GDT: The Annual Trade Deadline Thread: The Cowards Did It!

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Vegas loses, Stars now 1 point back with 4 (4!) games in hand. Dallas is in one of the worst spots a franchise can be in, not going anywhere and stuck with terrible contracts, but I'm happy they made small additions to make a push as they really should get in over Vegas.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Really loved listening to his presser today. He strikes a great balance between sharing the work that went into building this team and how he helped orchestrate it, while deferring credit to all those around him. Fantastic leadership.

Agreed, just super thoughtful and honest. You can tell he truly cares about building a great team here. If nothing else, you know he’s trying.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I gotta think we know something about Korshkov coming over next season, or there really wasn' t a reason to add him to the deal.
Again, not to get political, but I wonder if teams are taking shots on Russian players, because they have a good feeling that they'll come over due to the economic situation in Russia.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I gotta think we know something about Korshkov coming over next season, or there really wasn' t a reason to add him to the deal.
Could just be required to make the three way work, ie can’t trade future considerations twice,

I think Zito took a fly on this kid: we will need AHl depth next year given the attrition to the prospect core

Reactions: harv33173

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
So Ottawa didn't disclose the no-trade to Vegas.

Vegas trades Daddy to Anaheim without letting him know first, who was on his no trade list.

Man that really sucks for Dads.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Seems odd that teams have to be relied upon to pass the info along to the next team. Should be easy of course but this is 2022 - why are we playing telephone with this information?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Looking at his history he had one decent year in the A with The Marlies, then one game with The Leafs, where he scored his only NHL goal, then to The KHL.

Odd.
In that article Knighty linked it says Korshkov cited he needed playing time because ahl season was put on hold, and he knew he wasn't gonna get playing time with Leafs in the playoffs. I would say this kid just prefers playing in khl than nhl, but then why come over to the Marlies? He must want to play in the nhl, just wants an opportunity. Although I can't be 100% sure.

Reactions: Mase and harv33173

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
No one is leaving Russia soon
I mean, right now you still can leave if you have money and if your family isn't an issue. Although for how long is the question, and stuff like visa might be a problem.

I'm kinda disappointed this was the trade. Carolina has a lot of prospects; why do we get the soon-to-be 26 guy with potential political issues (that are not Korshkov's fault, but still)? We lose his rights in a year so he'd have to come over this offseason. Weird situation.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I mean, right now you still can leave if you have money and if your family isn't an issue. Although for how long is the question, and stuff like visa might be a problem.

I'm kinda disappointed this was the trade. Carolina has a lot of prospects; why do we get the soon-to-be 26 guy with potential political issues (that are not Korshkov's fault, but still)? We lose his rights in a year so he'd have to come over this offseason. Weird situation.
We retain 25%, they're not giving us a good prospect on top of a 6th.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

If anyone is wondering what a trade call looks like. Fun fact, that 3rd round pick became Panthers legend Jonathan Racine.

Interesting. I thought they actually went through and verified all of that stuff while they were on the phone. Seems weird that they just ask the GMs if this keeps them cap compliant and they just have to say yes lol?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Interesting. I thought they actually went through and verified all of that stuff while they were on the phone. Seems weird that they just ask the GMs if this keeps them cap compliant and they just have to say yes lol?
I thought so too, so I thought maybe the Panthers and Caps just staged this, but no, I found this one, and it's the exact same lol. I can't believe things like the Dadonov trade don't happen regularly.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

imo at that point, before the TDL, they just have to keep record of what the transactions were and later on they'll verify it those were compliant with the rules. Essentially the GMs could say whatever they want on the phone but I'd assume that the league will make sure that rules were followed or otherwise they'll just call back the illegal trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad