Value of: Sedins to Detroit scenario

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Detroit just lost out on Stamkos they now lack a top 6 scoring threat down the middle and have some cap space thanks to Arizona. With aging top players in Zetterberg and Kronwall and a youth ovement on the door step in the next year or two. Detroit makes sense to go after big ticket players to fill gaps to continue to compete for a playoff spot.

Vancouver atm looks like free agents may not want to come here after all. With Lucic off the list and Okposo ,Eriksson and Ladd seeming less and less likely to sign here there isn't much players left that can help Van over this hump ownership seems to think they can limp over.After the FA frenzy dust settles ownership may be forced to actually ok a rebuild instead of retooling.

Athaniasou, Mantha and Larkin are more than likely off the table from Det and Vans 1st is off the table as well. I'm going to throw something at the wall and maybe it will stick, if not whatevs let's here what you think.

Detroit receives
Sedins 35% retained
Prospect
(Probably another roster player here to balance out roster number)

Vancouver receives
Ouellet
Pulkinen
Sproul
1st 2017
Vitale
Franzen

Canucks end up with dead weight (franzen may play another season) in order to hit the cap floor and recieve great prospects that have fallen down the depth chart in Detroit and would be given the minutes and spots to play in Van. Van also recieves a much needed 1st round pick.

Detroit receives 2 first line players with godly chemistry that would fair very well in that east division on discount rate. Sedins will start to decline but the way they play the game will easily be able to put up points and play against opponents top lines. They alson only have a year after this one left so Detroit won't be left on the hook.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Haha prob don't want any of those players.

Start with 2017 and 2018 1sts. Add Mantha +

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
The thing with Van rebuilding is it can't happen unless the Sedins are moved.

We just this week with Linden on Hamhuis heard him comment "he can expect to be a FA" that's just business, Hamhuis was loved by the city and team was here through our best years and now bye, cya later! Yes the Sedins are heroes in Vancity without a doubt and should and most likely will retire Canucks, but you can't deny that this isnt somthing that rattles around the minds of Benning and Co. around this time of year.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

We just this week with Linden on Hamhuis heard him comment "he can expect to be a FA" that's just business, Hamhuis was loved by the city and team was here through our best years and now bye, cya later! Yes the Sedins are heroes in Vancity without a doubt and should and most likely will retire Canucks, but you can't deny that this isnt somthing that rattles around the minds of Benning and Co. around this time of year.

Nah the Sedins are basically the only thing this team has going for it in terms of present talent. We are rebuilding and they are helping teach these young guys how to be pros. And if they last a few more yrs maybe these prospects can step in.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Cool, crazier stuff has happend. Hell did freeze over on Wednesday after all.

I do not think trading for the Sedins is a horrible idea. I actually like the deal you propose.

I think its kind of the wrong direction for our team to take. But Retained salary, removal of Franzen... These are nice adds.

I really like the Sedins though. So im biased.

Our team clearly needs to be younger... but id much prefer to take the sedins than sign 30+ year old UFA's for 6-7 years.... which we might do tommorow.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
I do not think trading for the Sedins is a horrible idea. I actually like the deal you propose.

I think its kind of the wrong direction for our team to take. But Retained salary, removal of Franzen... These are nice adds.

I really like the Sedins though. So im biased.

Our team clearly needs to be younger... but id much prefer to take the sedins than sign 30+ year old UFA's for 6-7 years.... which we might do tommorow.

Yeah I tried to take both teams needs into consideration. I would be very sad to see the Sedins traded no matter the return, I just think from the business perspective these two teams makes sense in that regard. Sedins would retire or their contracts would end just in time for the the new regime in Detroit to take over.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
This could work if Sedins agrees on the trade, Vancouver are trapped in Limbo when they're not competitive enough for a playoff run, and they don't want to go full rebuild in respect of the Sedins. I would love to see the twins get a decent shot at the cup. But it's up to themselves, to be honest they are not getting faster by the years. All trade-threads on hfboards always get flooded with "Wont happen" "This isn't a video game" etc etc.

Just trying to be constructive here.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Nah the Sedins are basically the only thing this team has going for it in terms of present talent. We are rebuilding and they are helping teach these young guys how to be pros. And if they last a few more yrs maybe these prospects can step in.

There has to be a passing of the torch tho. Obviously we don't have the talent to take over right away, but, the future of this team is with Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Hutton now and these guys need to be given the responsibility and not just rely on the Sedins until they fizzle and retire. Sometimes it's a good idea for an organization to give their chicks a push and see if there parents(sedins) taught them how to fly.

Not to mention if we were rebuilding and it was known the Sedins wouldn't really want to be here. They want to win. Although their the nicest guys in the league and would probably bare a grin til the end.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This could work if Sedins agrees on the trade, Vancouver are trapped in Limbo when they're not competitive enough for a playoff run, and they don't want to go full rebuild in respect of the Sedins. I would love to see the twins get a decent shot at the cup. But it's up to themselves, to be honest they are not getting faster by the years. All trade-threads on hfboards always get flooded with "Wont happen" "This isn't a video game" etc etc.

Just trying to be constructive here.

The biggest problem with trading the sedins is... you kind of have to take both of them, and that is more salary than any team can take...

Except Detroit has a big window of money here as a result of Datsyuk leaving. With you guys retaining some, we do have room for both of them, and with only 2 years each.. I like it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Vancouver are trapped in Limbo when they're not competitive enough for a playoff run

Kind of the problem with Detroit right now, too. Have you seen the Wings defense? The last 2 seasons it's been the worst blueline of the 16 playoff teams. They aren't winning anything with that, even if you unite all of Team Sweden at forward.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I think the value is close, that Wings 1st pick could be a lot higher than many people think. I think if the Wings want to compete for the Cup this year, this would be a good deal to look at. Not sure if its realistic at all, and feel like Detroit would need to add something else. Interesting idea though.

Sedin-Sedin-Nyquist
Abby-Larkin-Z
AA-Sheahan-Mantha
Jurco-Glendening-Miller

Is actually a pretty decent forward lineup, trade Tatar for a dman and you could have a 2 year window to get lucky and win a playoff series or two.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
I think the value is close, that Wings 1st pick could be a lot higher than many people think. I think if the Wings want to compete for the Cup this year, this would be a good deal to look at. Not sure if its realistic at all, and feel like Detroit would need to add something else. Interesting idea though.

Sedin-Sedin-Nyquist
Abby-Larkin-Z
AA-Sheahan-Mantha
Jurco-Glendening-Miller

Is actually a pretty decent forward lineup, trade Tatar for a dman and you could have a 2 year window to get lucky and win a playoff series or two.

Was just going to add that Tatar part, if they can move him or Nyquist for a top4 and move Howard in the process somewhere too, adding a guy like demers or polak thru UFA could help the bluline and turn this team into a darkhorse in the playoffs

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Hamhuis is a ufa, Benning is in 100% in control of whether or not he has the option of returning .

The Sedin's are signed with NMC contracts. Good luck with that Benning.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It's an interesting idea. If the Wings want to have a decent crack at making the Finals in the next couple of years, they should at least explore this. The Sedins would also be great vets to teach the next generation of players in Detroit how to be pros. Not saying it's needed, but it doesn't hurt. I also thing the Sedins would see a little resurgence in the point totals or production in the East.

I doubt it will happen, but crazier things have taken place.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Good. "Rebuilds" are stupid.

Proven over and over again with, you know, facts.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
No,no hell no and no. We need a rebuild worse than you guys!

Actually, I take that back. I'll take em for that offer,retain another 15%and flip em for 3x the value you're asking. You basically want our first next year and a pile of junk.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Good. "Rebuilds" are stupid.

Proven over and over again with, you know, facts.

Considerating since the salary cap entered the discussion the recent cup winners Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA were built around players drafted high in the draft due to sucking...intentional or not. I'd disagree with the proven statement.

Having said that as an Oiler fan I'm sick of my team drafting in the lottery.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Detroit just lost out on Stamkos they now lack a top 6 scoring threat down the middle and have some cap space thanks to Arizona. With aging top players in Zetterberg and Kronwall and a youth ovement on the door step in the next year or two. Detroit makes sense to go after big ticket players to fill gaps to continue to compete for a playoff spot.

Vancouver atm looks like free agents may not want to come here after all. With Lucic off the list and Okposo ,Eriksson and Ladd seeming less and less likely to sign here there isn't much players left that can help Van over this hump ownership seems to think they can limp over.After the FA frenzy dust settles ownership may be forced to actually ok a rebuild instead of retooling.

Athaniasou, Mantha and Larkin are more than likely off the table from Det and Vans 1st is off the table as well. I'm going to throw something at the wall and maybe it will stick, if not whatevs let's here what you think.

Detroit receives
Sedins 35% retained
Prospect
(Probably another roster player here to balance out roster number)

Vancouver receives
Ouellet
Pulkinen
Sproul
1st 2017
Vitale
Franzen

Canucks end up with dead weight (franzen may play another season) in order to hit the cap floor and recieve great prospects that have fallen down the depth chart in Detroit and would be given the minutes and spots to play in Van. Van also recieves a much needed 1st round pick.

Detroit receives 2 first line players with godly chemistry that would fair very well in that east division on discount rate. Sedins will start to decline but the way they play the game will easily be able to put up points and play against opponents top lines. They alson only have a year after this one left so Detroit won't be left on the hook.

Absolutely NOT.

Detroit already has enough spare parts.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Was just going to add that Tatar part, if they can move him or Nyquist for a top4 and move Howard in the process somewhere too, adding a guy like demers or polak thru UFA could help the bluline and turn this team into a darkhorse in the playoffs

Why do some people want to move Nyquist or Tatar so badly? We're going to need them for at least a few years to help with our scoring problem, at least until Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, ETC find their groove. People talk about their lack of production last year. People forget that the entire TEAM had that problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad