Confirmed with Link: Toews signed to 7 year deal (7.25AAV)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's a good contract, can't complain.
I take that back. I can and I will.

It doesn't look good right now, he regressed last year and he's regressing again this year. 7 more years can and probably will be very painful.

Reactions: Alienblood

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
This contract was always going to be ugly. Most figured by Year 3, but I am not surprised in the slightest that it is getting ugly in Year Zero. He played well in the SC season. But he was singularly responsible for at least 50 goals last season and he is damn close to averaging one goal caused / contributed to per game this season.

The question which should be asked is, "Can we get a decent 2C for Toews straight-up?" Better yet, could we try to turn this into a blockbuster, and move Toews, Ryjo, Ritchie and a 1st for a legit 2C with term and a cost-contained 4D?

Before the typical calls for my execution, remember that Landy has not been totally dismissed at this point, and his $7M could find its way back under the cap next year. Remember too that the regional sports networks are dropping like flies, which could have a negative impact on the cap in upcoming years. But let's face facts:

1) It is going to be hard to get value for Girard until he puts a solid year in, post-program.
2) Manson has an NMC.
3) Makar is absolutely not going anywhere.
4) The current bottom pair cannot get any cheaper - using Malinski and JMFJ for the time being, Behrens in the future.

The Avs are simply too top-heavy. Mac and Makar are worthwhile expenses. Mikko at $9 has potential to be worthwhile, if he could stay consistent. Mikko at $12M? Meh. Landy at $7M? Toews at $7.25M? That is the top 5 players eating $44.85M or 53.7% of the 2023 cap and 51.1% of the Bettmen forecasted cap for 2024. Then come new contracts for Mikko, Byram, Georgie ( or a replacement closer to $5M), LOC ( He is way outperforming his $1.05M AAV.) Kovalenko is likely to outplay his $985K salary and want more.

The absolute best-case scenario is that Landy returns for the playoffs, and 're-injures' himself with 2 minutes to go in a 6-1 blowout in Game 7 of the SCF. He can then sail into the LTIR sunset, negating that incredibly stupid contract. Even then one more bloated salary is going to have to be jettisoned. Is it Mikko? If given a choice between Mikko going, or Toews going, who do you choose?

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
This contract was always going to be ugly. Most figured by Year 3, but I am not surprised in the slightest that it is getting ugly in Year Zero. He played well in the SC season. But he was singularly responsible for at least 50 goals last season and he is damn close to averaging one goal caused / contributed to per game this season.

The question which should be asked is, "Can we get a decent 2C for Toews straight-up?" Better yet, could we try to turn this into a blockbuster, and move Toews, Ryjo, Ritchie and a 1st for a legit 2C with term and a cost-contained 4D?

Before the typical calls for my execution, remember that Landy has not been totally dismissed at this point, and his $7M could find its way back under the cap next year. Remember too that the regional sports networks are dropping like flies, which could have a negative impact on the cap in upcoming years. But let's face facts:

1) It is going to be hard to get value for Girard until he puts a solid year in, post-program.
2) Manson has an NMC.
4) The current bottom pair cannot get any cheaper - using Malinski and JMFJ for the time being, Behrens in the future.

The Avs are simply too top-heavy. Mac and Makar are worthwhile expenses. Mikko at $9 has potential to be worthwhile, if he could stay consistent. Mikko at $12M? Meh. Landy at $7M? Toews at $7.25M? That is the top 5 players eating $44.85M or 53.7% of the 2023 cap and 51.1% of the Bettmen forecasted cap for 2024. Then come new contracts for Mikko, Byram, Georgie ( or a replacement closer to $5M), LOC ( He is way outperforming his $1.05M AAV.) Kovalenko is likely to outplay his $985K salary and want more.

The absolute best-case scenario is that Landy returns for the playoffs, and 're-injures' himself with 2 minutes to go in a 6-1 blowout in Game 7 of the SCF. He can then sail into the LTIR sunset, negating that incredibly stupid contract. Even then one more bloated salary is going to have to be jettisoned. Is it Mikko? If given a choice between Mikko going, or Toews going, who do you choose?
There is absolutely no way the Avs trade Toews before his contract even kicks in when he could have got more on the market. That would be a low blow. That is just not their MO and in their character to do something like that.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
There is absolutely no way the Avs trade Toews before his contract even kicks in when he could have got more on the market. That would be a low blow. That is just not their MO and in their character to do something like that.

Which is precisely why many in this forum considered moving him prior to a new contract. I have no animus toward Toews. That said, the salary cap is the salary cap. Defensemen eat 34.7% of the cap the minute Toews new contract kicks in. That is not sustainable.

Then again, Mack( $12.6), Mikko ( $12) and Nuke ( $6.25) at$31M AVV in 2025 Isn't sustainable for a single line, either.

The solution is not to allow Lehky, LOC, Drouin, etc. go in favor of a dozen PTO-level contracts. One huge chunk - on top of Landy - is going to have to go. Hell, that is how we got Toews in the first place for a pair of 2nds.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Which is precisely why many in this forum considered moving him prior to a new contract. I have no animus toward Toews. That said, the salary cap is the salary cap. Defensemen eat 34.7% of the cap the minute Toews new contract kicks in. That is not sustainable.

Then again, Mack( $12.6), Mikko ( $12) and Nuke ( $6.25) at$31M AVV in 2025 Isn't sustainable for a single line, either.

The solution is not to allow Lehky, LOC, Drouin, etc. go in favor of a dozen PTO-level contracts. One huge chunk - on top of Landy - is going to have to go. Hell, that is how we got Toews in the first place for a pair of 2nds.
I don't disagree with this. I was just addressing your comment about trading Toews this summer prior to his contract kicking in. That is not going to happen considering who are in charge.

Alright… who is executing @cinchronicity
Not understanding that comment.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't disagree with this. I was just addressing your comment about trading Toews this summer prior to his contract kicking in. That is not going to happen considering who are in charge.

Not understanding that comment.
Ctrl + F

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

2) Manson has an NMC.

Great post but the time to trade Toews was summer '23 if they were going to do it. Clearly they never had any intentions of moving on from him which, while that wasn't what I would have done, I get it - they want to win now and go out sooner with the core they have. Fair enough.

But where they f***ed themsevles - if you were going to anchor yourself to an aging core, they should have just given Kadri the money he wanted and did it properly. He fits the window, and the years of pain to follow, perfectly with the other guys.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's incredible. IMO, the extension is even more important now with Byram's regression/plateau.

Yeah can you imagine the leverage he'd have on the Avs at this point?

Girard in rehab, Byram playing like he should be in rehab.

Dude could have asked for $10M and the Avs probably would have had to give it to him given what the other two yahoo's are doing.

Reactions: VikingAv

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Alright… who is executing @cinchronicity
LOL. :laugh:

IMO, Toews has been pretty darn good, particularly lately.

I'll offer up an opinion that might not be terribly popular, but Toews' defensive partner (yes - him) has been quite mediocre defensively for large parts of this season. Toews has often been the better player of the two in his own zone.

Last edited:

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
LOL. :laugh:

IMO, Toews has been pretty darn good, particularly lately.

I'll offer up an opinion that might not be terribly popular, but Toews' defensive partner (yes - him) has been quite mediocre defensively for large parts of this season. Toews has often been the better player of the two in his own zone.
Well Makar isn't and has never been great in some aspects defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad