TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - PART XII

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
Dan Patrick and Cowherd are bad. Patrick is dull as a door knob and Cowherd's normal voice is a whine. I guess they are tolerable if you want NFL conversation. I can stomach them in my car if there's literally nothing else to listen to. The Toronto show is unbearable and I'll listen to dead air before I turn that crap on.

Hard to believe paying for all of those is cheaper than letting Lee Versage talk for 6 hours, but I'm sure someone did the math.

As others said, you'd think they could pick up a podcast for pennies on the dollar, but I guess that's too much effort for Bell.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I hate the current sad state of TSN1200. Whenever I'm driving and turn it on, it's someone from Toronto, or it's stupid NFL stuff. So I just turn the radio off altogether.

Even just "syndicating" the various Sens podcasters (Wally, LoS, etc.) and playing them on the air over and over all day would be an improvement.

well TSN 1200 only broadcasts locally( weekdays ) from 6:00 to 10:00… and then they feed this market with (FOX sports?) the Dan Patrick show, and other US sourced commentators until the Drive (local) begins at ….I want to say 15:00 until 18:00, unless there is a Sens games and then they continue right through To the game.

But, while in the car, and I want to listen to Canadian Sports after 10:00… you can tune into TSN 690 from Montreal as they broadcast local (Montreal) content through the day.

personally I don’t mind the NFL coverage, but would prefer more local hockey coverage during the day… but suspect the rating are not there, and the bottom dollar rules in radio these days.

You could also download to a phone or thumb drive, or stream, podcasts to listen to in the car.

Spex

Feb 2, 2009
Can't believe this topic is still going, been away for a while.

Anyway, looks like another big round of cuts are coming at Bell, 4800 in total across the whole company. And they are selling 45 stations.

The article doesn't show any Ottawa stations being sold so I guess TSN1200 is safe as a whole. But with over 4000 jobs being cuts, I wonder if any of the personalities will be let go. Guess we'll see

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
First thing Bell should do is either upgrade the iHeart radio app significantly, or dump it and start over. Not sure about how you all see it, but to me that app is a complete disaster. Hard to log onto, keeps disconnecting, no programming details - it's just a complete fail. They could probably extend TSN 1200's reach significantly by getting into 2024 and out of 2007 when it comes to online streaming of the channel...

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
First thing Bell should do is either upgrade the iHeart radio app significantly, or dump it and start over. Not sure about how you all see it, but to me that app is a complete disaster. Hard to log onto, keeps disconnecting, no programming details - it's just a complete fail. They could probably extend TSN 1200's reach significantly by getting into 2024 and out of 2007 when it comes to online streaming of the channel...
Strange, I have no issues with iHeart, the only thing I use it for is TSN. Integrates with Apple CarPlay as well.

I used to use it for when I wanted to listen but was out of range, but I’ve switched to using as my go-to, the sound quality is so much better than that tinny AM sound with no low end

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I just use the podcast version or website, work fine.

Also on CTV news, just keeping Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa I think they said for 6pm news.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Bell cutting nearly half of their radio stations... holy smokes. It's only a matter of time until the station is gone. As many have pointed out, the broadcast rights are the only thing keeping it alive but once the contract is up I'd be surprised if they renew.

Sad stuff, but the quality has fallen off a cliff in the last few years so putting 1200 out of it's misery wouldn't be the end of the world. When you lose your biggest names and half of your airtime is commercials, you just can't compete with podcasts.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bell cutting nearly half of their radio stations... holy smokes. It's only a matter of time until the station is gone. As many have pointed out, the broadcast rights are the only thing keeping it alive but once the contract is up I'd be surprised if they renew.

Sad stuff, but the quality has fallen off a cliff in the last few years so putting 1200 out of it's misery wouldn't be the end of the world. When you lose your biggest names and half of your airtime is commercials, you just can't compete with podcasts.
One possible way the station survives is if Rogers (or some other entity I suppose) gets the next set of regional tv rights and they make having a station part of the deal,

Sens might not be able to get as good of a deal (or maybe if they finally start winning the will... Two more seasons to get our shit together) but someone will eat up the regional rights once bell backs out.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Strange, I have no issues with iHeart, the only thing I use it for is TSN. Integrates with Apple CarPlay as well.

I used to use it for when I wanted to listen but was out of range, but I’ve switched to using as my go-to, the sound quality is so much better than that tinny AM sound with no low end
IHeart doesn't play nice with ad blockers, at least on the web app

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
One possible way the station survives is if Rogers (or some other entity I suppose) gets the next set of regional tv rights and they make having a station part of the deal,

Sens might not be able to get as good of a deal (or maybe if they finally start winning the will... Two more seasons to get our shit together) but someone will eat up the regional rights once bell backs out.
It's possible I guess, but highly doubt it. Rogers has also been gutting their sports radio properties over these last few years. Tim & Sid/Friends was discontinued, Ben Wagner (Jays radio PxP guy) wasn't offered a contract extension, Fan650 (Vancouver) and Fan 960 (Calgary) are a total mess and have seen an exodus in talent over the last couple years.

The Jays are their #1 priority and they don't even bother sending the radio crew on the road anymore. Zero chance they swoop in and save 1200 unfortunately. If not them I don't think another company exists that's even capable.

Reactions: SanderSen

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I use tune in. Iheart is crap agreed.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It's possible I guess, but highly doubt it. Rogers has also been gutting their sports radio properties over these last few years. Tim & Sid/Friends was discontinued, Ben Wagner (Jays radio PxP guy) wasn't offered a contract extension, Fan650 (Vancouver) and Fan 960 (Calgary) are a total mess and have seen an exodus in talent over the last couple years.

The Jays are their #1 priority and they don't even bother sending the radio crew on the road anymore. Zero chance they swoop in and save 1200 unfortunately. If not them I don't think another company exists that's even capable.
I wonder what the buyers of the radio stations that Bell Media just sold are planning to do with their acquisitions.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I guess it all comes down to how much does it cost to run the radio station, in the end, the sens decide whether packaging the rights is in the best interest of the team. Does the team need radio to engage existing fans and bring in more fans? If so, how much is that worth to them, because insisting tv and radio broadcast rights are a package deal might mean a smaller return.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa

For TSN1200 it is hard to see how they could cut it any further to the bone. All the personalities are gone, nobody on staff that has played pro or has a presence. Perhaps cut JR since he is a real radio professional. The station was always heavy with ads, but the morning is more loaded than ever, and segments like "Bets and Breakfast" is an advert. If Bell wants to save on TSN1200 selling it looks to be the option with any impact, if there is anyone to buy it.

Reactions: SquidNasty

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
TSN 1200…. Only 6 hours of local programming on none game day weekdays…. Not sure if there’s much on a none game day on the weekends.

Need to merge NewsTalk with the local sports, if that’s possible.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The Corson articles are sports media gone TMZ - is this in the public interest? Seems like the media found a salacious story about underage sex and because it was the son of a former player who owned a hockey stick they put it all over TSN etc. he’s an adult - an 18 year old having sex with a 15 year old which isn’t illegal, but because there was more then 1 person age 17 also there then it’s illegal. And it’s all over TSN - not sure what this does for us as fans. TSN pretending to care about this stuff when in reality it’s just a cheap headline That helps no one and puts a bunch of underage people and 18 Corson in the headlines to sell stories

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The Corson articles are sports media gone TMZ - is this in the public interest? Seems like the media found a salacious story about underage sex and because it was the son of a former player who owned a hockey stick they put it all over TSN etc. he’s an adult - an 18 year old having sex with a 15 year old which isn’t illegal, but because there was more then 1 person age 17 also there then it’s illegal. And it’s all over TSN - not sure what this does for us as fans. TSN pretending to care about this stuff when in reality it’s just a cheap headline That helps no one and puts a bunch of underage people and 18 Corson in the headlines to sell stories
lol weird take, so TSN shouldn’t report it, and then get asked why they wouldn’t.
So they shouldn’t have reported the WJC scandal as well, because you know grabs headlines.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
lol weird take, so TSN shouldn’t report it, and then get asked why they wouldn’t.
So they shouldn’t have reported the WJC scandal as well, because you know grabs headlines.

Do you think the two cases are comparable? Was there a attamepyed cover up. A massive legal payment. Police corruption. International hockey team? The only thing that’s the same is it’ll take 7-8 years to get to a legal conclusion.

How did this headline benefit you at all besides fulfilling a salacious side for a person you did t even know existed.

Did you know Corson had a son? Could you even name where Drummondville is? Is a sexual assault case that happened 7 years ago have anything to Do with the hockey website TSN besides he’s the son of a former hockey player who hasn’t played pro hockey in 15 years

what people asking for answers? TSN could just say this has nothing to do with sports because that’s the truth

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Do you think the two cases are comparable? Was there a attamepyed cover up. A massive legal payment. Police corruption. International hockey team? The only thing that’s the same is it’ll take 7-8 years to get to a legal conclusion.

How did this headline benefit you at all besides fulfilling a salacious side for a person you did t even know existed.

Did you know Corson had a son? Could you even name where Drummondville is? Is a sexual assault case that happened 7 years ago have anything to Do with the hockey website TSN besides he’s the son of a former hockey player who hasn’t played pro hockey in 15 years

what people asking for answers? TSN could just say this has nothing to do with sports because that’s the truth
Is that you Shane?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Is that you Shane?

Yes it’s me Shane Corson.

you read a sTory about a 15 year old being raped and you think that’s in your public interest? You think there’s a demand for stories like this and hockey fans would want to know? C’mon dude.

The courts are public places and that’s a good thing, but including 2 x 17 year olds and a 15 year old for clicks to me is an editor with no brains - the only link to sports a former NHLers son - it’s not on Sportsnet because they probably decided it was irrelevant to a sports audience which it is.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Yes it’s me Shane Corson.

you read a sTory about a 15 year old being raped and you think that’s in your public interest? You think there’s a demand for stories like this and hockey fans would want to know? C’mon dude.

The courts are public places and that’s a good thing, but including 2 x 17 year olds and a 15 year old for clicks to me is an editor with no brains - the only link to sports a former NHLers son - it’s not on Sportsnet because they probably decided it was irrelevant to a sports audience which it is.
Tuna,

Corson was playing for the Drummondville Volt.. Major Junior hockey. That is one level removed form teh pros.

Regardless of who his Father is, just being a Major junior player qualifies the story to being both a general societal interest and a sport specific one.

Yes, name recognition plays a factor. But in this case, it is secondary to the basic point of he being a sports figure in his own right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad