GDT: The Annual Trade Deadline Thread: The Cowards Did It!

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Again, not to get political, but I wonder if teams are taking shots on Russian players, because they have a good feeling that they'll come over due to the economic situation in Russia.

I think it doesn't take a long time before NHL suspends all Russian players. It's one of the last sports organizations in the world that hasn't done it yet. We might start to see people boycotting the whole league if it continues like nothing has happened.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I think it doesn't take a long time before NHL suspends all Russian players. It's one of the last sports organizations in the world that hasn't done it yet. We might start to see people boycotting the whole league if it continues like nothing has happened.

Or we just might see the league not caring about it because the vast majority of the customers do not care about it. They probably could do some type of knee jerk reaction in order to appease the masses but it's unlikely that the NHL will ban a player base that's roughly the size of an NHL roster (~40 players).

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I just noticed Johansson is on injure reserve. Not gonna lie. Kinda scared we only have 2 goalies and nobody alive in AHL

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I thought so too, so I thought maybe the Panthers and Caps just staged this, but no, I found this one, and it's the exact same lol. I can't believe things like the Dadonov trade don't happen regularly.

Omg.

And teams were on hold for close to 4 hours yesterday?

Holy shit. Imagine the guys face when the trade is random goalie #5 for future considerations lmaoooo

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The Gambler twitter said Leafs called on Varlamov lmaoooooo

They wanted a goalie so bad

Gambler should be credible by now but I get it the history thing. He broke the MSL coaching thing even Friedman acknowledged it lmao

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
One thing worth mentioning regarding being so all in this year -- We have $6.75M of dead cap next year with Yandle's buyout + Scott Darling buyout.

There are many reasons why going all in now makes sense. But we simply couldn't afford it next season to the same extent we are now. Especially when you factor in raises for barkov and Verhaege.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
wasn't sure where to ask this...has there been much analytics work done on regular season vs. playoffs? There are so many differences in playoffs - different intensity, clutch players, less penalties, playing same opponent, etc.

I ask because of how some types of players (i.e. Chia, Hagg) grade poorly on analytics in the regular season, but theoretically have a game better suited for the playoffs. I wonder if these guys would grade out better in the playoffs, but there just isn't good enough sample size. Or maybe the factors that impact the game have different importance in regular season vs. playoffs.

I've seen work on things like teams that outhit the opponents still typically get outscored, but I think that could be flawed because it wouldn't take into account the hits that don't get counted (i.e. behind the scenes stuff when neither player has the puck). There's also the fact that a team like Colorado playing in a weaker division will have better analytics, but come playoff time, they'll eventually have to play against a stronger opponent in the finals.

Anyways...any work on this stuff?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

BC was our favorite D; Giroux was favorite C. Wanted to remove loan on other guys (talks about Chiarot)...Chiarot is a couple of defensemen in one. Chiarot fit our needs.

As much as I didn't want Chiarot, I trust ZIto.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Feel really bad for Dadonov, he either goes to a team he doesn't want or Vegas mvoes him somewhere else and his season is over (players traded after TDL cannot play for their teams until the next season).

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Feel really bad for Dadonov, he either goes to a team he doesn't want or Vegas mvoes him somewhere else and his season is over (players traded after TDL cannot play for their teams until the next season).

There ought to be some kind of arbitration for this. Team essentially f***ed over the player through its own incompetence.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad