev certainly.
Is it time to upgrade? Fivegiev?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
We are there now. It is time to hurt his precious feelings.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If Annunen is unavailable for next game i'd rather call-up and start Provy than George.

True. Georgiev needs to just sit.

Georgiev was really good last year. People can make this videos all they want asking why did the Avs trade for him. He was 7th in Vezina voting, and after a season like that, was CMac supposed to trade him? No one could have predicted Georgiev would have such a complete melt down drop off sesson this year. In fact we were all excited for Georgiev who started this season on fire, then the wheels suddenly fell off

Truth.

Reactions: the_fan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We are there now. It is time to hurt his precious feelings.
I believe we think that… I don’t think the coaches are there.

A different way of putting it… they likely believe there is zero chance Annunen can lead them to a Cup. So they will need George to eventually play and play well. Whatever it takes to make that possible is the course of action. Everything they’ve done thus far fits that playbook.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I am usually very pessimistic but one thing the Avs might have going for them and it has nothing to do with them is the mojo of the Jets.

That is now 9 straight wins dating back to the regular season. Unless they are about to go on an Oilers-like 16 straight run, they should be primed for some losses. It's just the eb and flow of hockey. The bad play by Winnipeg creeped up last night.

After a night to sleep on it, it looked clear in game 1 when the Avs are skating the Jets have no answer. Their defensemen are very good at clearing bodies in front but Dillon, Samberg, Stanley, and even Pionk all looked slow. Very slow.

Have to hope this continues.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I am usually very pessimistic but one thing the Avs might have going for them and it has nothing to do with them is the mojo of the Jets.

That is now 9 straight wins dating back to the regular season. Unless they are about to go on an Oilers-like 16 straight run, they should be primed for some losses. It's just the eb and flow of hockey. The bad play by Winnipeg creeped up last night.

After a night to sleep on it, it looked clear in game 1 when the Avs are skating the Jets have no answer. Their defensemen are very good at clearing bodies in front but Dillon, Samberg, Stanley, and even Pionk all looked slow. Very slow.

Have to hope this continues.
Adding to this, Nathan MacKinnon last night had a 62% Corsi and it was amongst the worst on the team. Scoring chances with him on the ice were tied 8-8 and he got out-chanced high danger 3-1.

One has to believe that changes in game 2. The Avs best player was probably their worst (along with Rantanen) in game 1.

Reactions: GeoRox89

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There are a few things here. First, George was a major reason for the loss to Seattle. He played like garbage in the series and it wasn’t the start of his downfall (that was later last season) but when the downfall hit its stride. People should have been nervous last summer after his play vs Seattle.

Second, we had the backup let the front office know he was retiring. Go get a damn backup.

Third, George has been terrible the vast majority of the season. He had a hot start, but it was just a heater. By game 20-25, it was very clear.

Forth, George was really bad all season… to the point where the Avs knew it and sniffed heavily around goalies at the deadline. This risk was very well known by then and they went with this tandem, despite the struggles.

The front office simply should have done more to protect the net.
Georgiev was just fine in the playoffs last year. He didn’t allow more than 3 goals in any of the games and had over 900 save percentage, and we do have a back up in Annunen. The only thing CMac could have done or maybe should have done is trade Georgiev for a better starter in mid season, but that’s probably easier said than done with all the other moves CMac had to make.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No, not trade him, but to bring in at least another option or veteran Back-Up beside Anunnen when the writing was on the wall this season. Just give this team a chance.

I mean, what on earth..

They came out on fire last night, dominated the Jets, put in 6 goals and still lost this game because one man cant get his shit together for weeks now....Losing this game is unbelievable and will bite us in the ass pretty soon.

This goalie is killing his team and the locker right now.... Just get him away from the line of fire Jared. For the benefit of all....

But here we are.... And Georgiev will start Game 2 too, because there is no other option available and we will find us down 2-0 by high probability heading back to Denver...
We need a starter. Giving up more assets to get a back up doesn’t make sense since you’re not gonna go far with a back up goalie anyway even if you win the 1st round.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We need a starter. Giving up more assets to get a back up doesn’t make sense since you’re not gonna go far with a back up goalie anyway even if you win the 1st round.
I'm calling it from now the Avs will go into next season with Alex Nedeljkovic and Justus Annunen as their goaltenders.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014

I don’t think there’s any chance Georgiev starts game 2. How can you back to him? This has been happening for so long. Pucks just go through him. Jared must see this.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Georgiev was just fine in the playoffs last year. He didn’t allow more than 3 goals in any of the games and had over 900 save percentage, and we do have a back up in Annunen. The only thing CMac could have done or maybe should have done is trade Georgiev for a better starter in mid season, but that’s probably easier said than done with all the other moves CMac had to make.
He was not fine last year... if you just look at the box score, you could be fooled into thinking that. He gave up a lot of soft goals in that series, and when it was as tight as it was, it was the difference. This isn't even hindsight, I was bitching about it then. He wasn't an utter trainwreck like this season, but he was giving up soft goals and in a series that went to 7 games where one or two of them make a huge difference... he's a major reason for the loss.

Annunen might be fine, but a big reason the Avs haven't gone to him is coaches are risk averse. The risk of moving to a rookie backup is just too much... where the risk of moving to Jake Allen, wouldn't be nearly as high.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm calling it from now the Avs will go into next season with Alex Nedeljkovic and Justus Annunen as their goaltenders.
Maybe since we can’t really afford an expensive goalie. Avs can’t really afford to pay more than 3 mill to a goalie so..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad