Confirmed with Link: Travis Green named new head coach

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Interesting to watch human nature at work I guess. We are almost into conspiracy theory territory now. It's a nefarious cabal consisting of misguided, misinformed, inept individuals that includes the owner, GM & coach that will ultimately fail miserably & quickly. I get the years of pent up fan frustration and I have exaggerated a bit for effect here. It's just that we haven’t much of history with this group, so we might have to wait a bit before we get to the extreme reactions stage.

It's not just defensemen. It's team D in general that needs to improve along with goaltending of course.
No it's not just defencemen, but the defence has too much of the same thing & need a big, tough, mean defenceman that players fear. We have too many soft D & I expect two of them to be on their way out. We also need to upgrade in net, they have been too inconsistent for a few yrs now & we need stability in net. I agree in general we need to be much better defensively as a team which includes the forwards that can reduce the goals against.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No it's not just defencemen, but the defence has too much of the same thing & need a big, tough, mean defenceman that players fear. We have too many soft D & I expect two of them to be on their way out. We also need to upgrade in net, they have been too inconsistent for a few yrs now & we need stability in net. I agree in general we need to be much better defensively as a team which includes the forwards that can reduce the goals against.
We have Skating schools; Skill Schools, Body Checking and contact schools... We need a SNARL school.

Oh big tough fear inspiring ... MUST be able to defend

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We have Skating schools; Skill Schools, Body Checking and contact schools... We need a SNARL school.

Oh big tough fear inspiring ... MUST be able to defend
he has 120 minutes of penalties along with 30 goals & 71 pts, he is big, tough & seems to have a mean streak. check check.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He checks some ... I want a D that already knows how to defend. Not one I hope will learn.
Well Parekh is the other RD that could be near where Ott is picking & he is no better defensively from what I have read & from what York said. He's not terrible at defending, the Calgary Hitmen had no offence on their team & depended on him for offence which he produced. Sanderson & Chabot are going to lead the offence for this team for the next few yrs & Sanderson for longer which will give Yakemchuk plenty of time to learn & improve the defensive side of the game & step up when needed. Every kid in this draft will need to work on something & improve, very very few come into the NHL fully ready to play.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well Parekh is the other RD that could be near where Ott is picking & he is no better defensively from what I have read & from what York said. He's not terrible at defending, the Calgary Hitmen had no offence on their team & depended on him for offence which he produced. Sanderson & Chabot are going to lead the offence for this team for the next few yrs & Sanderson for longer which will give Yakemchuk plenty of time to learn & improve the defensive side of the game & step up when needed. Every kid in this draft will need to work on something & improve, very very few come into the NHL fully ready to play.
Ok. Never said I'd pick him either

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I wanted more experience . . . but Green is saying all the right things. Words are just words and the proof will be in the pudding, but given what he's said and what others have said about him paints him to be the kind of coach I think this team needs.

I'm still not happy about it being Green. BUt he's the coach now and I'm rooting for him.

Hopefully Staios isn't afraid to change things up again quickly if the team is 5 games under 500 come december tho.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Do you think they will take a left shot D? I don't & unless they are in love with a particular forward IMO it comes down to one of those two RD.
I think the should not worry about the hand they shoot. They should rank them and pick them how they rank them ... Particularly at the top of the draft.,
There are some very good defense first RD with good size that will be available towards the bottom 3rd of the 1st and early in the 2nd. No need to reach for the handedness.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wanted more experience . . . but Green is saying all the right things. Words are just words and the proof will be in the pudding, but given what he's said and what others have said about him paints him to be the kind of coach I think this team needs.

I'm still not happy about it being Green. BUt he's the coach now and I'm rooting for him.

Hopefully Staios isn't afraid to change things up again quickly if the team is 5 games under 500 come december tho.
It's worth noting Green has a similar amount of experience (~340 games as NHL HC) as Evanson (~260) and Berube (~450) who were viewed by many as the best options, not to mention Roy (~246) who some wanted prior to NYI signing him. Gallant and Julien would have been the more experienced options, both are solid coaches.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

We should get on board imo... I'm sure no one on this board had Green as their guy. But based on the feedback from the couple players and those that were closer to the situation in Vancouver.. I think we are not wrong to support the hire at this point.

I am not sure about a change in December based solely on the record though... We have to see progression. If the same goalies let in the 1st or 2nd shot at the same rate (1 out of every 4 games) .. I think it is more on Staios

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think the should not worry about the hand they shoot. They should rank them and pick them how they rank them ... Particularly at the top of the draft.,
There are some very good defense first RD with good size that will be available towards the bottom 3rd of the 1st and early in the 2nd. No need to reach for the handedness.
The other factor is that whoever the Senators pick this draft, that player will likely be at least 2 years away from contributing at an NHL level; we need a big RD now next season.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We should get on board imo... I'm sure no one on this board had Green as their guy. But based on the feedback from the couple players and those that were closer to the situation in Vancouver.. I think we are not wrong to support the hire at this point.

I am not sure about a change in December based solely on the record though... We have to see progression. If the same goalies let in the 1st or 2nd shot at the same rate (1 out of every 4 games) .. I think it is more on Staios
I agree. Vancouver fans weren't very warm to Tocchet, but the situations seem reasonably comparable as a baseline and they not only came out like gangbusters this year, but clearly play the right way and imo are punching above their weight atm. I'm optimistic about Green.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Given that this isn't Staois scouting team & still part of the old regime it will be interesting what happens at the draft & whether they are picking a player the scouts want or Staois wants & what the ramifications will be or who gets thrown under the bus. :laugh: It will also be interesting after the draft too & who is still here & who is not in the scouting department, I expect some changes.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

1715638454549.png

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It's worth noting Green has a similar amount of experience (~340 games as NHL HC) as Evanson (~260) and Berube (~450) who were viewed by many as the best options, not to mention Roy (~246) who some wanted prior to NYI signing him. Gallant and Julien would have been the more experienced options, both are solid coaches.
All of those guys have at least elevated the teams they’ve coached or had some sustained success for a period of time.

The annoying thing is, even if Green is just percieved as “DJ Smith 2.0”, we’ll never get our answer for how this core would do under a succesful coach if we end up still sucking. I don’t really count half a year of Jacques Martin as a good measure.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
All of those guys have at least elevated the teams they’ve coached or had some sustained success for a period of time.

The annoying thing is, even if Green is just percieved as “DJ Smith 2.0”, we’ll never get our answer for how this core would do under a succesful coach if we end up still sucking. I don’t really count half a year of Jacques Martin as a good measure.

"Railin' Gil" lol

sfulefty

May 3, 2009

Unbiased view from a Vancouver-ite. I thought Travis Green was good in Vancouver. Not perfect, but still pretty good. After Alain Vigneault was fired, he gave some consistency after John Tortorella and Willie Desjardins. He came in during such strange management circumstances - trying to navigate the retirement of the Sedins, along with (what appeared to be a disfunctional Management) with Trevor Linden wanting to build thru the draft, and Benning wanting to sign free agents to be competitive now. Yes, they had just drafted some of their current core, but keep in mind he got them into the playoffs with a 2019-20 lineup that consisted of: Adam Gaudette, Josh Leivo, Antoine Roussel, Loui Erickson, Tyler Motte, Jay Beagle, Jordie Benn, Zack MacEwan, Oscar Fantenberg, Tim Schaller, Travis Boyd, Marc Michaelis On some nights, their 3rd and 4th line sounded more like a lawfirm: "Michaelis, Boyd & Gadjovich" None of it his fault, as you could see the disconnect in the vision amongst Management. He was good in the media - called it like he saw it, and seemed to hold players accountable. I can't comment as much on systems, and we all knew that lottery picks (Hughes & Pettersson) just needed time. But keep in mind some of the hights that other rosters players had under his watch, showing that he could get something out of other roster players: Jake Virtanen did have 18 goals under his watch. Adam Gaudette actually had 33 points one season playing for Green. Derrick Pouliot had 22 points in Vancouver, despite no more than 7 points with any other franchise. Derek Dorsett (25 ponts), and Markus Granlund (32 points) established career highs under Green. Nikolay Goldobin had 27 points in 63 games in 2018-19 under Green. So many thought he got alot out of the roster, and did some good things in VanCity. Their roster was crap - Alex Biega, Alexander Burmistrov, Reid Boucher, Brendan Leipsic, Jay Beagle, Oscar Fantenberg, you get the idea. But he still managed to provide some hope, when it did not appear that there was much there. My two cents from the West Coast.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Did you see the roster he had in 2019-20 and earlier?

How much sustained success can you really have with guys like goldobin, lievo and granlund?

when you look at the roster he had, he got more than you'd expect out of it the first three years, his last two years things fell apart for a myriad of reasons, but expectations for his tenure as a whole need to account for the roster,

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Unbiased view from a Vancouver-ite. I thought Travis Green was good in Vancouver. Not perfect, but still pretty good. After Alain Vigneault was fired, he gave some consistency after John Tortorella and Willie Desjardins. He came in during such strange management circumstances - trying to navigate the retirement of the Sedins, along with (what appeared to be a disfunctional Management) with Trevor Linden wanting to build thru the draft, and Benning wanting to sign free agents to be competitive now. Yes, they had just drafted some of their current core, but keep in mind he got them into the playoffs with a 2019-20 lineup that consisted of: Adam Gaudette, Josh Leivo, Antoine Roussel, Loui Erickson, Tyler Motte, Jay Beagle, Jordie Benn, Zack MacEwan, Oscar Fantenberg, Tim Schaller, Travis Boyd, Marc Michaelis On some nights, their 3rd and 4th line sounded more like a lawfirm: "Michaelis, Boyd & Gadjovich" None of it his fault, as you could see the disconnect in the vision amongst Management. He was good in the media - called it like he saw it, and seemed to hold players accountable. I can't comment as much on systems, and we all knew that lottery picks (Hughes & Pettersson) just needed time. But keep in mind some of the hights that other rosters players had under his watch, showing that he could get something out of other roster players: Jake Virtanen did have 18 goals under his watch. Adam Gaudette actually had 33 points one season playing for Green. Derrick Pouliot had 22 points in Vancouver, despite no more than 7 points with any other franchise. Derek Dorsett (25 ponts), and Markus Granlund (32 points) established career highs under Green. Nikolay Goldobin had 27 points in 63 games in 2018-19 under Green. So many thought he got alot out of the roster, and did some good things in VanCity. Their roster was crap - Alex Biega, Alexander Burmistrov, Reid Boucher, Brendan Leipsic, Jay Beagle, Oscar Fantenberg, you get the idea. But he still managed to provide some hope, when it did not appear that there was much there. My two cents from the West Coast.
Thanks for the info .. Sheds some light

Reactions: Dionysus

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I have no issues taking an LD.

I disagree, we don’t have any balance in our lineup and we are desperate for RD - if we dont draft RD then they don’t arrive. We have the talent to be a playoff team, we don’t have the balance.

we have way too many people who do the same thing - we have 3 x #1 PP quarterbacks and only 1 RD that can PK.

To me we have to draft a RD LW, or RW with the #7 overall pick - C or LD is redundant with the #7 pick

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I disagree, we don’t have any balance in our lineup and we are desperate for RD - if we dont draft RD then they don’t arrive. We have the talent to be a playoff team, we don’t have the balance.

we have way too many people who do the same thing - we have 3 x #1 PP quarterbacks and only 1 RD that can PK.

To me we have to draft a RD LW, or RW with the #7 overall pick - C or LD is redundant with the #7 pick
As I said in another thread

We will have Zub and whoever we sign this offseason on RD, just take the best player available and in 2026/27 see if they can make the team in the bottom pairing.

When whoever we draft is ready to play there is no way of knowing what the roster or pipeline will look like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad