Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 6.16.22)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Edmonton won last night, 3-2. Rempe had no points on 2 shots, was a -2 and won 5 of 10 faceoffs. Seattle trails 3-1 in the series with game 5 on Saturday.

Game 4 of the OHL finals is tomorrow night at Windsor. Windsor leads the series 2-1.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There's some interesting potential in Sjalin, but before last year, he wasn't really very good at any one thing other maybe than skating. I always said with him, he looked like a guy that would have a nice career for himself in Europe, but didn't really have even one true NHL-level standout skill.

I feel like the list of guys who are drafted, and not offered a contract by their drafting team, who then go onto have NHL success has to be really, really limited. I remember, as an example, we signed Josh Nicholls, who was a guy drafted but not signed by Toronto. He ended up being ECHL-caliber.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There are only so many contract slots. Signing him probably means not signing someone else.
Yeah, that's always true, too. And honestly, most guys who are even AHL/ECHL tweeners get signed. If a team watches its own pick play for three or four years and decides he's not worth a contract, I think in 99% of the cases the team is going to be right. And if it comes down to signing a guy the team doesn't think is going to make it, or taking a flyer on someone like Brandon Scanlin, I'd rather go the latter route.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There's some interesting potential in Sjalin, but before last year, he wasn't really very good at any one thing other maybe than skating. I always said with him, he looked like a guy that would have a nice career for himself in Europe, but didn't really have even one true NHL-level standout skill.

I feel like the list of guys who are drafted, and not offered a contract by their drafting team, who then go onto have NHL success has to be really, really limited. I remember, as an example, we signed Josh Nicholls, who was a guy drafted but not signed by Toronto. He ended up being ECHL-caliber.

John Gilmour (CGY) is another one.

Reactions: nyr2k2

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I look at Stalin and he's got height but is a bit scrawny still. Decent offensive skill but he's never going to run Florida's power play. To make it he looks like a guy who is going to have defend well without being very physical because his frame isn't even close to that. That's a tough way to break in on a 3rd pair in the NHL and be really successful. To me he's going to have a real test ahead just solidifying himself in the AHL. That's what tends to happen when you don't have an outstanding skill and you don't have the bulk and defensive game that gets defensemen 5-7 D spots. Another 15 to 20 lbs.--get up to 195/200 or over might help him.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Speaking of our reserve list, maybe it’s finally time to bring Pashnin to camp.
You're probably joking, but the fact that he hasn't been called up to Russia's national team for even the world champs in his career is an indication that he's just a middling level KHL defender.

Not much to set him apart from Rykov, Valentenko, Bereglazov

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm excited about Othmann and Cuylle. I feel like these two could be with the Rangers sooner rather than later.
Excited as well. Even about Berard who is flying under the radar a bit but as others have posted I'm tempering my expectations. The more time they spend away from the big squad is better considering how they've developed so far. 2023-2024 would be the year I would imagine at least 2 of the 3 would make the roster.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Excited as well. Even about Berard who is flying under the radar a bit but as others have posted I'm tempering my expectations. The more time they spend away from the big squad is better considering how they've developed so far. 2023-2024 would be the year I would imagine at least 2 of the 3 would make the roster.
At this point in time I still think Othmann is the only one of the 3 that will make the NHL. I think Cuylle is more a product of the team and players around him. He does a great job staying in the slot and allowing others to do the work for him and pass him the puck. He's not going to be able to get away with that in the NHL.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
At this point in time I still think Othmann is the only one of the 3 that will make the NHL. I think Cuylle is more a product of the team and players around him. He does a great job staying in the slot and allowing others to do the work for him and pass him the puck. He's not going to be able to get away with that in the NHL.

At prospects camp and last year in Hartford he was more than just a passenger though.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Cuylle could make it even if he doesn't score, IMHO. He brings useful things to the table beyond that booming shot.

I'd say the same for Berard, but it's tough for guys his size if they can't contribute offensively.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Cuylle could make it even if he doesn't score, IMHO. He brings useful things to the table beyond that booming shot.

I'd say the same for Berard, but it's tough for guys his size if they can't contribute offensively.
Bernard could be our future Tyler Motte with a touch more scoring. I hope he is a little more, but his speed and tenacity will be his primary tools.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Windsor won last night, 5-2. The series is now tied 3-3 with game 7 in Hamilton tomorrow night.

Cuylle had 1g and 1a on 3 shots and was the 3rd star. He was +1 and 6 of 10 on faceoffs. Watching the highlights, he had a good chance on the PK that he rang off the post. His assist was a primary off a faceoff win by Johnson, and his goal was a nice deflection right it front of the goalie.

Edmonton won last night 2-0 to win the WHL championship. Rempe had no points and was even on 3 shots. He had 2 PIMs and was 8 of 12 on faceoffs. His penalty for checking from behind led to Edmonton's goal on the PP, which ended up being all they needed to get the win.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal

Usually big guys who can skate well, will stick if they have decent skills. He made the Canada WJC last year and think that he is an interesting prospect to keep an eye on, for a bottom six role in 2-3 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad