Podcast (Audio) The Reason Gallant was fired in Vegas

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Zherdev never felt like he'd be a Ranger for long. Just noticed that he led the Rangers in points (tied with Gomez) the one season he was here. Naslund was the other one-and-done player that season who just felt weird in a Rangers jersey.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Never seen somebody pull off more dangles than Zherdev. Like honestly he gave Datsyuk competition in that department.

Frustrating player but he was fun to watch when he was on. And he was on for a decent amount as a Ranger.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He played his last year in Lethbridge with Cozens. There were questions about whether he was a legitimate prospect or just a passenger to better players. Several people spoke highly of him though, so it seemed like a worthwhile gamble. He didn't work out. Not harm no foul.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The summary is that Vegas went full analytics, and Gallant didn't always play the guys management wanted him to play most of the time.

So, "Gallant kinda guys" will absolutely be a thing just like every other coach in the NHL has their preferred players. A computer isn't going to produce the lineup every game.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He is guessing to a certain degree as he wasn't in the room:
A few weeks prior to being fired, he was due for a new contract. He was called in to the office after a 4 game losing streak and he assumed it was for a contract extension but the feeling was that they didn't feel like Gallant was utilizing the analytic team they had on staff enough. Shipashov and Tatar kind of the straw that broke the camels back in that sense. The owner went out and paid big money to get those two guys who analytics said would help the team and Gallant didn't like how they fit. Specifically with Tatar when he was brought in and the team was a cohesive group, Gallant didn't feel he had earned the right to play over some of 'his' guys who went all out and played well for him even though the analytics may have said otherwise.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
So Gallant got fired 2 years after he allegedly didn't play two players? Uh huh lol
If Gallant is a coach who doesn't embrace analytics then he is my coach

Analytics in hockey are useless other than matching lines which every coach has done in the history of hockey
I regret to inform you that Gallant's teams have had outstanding analytics from his first year in Florida to his firing in Vegas

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Was it Florida or Vegas, where the analytics team was calling him mid period with line changes?

I believe it though.. Analytics nerds get extremely egotistical... they would be the types to call you mid period and insist they know more than you

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So Gallant got fired 2 years after he allegedly didn't play two players? Uh huh lol

I regret to inform you that Gallant's teams have had outstanding analytics from his first year in Florida to his firing in Vegas

Yeah and Shipachyov was dealing with a lot of personal drama at the time as well so I am not sure how much that affected him, and his performance in practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad