The Fate of Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I could see a slow start to the season and shaky goaltending from Murray and Samsonov being the catalyst for a Dubas/Keefe dismissal a la Babcock two months into in 2019-20.

But I think it would be for the slow erosion of talent in the Leafs system and drift away from the original trajectory of the Shanaplan than what happened in free agency this year.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I could see a slow start to the season and shaky goaltending from Murray and Samsonov being the catalyst for a Dubas/Keefe dismissal a la Babcock two months into in 2019-20.

But I think it would be for the slow erosion of talent in the Leafs system and drift away from the original trajectory of the Shanaplan than what happened in free agency this year.
Yes.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I want him to trade Nylander and sign Stastny for 6 million so everyone will be happy we wasted money.

Reactions: freshwind

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'll save any worrying for when the depth signings are forced into roles well beyond their capabilities.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
To me, for the gamble he has made on goaltending this year, his job should be the stakes. It is risky, bordering on reckless.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Not too difficult to predict his fate. If this team flops because of the goaltending he's cooked. This team is good enough to do some damage if they can get some f***ing saves. If they don't and their out in round 1 again for the 7th straight playoffs then sayonara. I like Dubas as a person and think he's made a decent amount of good moves, but after a certain point you need to get a new voice with a new vision.

Another first round failure will be the 5th straight with Tavares on a 7 year deal which took up a huge chunk of cap space. Matthews and Nylander would each be one year away from UFA, so would Muzzin and Brodie who are key parts of the defence built by Dubas. Keefe who is Dubas' guy as coach will have failed for the fourth straight year to get out of round one, and he fired a guy who cost $50 million to sign and was only barely halfway through his contract to promote his buddy. Dubas has also burned through a not insignificant amount of first round picks trying to get this team over the hump, and has seen talent like Andersen, Hyman, Campbell, Van Riemsdyk, and Bozak walk for nothing and getting no assets in return.

There will be a lot of reasons to let him go if next season ends in the same pathetic first round exit again. Of course there's a world where Murray bounces back and is healthy or Samsonov shows why he was a first round pick in 2015, but the chances are pretty grim for both outcomes. Hell he might find another Campbell mid-season, a backup with untapped potential who could save them if the goaltending struggles again.

I hope it doesn't come to having to fire him. I really hope his bet pays off and the Leafs go on a run of some kind in the playoffs. Not because I desperately want Dubas to keep his job, but I want this f***ing team to win something for Goddamn once and having playoff success will likely be key for getting Matthews to re-sign before he would want to test free agency.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
unicornrainbowpoop.gif

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
To me, for the gamble he has made on goaltending this year, his job should be the stakes. It is risky, bordering on reckless.

It is clear, if he is going down it will be on his terms. How ironic in that that is the same thinking Babs had. Always bet on Babs. Wrong dummy.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
If Murray and Sams play well and we improve on 4th and 100+ points… folks be saying, Dubas got lucky, still run him outta town.

Reactions: Dayjobdave

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If we get decent goaltending and injury luck, we're probably top 3 or 5 team in the league.

So yes, fire everyone.

Reactions: Lauro

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
depth is an important consideration
What's hilarious is how many people forget that Martin St. Louis was 24, released by two teams, and barely made the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2003... And then he exploded. It's why I don't get angry about picking up depth players, unless they show to be incapable and then the team keeps playing them as if they were capable (see Justin Holl) - because you just NEVER KNOW.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What a terrible offseason
Gaudette, Aube Kubel, Malgin, Benn, Mete

Some of these players are playing game 1. These are not all players for marlies, these are game 1 players which is scary as hell.

The bottom 6 up front is atrocious.

In order to see Leafs vision you have to ask yourself this question; If the Leafs had access to these new signings for last playoffs at the expense of players like Mikheyev, Spezza, Kase, Blackwell, Lyubushkin etc instead would the Leafs have beaten Tampa Bay in round #1 with better supporting depth?

That is essentially what Leafs management is banking on if they meet Tampa Bay again next year or another strong team that these new additions at the expense of last years subtractions are the difference makers between winning or losing in round #1.

Not everyone is on board or able to see this vision and are a little skeptical, while others are fully onboard with the improvements and the direction being taken. Others will tell you these are still early days and Dubas has simply prioritized all the depth moves first, and then the real roster moves to improve the team for playoff contention are still coming but as a secondary priority.

Last edited:

Osmows OReilly

Jun 26, 2022
Guys let’s be honest, if any other team in the league lost in the first round six straight times with practically the same management, coaching and players, and seemingly refuse to make any major changes to get over the hump, we’d all be rightfully clowning them. Yet with the Leafs it’s always the same excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad