Injury Report: Souray out 4-6 months

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
What I find interesting is he injured it on July 17. He had surgery on July 25. The team only announced it now. And they only made a move (Fistric) now.

Maybe they finally had a followup visit and got a timetable just now? It also speaks to the lack of a hockey media presence. We pretty much only have the Register. Wood moved to PBP, and Stephens moved to the Reg. Although I believe Stephens was already mostly let go by the Times by then (he covered only home games or something?).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I bet Lindholm will be exercising like a mad man now. The spot is his to take after TC.

Naw. Lindholm, from all the video's of his training between both off-seasons, seems to already self-motivated. And that's why I like Lindholm a lot. You don't have to worry about him and his fitness. It's that damned concussion and the reduced number of reps that costed him games at the AHL and Worlds that's holding him back.

I really think the defensive Twins will make a debut on the NHL ice. (When I say Twins, I'm referring the the movie with Arnold and Danny Devito.) Sbisa could be the odd defenseman out. Of course, this is me being very, very hopeful. But after witnessing Sbisa usually being out of place and putting everyone else in an odd disposition, I'm ready to part with him as he does carry a lot of potential to other teams seeing that he's still young.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Fowler-Beauch
Sbisa-Lovejoy
Allen-Vatanen

I dont see any other way without making one pairing really weak.

Fowler-Lovejoy
Beauch-Vatanen
Allen-Sbisa*

*(Shuddering... I'd rather have Lindholm here because we've all seen how Sbisa usually leaves Allen on an island; whereas Lindholm is a much more team disciplined defenseman - according to Norfolk coaches).

The top four makes for a safe choice. Also, it helps to make that transition of Fowler becoming the top defenseman. Beauch is very good defensively and attaching Vatanen to him Beauch with his experience may help Vatanen's defense, seeing that is Vatanen's weakness.

If Lindholm surpasses Sbisa, then I'd rather trade Sbisa than to waste him as a 7th defenseman nor can we send down to the AHL. But in trading Sbisa, we open a can of worms because we will lack depth on the back end. So if we do trade Sbisa, then it has to be for young defenseman and hope we none of our defensemen get injured.

Bleah, after typing that, I guess we can't get rid of Sbisa and keep either Lindholm or Vatanen down on the farm if we're presuming that injuries are a part of the game and Fistric is not a viable, mid-term solution. Unless O'Brien or Clark show great improvement, after Lindholm and Vats, we got nada. Ugh... I just depressed myself. ha ha ha

getzforfighting*

What I find interesting is he injured it on July 17. He had surgery on July 25. The team only announced it now. And they only made a move (Fistric) now.

Maybe they finally had a followup visit and got a timetable just now? It also speaks to the lack of a hockey media presence. We pretty much only have the Register. Wood moved to PBP, and Stephens moved to the Reg. Although I believe Stephens was already mostly let go by the Times by then (he covered only home games or something?).

If it was announced Souray was going to miss some time, free agents and other teams could have upped their prices to the ducks knowing we were in trouble.

Smart move by a budget team. I had seen some Oiler fans claim Fistric wanted 1.8

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
If it was announced Souray was going to miss some time, free agents and other teams could have upped their prices to the ducks knowing we were in trouble.

Smart move by a budget team. I had seen some Oiler fans claim Fistric wanted 1.8
I can see why the team might not want to announce it. I guess what I meant that it's still surprising that a) it took this long to sign a replacement and b) it wasn't leaked somehow before now.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
As of right now Sbisa is our 2nd best healthy defenseman (behind only Fowler). He's not going to be traded or be sitting on opening night.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
As of right now Sbisa is our 2nd best healthy defenseman (behind only Fowler). He's not going to be traded or be sitting on opening night.

Disagree with you there. I'd take Allen and Lovejoy ahead of Sbisa until he proves to me he's better. Yes, he has more potential, but I haven't seen him be anything more than a decent 3rd pairing defenseman in his whole career. Lovejoy, Allen, and Sbisa are all 3rd pairing guys...Allen and Lovejoy being more proven.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Disagree with you there. I'd take Allen and Lovejoy ahead of Sbisa until he proves to me he's better. Yes, he has more potential, but I haven't seen him be anything more than a decent 3rd pairing defenseman in his whole career. Lovejoy, Allen, and Sbisa are all 3rd pairing guys...Allen and Lovejoy being more proven.

Allen you can make the argument for. Lovejoy not so much - the guy was a #7-8 for years with Pittsburgh and had about 20 decent games for us last year where I'd say he was a good #5. That's less proven than Sbisa IMO. Sbisa's stretch of 20 or so games in 12-13 was far better than what Lovejoy did last year too IMO.

It just shows how bad our defense is. I'm far from a Sbisa fan but we're going to really rely on him next year.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Bring on the youth movement! Super stoked!!! Sucks for Souray but now we can see what we have here

Are you still going to be screaming for a youth movement if our blue line just isn't good enough? At what point does your obsession with youth become overshadowed by losing games?

Ducksgo*

Are you still going to be screaming for a youth movement if our blue line just isn't good enough? At what point does your obsession with youth become overshadowed by losing games?

Our season hasn't started yet and Vatanen looked half way decent on our blue last season. If we finally let him branch out we can see what we have here. I believe in these prospects to do good things here. Why don't you have any faith? You're always so damn critical Soj geeze man

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Our season hasn't started yet and Vatanen looked half way decent on our blue last season. If we finally let him branch out we can see what we have here. I believe in these prospects to do good things here. Why don't you have any faith? You're always so damn critical Soj geeze man

Sami looked halfway decent in a very sheltered role, in a handful of games. I think he's a talented kid, with a bright future, but all this youth movement stuff just screams of instant gratification with your shiny new toy, and that isn't how it works. Young players, even talented ones, need time to develop and you typically want to ease them slowly into the NHL. You don't just throw them off a cliff and expect them to fly. What happens, in your calculations, if Vatanen struggles a bit? If, like 99% of the young players, he has growing pains?

As for our youth, I have a lot of faith in them. I consider our prospect pool to be among the best in the NHL, and I'm absolutely thrilled to see what comes of it. On the other hand, I've also seen what happens to teams who need to lean on their youth to do heavy lifting, and most of the time it turns out pretty ugly. The number one reason? Young players are inconsistent.

Up front we're lucky because we still have the big boys in Getzlaf and Perry, and our hope is that our young forwards can provide secondary scoring. I actually think we're in pretty good shape there. We could even be one of the better offensive teams if the young kids can step up, and Selanne looks better than last season. On the blue line, however, we're in kind of a tough spot. Even if Beauchemin can start the season, I'm not optimistic he'll be 100%. That means we may only have one healthy top 4 defenseman in Cam Fowler. One. That doesn't fill me with warm, fuzzy feelings heading into the season. If Fowler can't take another big step, and Sbisa can't breakout, we might be in for a very tough start to the season. I'm not even going to get into your desire to start Gibson, while we have Fasth and Hiller.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I personally think Sami is 100% ready for a top 6 role. Lindholm is more of a wild card to me.

I think you misunderstand. This isn't about Sami in a top six role. It's about going into the season with one healthy top 4 defenseman, and filling the rest of the blue line up with 3rd pairing guys.

getzforfighting*

anyone think fistric could complement vatanen pretty good on the bottom pair? I feel fistrics extra footspeed makes them perfect partners for the bottom pair. Better than allen IMO

fowler-lovejoy
sbisa-allen
fistric-vatanen

poop but thats how i see it to start.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
anyone think fistric could complement vatanen pretty good on the bottom pair? I feel fistrics extra footspeed makes them perfect partners for the bottom pair. Better than allen IMO

I'd feel very uncomfortable putting Fistric with an offensive defenseman. Smart decisions are not really what he's known for.

Ducksgo*

Sami looked halfway decent in a very sheltered role, in a handful of games. I think he's a talented kid, with a bright future, but all this youth movement stuff just screams of instant gratification with your shiny new toy, and that isn't how it works. Young players, even talented ones, need time to develop and you typically want to ease them slowly into the NHL. You don't just throw them off a cliff and expect them to fly. What happens, in your calculations, if Vatanen struggles a bit? If, like 99% of the young players, he has growing pains?

As for our youth, I have a lot of faith in them. I consider our prospect pool to be among the best in the NHL, and I'm absolutely thrilled to see what comes of it. On the other hand, I've also seen what happens to teams who need to lean on their youth to do heavy lifting, and most of the time it turns out pretty ugly. The number one reason? Young players are inconsistent.

Up front we're lucky because we still have the big boys in Getzlaf and Perry, and our hope is that our young forwards can provide secondary scoring. I actually think we're in pretty good shape there. We could even be one of the better offensive teams if the young kids can step up, and Selanne looks better than last season. On the blue line, however, we're in kind of a tough spot. Even if Beauchemin can start the season, I'm not optimistic he'll be 100%. That means we may only have one healthy top 4 defenseman in Cam Fowler. One. That doesn't fill me with warm, fuzzy feelings heading into the season. If Fowler can't take another big step, and Sbisa can't breakout, we might be in for a very tough start to the season. I'm not even going to get into your desire to start Gibson, while we have Fasth and Hiller.

What are we suppose to do with Sami? He's already dominated the AHL as a defenseman and with 8 gp in ANA he got 2 goals. You gotta eventually let the birds out the nest so they can fly. And I'm hoping its this year for the kid. We finally have a solid opportunity to see this guy play until Souray is healthy. And I'm excited about it. But some members need to stop being so critical. And this "let them develop" is a bit overused on these forums. Let the kid have some real NHL time and then critic the performance.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
What are we suppose to do with Sami? He's already dominated the AHL as a defenseman and with 8 gp in ANA he got 2 goals. You gotta eventually let the birds out the nest so they can fly. And I'm hoping its this year for the kid. We finally have a solid opportunity to see this guy play until Souray is healthy. And I'm excited about it. But some members need to stop being so critical. And this "let them develop" is a bit overused on these forums. Let the kid have some real NHL time and then critic the performance.

Did you bother to read any of what I said?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'd go with this:

With Beauch:

Fowler-Beauch
Sbisa-Lovejoy
Allen-Vatanen
Fistric

Lindholm starts in the AHL

Without Beauch:

Sbisa-Fowler
Lindholm-Lovejoy
Allen-Vatanen
Fistric

I miss Lydman already :(

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'd go with this:

With Beauch:

Fowler-Beauch
Sbisa-Lovejoy
Allen-Vatanen
Fistric

Lindholm starts in the AHL

Without Beauch:

Sbisa-Fowler
Lindholm-Lovejoy
Allen-Vatanen
Fistric

I miss Lydman already :(

Without Beauchemin, that is all kinds of ugly. :laugh: Pretty good pairings, though. I really wish we had another top 4 guy. It could really change the dynamic.

Ducksgo*

Did you bother to read any of what I said?

After reading your first paragraph I already disagreed. Your saying we should let them develop and ease them in slowly. We already have last season giving him 8 games. He's dominated the AHL and gave our blue some scoring last season. While he was up. So why should I read further? You're wrong on this development crap Soj you can't keep these players in the AHL for a lifetime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad