TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - PART XII

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
un-tradable contract explained:

We are in a unique era.. COVID, altered the NHL landscape like nothing before it.

1) it panicked players and many opted for a few dollars less, in exchange for longer contracts
2) their agents were smart enough to understand escrow and players paying for COVID.

many players who signed 4,5...8 years deals, pushed money back. This was to
a) escape the high escrow of 2020 to 2024
b) to allow owner to be able to pay these contracts in the future when the economy improves and their revenue goes up

and so, many teams have the Sens have 6

and so with most teams being at the CAP.. Many are actually paying above the cap.

It is why trades will be hard.

In the past, long contracts, money being pushed back was not an issue. many teams were not CAP and their true salary and AAV tended to be the same, if not slanted to a lower true salary than AAV.

It allowed for movement of "un-tradable" contracts.

Today is different. And will be different as we move forward. Teams have learned.

Recent long/big money contracts, such as Sanderson and Zub are: AAV = true salary.

there is 4-6 years to flush

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
un-tradable contract explained:

We are in a unique era.. COVID, altered the NHL landscape like nothing before it.

1) it panicked players and many opted for a few dollars less, in exchange for longer contracts
2) their agents were smart enough to understand escrow and players paying for COVID.

many players who signed 4,5...8 years deals, pushed money back. This was to
a) escape the high escrow of 2020 to 2024
b) to allow owner to be able to pay these contracts in the future when the economy improves and their revenue goes up

and so, many teams have the Sens have 6

and so with most teams being at the CAP.. Many are actually paying above the cap.

It is why trades will be hard.

In the past, long contracts, money being pushed back was not an issue. many teams were not CAP and their true salary and AAV tended to be the same, if not slanted to a lower true salary than AAV.

It allowed for movement of "un-tradable" contracts.

Today is different. And will be different as we move forward. Teams have learned.

Recent long/big money contracts, such as Sanderson and Zub are: AAV = true salary.

there is 4-6 years to flush
Is there a connection to Ottawa radio in there?

Reactions: Masked

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Is there a connection to Ottawa radio in there?
Everything…

Media is our education arm. It has the responsibility to educate us, to protect us and to hold all of us accountable. Sports media in this city is fluff. It is skin deep. It fails to do its job.. To protect us, to question, to hold people accountable.

AJ finally discussed Chabot’s contract yesterday. He brought up the 38 million owing, versus the 32 AAV.. Never discussed before.. We discussed it here. JR has been banging the drum of “everyone is tradable””.. No analysis, no discussion.

Tragically, it is often us who educate them. Subjects are discussed, often only after we begin, or some X posts, or Instagram.. Generally, sports media in this city is reactionary and not proactive.

Have you not seen, that all stories break from outside of Ottawa? Even though they are related to Ottawa teams? Have you listened to TSN radio, TSN TV with Ottawa reporters, read print media, listened to non-sports media.. Do you see depth? Do you see hard-core reporting/analysis?

Fluff… where has media been the last 20 years? To keep an eye on Melnyk and those clowns, on OSEG and those clowns. Where was media to warn of CAP issues when we traded for Chyc? Did ANYONE GET ON Cap friendly? Did anyone question any of the moves that Dorion was making the last 8 years?

To date, other than CJ Stevenson, which Ottawa media has provided deep analysis? Which has experience in X and Os?

I think the world of Ian Mendes. Moral man.. started out as a mascot.. then got a job with the Sens.. The next thing we know he is a Senior Hockey writer with the Athletic. Do you read his stuff.. Romper room. Maybe Ian, or anyone at TSN or post media or CTV or any media personality can explain the left wing lock… or perhaps why F1 cars were “Porpoise-ing”.

Can anyone in Ottawa media name the bulk of the PWHL team? The bulk of the RedBlacks? The BlackJacks? Has anyone in media explained, discussed why it is difficult for a left handed D man to play the right side? Does anyone know?

Did anyone in Ottawa media know why, Ottawa Senators players under Guy Boucher stood at the left of the opposition goalie? And what the reasoning was? Did they understand that by doing so, it forced the left handed D man (the majority of quality puck movers) to move to his right, this expose the puck to the middle of the ice and forcing a backhand pass to the looping center.

Does Ottawa sports media work? Do they do their job?

They are so fluff that @Loach would fit right in.

It is incredible, how were are treated like mushrooms in this city and are okay with it. Then we wonder why all our pro teams suck and have been a disaster for a long time.

If no one fights city hall, what keeps them on the straight and narrow?

I thought that it was tragic that Print media was dying. Now I see it as possibly a good thing
I thought that is was tragic that TSN1200 may go off the air in 2026.. Now I wonder if it is a good thing
I thought that it was tragic that TSN and Sportsnet TV have little presence her… o I see it as a good thing
I thought that it was tragic that the Sens/Reblacks/Blackjacks are covered but Toronto based media guys, who are flown in to do the games.. Now I see it as a good thing.

But I guess we are better off than Tampa aby, where a dimwit asked Todd Bowles about handling the cold in Detroit. He had to explain that they have a domed stadium.

try and remember the Artiste and what he said about Ottawa media as he was leaving:

My opinion of Ottawa journalists is that they don't watch hockey at all. When they fly with the team and go through the (metal detector) at an airport, their bags are filled with beer. You realize right away what these people do when they write about the NHL,” Kovalev told the Russian newspaper.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Everything…

Media is our education arm. It has the responsibility to educate us, to protect us and to hold all of us accountable. Sports media in this city is fluff. It is skin deep. It fails to do its job.. To protect us, to question, to hold people accountable.

AJ finally discussed Chabot’s contract yesterday. He brought up the 38 million owing, versus the 32 AAV.. Never discussed before.. We discussed it here. JR has been banging the drum of “everyone is tradable””.. No analysis, no discussion.

Tragically, it is often us who educate them. Subjects are discussed, often only after we begin, or some X posts, or Instagram.. Generally, sports media in this city is reactionary and not proactive.

Have you not seen, that all stories break from outside of Ottawa? Even though they are related to Ottawa teams? Have you listened to TSN radio, TSN TV with Ottawa reporters, read print media, listened to non-sports media.. Do you see depth? Do you see hard-core reporting/analysis?

Fluff… where has media been the last 20 years? To keep an eye on Melnyk and those clowns, on OSEG and those clowns. Where was media to warn of CAP issues when we traded for Chyc? Did ANYONE GET ON Cap friendly? Did anyone question any of the moves that Dorion was making the last 8 years?

To date, other than CJ Stevenson, which Ottawa media has provided deep analysis? Which has experience in X and Os?

I think the world of Ian Mendes. Moral man.. started out as a mascot.. then got a job with the Sens.. The next thing we know he is a Senior Hockey writer with the Athletic. Do you read his stuff.. Romper room. Maybe Ian, or anyone at TSN or post media or CTV or any media personality can explain the left wing lock… or perhaps why F1 cars were “Porpoise-ing”.

Can anyone in Ottawa media name the bulk of the PWHL team? The bulk of the RedBlacks? The BlackJacks? Has anyone in media explained, discussed why it is difficult for a left handed D man to play the right side? Does anyone know?

Did anyone in Ottawa media know why, Ottawa Senators players under Guy Boucher stood at the left of the opposition goalie? And what the reasoning was? Did they understand that by doing so, it forced the left handed D man (the majority of quality puck movers) to move to his right, this expose the puck to the middle of the ice and forcing a backhand pass to the looping center.

It is incredible, how were are treated like mushrooms in this city and are okay with it. Then we wonder why all our pro teams suck and have been a disaster for a long time.

I thought that it was tragic that Print media was dying. Now I see it as possibly a good thing
I thought that is was tragic that TSN1200 may go off the air in 2026.. Now I wonder if it is a good thing
I thought that it was tragic that TSN and Sportsnet TV have little presence her… o I see it as a good thing
I thought that it was tragic that the Sens/Reblacks/Blackjacks are covered but Toronto based media guys, who are flown in to do the games.. Now I see it as a good thing.

But I guess we are better off than Tampa aby, where a dimwit asked Todd Bowles about handling the cold in Detroit. He had to explain that they have a domed stadium.

try and remember the Artiste and what he said about Ottawa media as he was leaving:

My opinion of Ottawa journalists is that they don't watch hockey at all. When they fly with the team and go through the (metal detector) at an airport, their bags are filled with beer. You realize right away what these people do when they write about the NHL,” Kovalev told the Russian newspaper.
Park time is over. Back in your crate.

Reactions: Masked

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Everything…

No Covid and contracts has nothing to do with Ottawa radio, there are threads for that.
FYI, Ottawa media does not fly with the team, just Dean and Gord.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Everything…

1705696327866.gif

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Jon Abbot is good. Throwing some love to him. Still think he’s got the voice for baseball but I like his vibe and his call.

Reactions: Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Excellent interview with S Staios today. Nice job by AJ. That’s gotta go a long way making the GM comfortable speaking with the tsn1200 hosts. Respectful and intelligent questions all the way through.
A+ for AJ

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Excellent interview with S Staios today. Nice job by AJ. That’s gotta go a long way making the GM comfortable speaking with the tsn1200 hosts. Respectful and intelligent questions all the way through.
A+ for AJ
You talk about the presser or he make another one today

R2010

May 23, 2011
I know TSN 1200 is trying but losing Poulin leaves a big hole. Poulin+Johnson vs Johnson, Pounder, Corrado, Dreger isn't the same. Do like Pounder though

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I hate the current sad state of TSN1200. Whenever I'm driving and turn it on, it's someone from Toronto, or it's stupid NFL stuff. So I just turn the radio off altogether.

Even just "syndicating" the various Sens podcasters (Wally, LoS, etc.) and playing them on the air over and over all day would be an improvement.

Semi-listenable until 10am, then I just turn it off. Can't stand the ESPN dufous who comes on at 10.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Dan Patrick (Pugh) started his show about the Hapless Jets.. Dianna Roussini had a real nasty expose on them.. Very dysfunctional.

Bad drafting, leaks and attempts at finding leaks, internal strife. A coach who is excuses laden and preoccupied by saving his job.

Players not getting along.

Unreal.. They could have been talking about the Sens in the Dorion years.

There must be a script for dysfunctional teams.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Semi-listenable until 10am, then I just turn it off. Can't stand the ESPN dufous who comes on at 10.
FOX doofus.

Dan Patrick (Family name Pugh).. Once at ESPN, now has his own syndicated show. Name drops like crazy. He is friends with Adam Sandler and has star envy. 65 year old man trying to be a hip 20 something.

Collin Cowherd.. Gas bag.. jumps from one broadcaster to another.. Was raised in poverty and is wealth and power abscessed. Strikes me as having been the school nerd, who is now trying very hard to be cool and relevant.

Mathew Cauz.. Toronto gas bag.. sponsored by gaming companies and is annoying as hell. Lucky for us, he is a Canadian doofus. Every once in a while he is replaced by AL's brother (Mike Distefano)

We nee dour own back.. Better to have own annoying us for those middle 6 hours, than strangers.

Reactions: SanderSen
Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
FOX doofus.

Dan Patrick (Family name Pugh).. Once at ESPN, now has his own syndicated show. Name drops like crazy. He is friends with Adam Sandler and has star envy. 65 year old man trying to be a hip 20 something.

Collin Cowherd.. Gas bag.. jumps from one broadcaster to another.. Was raised in poverty and is wealth and power abscessed. Strikes me as having been the school nerd, who is now trying very hard to be cool and relevant.

Mathew Cauz.. Toronto gas bag.. sponsored by gaming companies and is annoying as hell. Lucky for us, he is a Canadian doofus. Every once in a while he is replaced by AL's brother (Mike Distefano)

We nee dour own back.. Better to have own annoying us for those middle 6 hours, than strangers.

Fox doofus, I stand corrected :D The podcasts out there have surpassed the radio content so badly it is not even close.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Everything…

my only question is how does this post relate to the Toronto Maple Leaves.

Reactions: SanderSen

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
I used to very much enjoy the morning segment but no longer bother.
AJ is the only reason I still have 1200 as a preset.

Reactions: Icelevel

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Morning show is "fine" but I only tune in for my commute which is between 8 and 9.

Afternoon show is still good, AJ is the GOAT of the station now.

I hate the American stuff less than most, I actually love getting non CFL football talk on 1200.

The "Toronto" show after Cowherd is horrendous, legitimately might be the worst thing I've ever heard on the station. I'd rather they piped in anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad