The Fate of Dubas

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
the kyle dubas era in a nutsheel -> using food analogy (p.s. it is a real menu and it pisses me off as a Leafs fan but then I see who is still at the helm running the show and.....)

Reactions: nuck and geo25

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Dubas was an idiot

It's a fact. This season, the Leafs spent 48.5% of their salary cap on their top four forwards - Auston Matthews, John Tavares, Mitch Marner, and William Nylander - according to CapFriendly. The Avalanche dedicate 44.3% to their top four, made up of three forwards and a defenseman. The Oilers pay 43.5% to their top four, also three forwards and a defender. The Bruins spend 40% on their top four, two forwards and two defensemen. You see the pattern here. The New York Rangers are closest to Toronto with 45.1% of the cap allotted to four guys, but they include two forwards and two defenders

You need a #1D to win playoff rounds

Source

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Dubas was an idiot

It's a fact. This season, the Leafs spent 48.5% of their salary cap on their top four forwards - Auston Matthews, John Tavares, Mitch Marner, and William Nylander - according to CapFriendly. The Avalanche dedicate 44.3% to their top four, made up of three forwards and a defenseman. The Oilers pay 43.5% to their top four, also three forwards and a defender. The Bruins spend 40% on their top four, two forwards and two defensemen. You see the pattern here. The New York Rangers are closest to Toronto with 45.1% of the cap allotted to four guys, but they include two forwards and two defenders

Source

Not that I dispute the first statement, but....

The top four players in terms of salary were Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Rielly. Their combined hit was over 49% of the cap.

Nylander was only the fifth highest paid.

This coming year will be worse, as Matty, Willy, JT, and Mitch will take up over 53% of the (projected) cap, with only the first two being close to value.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

The top four players in terms of salary were Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Rielly. Their combined hit was over 49% of the cap.

This coming year will be worse, as Matty, Willy, JT, and Mitch will take up over 53% of the (projected) cap, with only the first two being close to value.
Didn’t realize it was 53% now. They can’t bring back the core 4 at over 53%.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Didn’t realize it was 53% now. They can’t bring back the core 4 at over 53%.

Florida had 45% last year on 4 forwards (+ their dead cap)...

If you compare it to the 48.5% we had this year, we are talking about a difference of just under 3 million.

Teams have done well with similar cap allocations.

It is not about the allocation but about the execution.

Florida had a 53% cap spent on their top 4 contracts plus dead cap space last year, like above, it is execution more than allocation.

Just for reference, Florida had around 6.5 million in buyouts.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Dubas was an idiot

Source

As I said before, the real problem is that the core4 cannot score in the playoffs, titans in the regular season but midgets in the playoff.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Highly recommend checking out the latest episode of the Staff and Graph podcast.

TL;DR: Shanahan hasn't lived in Toronto the entire time he's been President. Has lived in New York. Numerous times over the Dubas era Shanahan has been unreachable via phone/text. The issue with this is Dubas needed Shanahan's permission to make certain trades. Last season, on good authority, Dubas had a time sensitive trade worked out and Shanahan was unreachable. Other teams GM got impatient and Dubas decided to go straight to the board to get permission. This led to the big power struggle between the two and ultimately ended with Dubas saying if you don't allow me to have permission to speak to the board, then there is no point in me being the GM anymore.

edit: Listening even more. They mention that last season there was a trade so massive that it would have shook the entire NHL let alone the Leafs. It was bigger than that rumoured Hagel+Fleury trade. Shanahan was MIA and could not be reached by Dubas. So he went to get board approval without Shanahan.. Board contacted Shanny later and Shanny said no.

They mention afterwards that the player(s) that would have been coming back to Toronto are still on the team they were on. So it wasn't the Karlsson deal that was rumoured to be nixed by Shanny.

Reactions: TMLife17

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Highly recommend checking out the latest episode of the Staff and Graph podcast.

TL;DR: Shanahan hasn't lived in Toronto the entire time he's been President. Has lived in New York. Numerous times over the Dubas era Shanahan has been unreachable via phone/text. The issue with this is Dubas needed Shanahan's permission to make certain trades. Last season, on good authority, Dubas had a time sensitive trade worked out and Shanahan was unreachable. Other teams GM got impatient and Dubas decided to go straight to the board to get permission. This led to the big power struggle between the two and ultimately ended with Dubas saying if you don't allow me to have permission to speak to the board, then there is no point in me being the GM anymore.

edit: Listening even more. They mention that last season there was a trade so massive that it would have shook the entire NHL let alone the Leafs. It was bigger than that rumoured Hagel+Fleury trade. Shanahan was MIA and could not be reached by Dubas. So he went to get board approval without Shanahan.. Board contacted Shanny later and Shanny said no.

They mention afterwards that the player(s) that would have been coming back to Toronto are still on the team they were on. So it wasn't the Karlsson deal that was rumoured to be nixed by Shanny.
How do these people know all this yet it's never come out before?
Unless they give details sounds like they are just looking for attention.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No, this issue is , they are all forwards, no defenseman or a goalie in those 4.
It is about the allocation, it’s not distributed right.
It is also the fact that playoffs are guys see a huge drop off in value

Tavares barely scrapes by giving us 4-5M in value

Matthews/Marner/Nylander all are 2-3M overpaid come playoffs time

Tkachuk, Ekblad, Barkov, Bob all give surplus value come playoffs these past 2 years

That + montour, verhaghe, forsling all being 2-3M surplus value players lets them get away with that type of allocation

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It is also the fact that playoffs are guys see a huge drop off in value

Tavares barely scrapes by giving us 4-5M in value

Matthews/Marner/Nylander all are 2-3M overpaid come playoffs time

Tkachuk, Ekblad, Barkov, Bob all give surplus value come playoffs these past 2 years

That + montour, verhaghe, forsling all being 2-3M surplus value players lets them get away with that type of allocation
I wasn’t referring to just one team, none of the teams have 4 forwards in allocation.

But agree Florida is ahead in playoffs.

Reactions: hamzarocks

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

the funny thing about these stories is they make absolutely no sense

-why would Dubas be working on a trade so massive it would shake the NHL without Shanny having zero knowledge of it and if he did have knowledge of the framework of the deal why wouldn't he just have killed it before it was finalized ?

-why would the board be able to reach Shanny but not Dubas ?

-why would Dubas wait until the trade was finalized before asking for permission if he could make it , surely such a massive trade took time to negotiate and involved many people in Leafs mgmt so they should have been plenty of time for Dubas to ask Shanny if he approved and to get board approval ?

-why would it take a year plus for this massive story to be leaked ?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
the funny thing about these stories is they make absolutely no sense

-why would Dubas be working on a trade so massive it would shake the NHL without Shanny having zero knowledge of it and if he did have knowledge of the framework of the deal why wouldn't he just have killed it before it was finalized ?

-why would the board be able to reach Shanny but not Dubas ?

-why would Dubas wait until the trade was finalized before asking for permission if he could make it , surely such a massive trade took time to negotiate and involved many people in Leafs mgmt so they should have been plenty of time for Dubas to ask Shanny if he approved and to get board approval ?

-why would it take a year plus for this massive story to be leaked ?
Pretty much said the same thing a moment ago here.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Pretty much said the same thing a moment ago here.

yeah it makes no sense but people will buy it especially Dubies fan club

i find it interesting that this story and the one from Mirtle last year never name the players involved even though they have all this inside imformation

Reactions: ACC1224

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No, this issue is , they are all forwards, no defenseman or a goalie in those 4.
It is about the allocation, it’s not distributed right.
There is a belief among quite a few people that the goalie position can just be forgone entirely because of how much luck is involved with it.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021

Shanny should be canned also at this point.

But nixing trades that involved a bunch of picks and our one good forward prospect for Hagel and Fluery along with not letting him get Karlsson are both good moves.

Honestly we ended out ahead on the Hagel deal because we used some of those assets for Dubas's best trade in McCabe.

People talk about how he was going to move on from Marner before he got canned but just from circumstancial evidence including what he did when he got to Pittsburgh. That deal might have just been Marner for Karlsson which is incredibly stupid both in the short and long term.

I don't think I would have trusted him to make the Marner trade even if he didn't seem to have an EK addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad