Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
They gave an assist to Z on the late Henrique goal. 2 point night, has 12 points in 12 games now. He seems to be playing better defensively, is one of the few players who is even or + . Still makes these poor decision passes, needs to be more aware with that, but he is winning more face offs and checking more.

Good/great playmakers dont always just make the safe or easy passes, sometimes they are going to make a pass that looks dumb but usually only look that way due to the puck not going where they wanted or simply not seeing a defender. If the dumb pass hops the stick, all of a sudden its a highlight reel pass. Thats one thing I think people harped on way too much with Getzlaf too.

"You miss 100% of the shots you dont take"
"You miss 100% of the passes you dont try"

See below
| |
| |
| |
\ /
V
The pass across to Comer was superb. Getzlafian

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like you could almost see the moment a few games back where he decided to start taking this season seriously. Maybe the game before the meeting? But since then he's been physical and engaged and still making some poor decisions, but they aren't lazy decisions. Plus he's been kind of funneling his anger in a good way (mostly). Last night for example he dragged Gadjovich off of Benoit because no one else was going to do it obviously (thanks, PV!).

Anyway he's really coming around, he's noticeable on most of his shifts now.
i actually wonder how much of missing preseason, slowed him down.

He def uses a lot of timing in his game, and first couple weeks of the season he def seemed a bit off in that aspect

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Good/great playmakers dont always just make the safe or easy passes, sometimes they are going to make a pass that looks dumb but usually only look that way due to the puck not going where they wanted or simply not seeing a defender. If the dumb pass hops the stick, all of a sudden its a highlight reel pass. Thats one thing I think people harped on way too much with Getzlaf too.

"You miss 100% of the shots you dont take"
"You miss 100% of the passes you dont try"

See below
| |
| |
| |
\ /
V
I would be pissed if a coach tried to correct those bad passes and coached the creativity and vision right out of him. We need him to be an elite playmaker even if that takes some time with a lot of bad passes along the way.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I would be pissed if a coach tried to correct those bad passes and coached the creativity and vision right out of him. We need him to be an elite playmaker even if that takes some time with a lot of bad passes along the way.

A player can still be responsible to limit egregious mistakes and still be creative. Doing blind passes on the defensive zone, neutral zone, or at the top of the blue line should not be done. Be creative without putting your team in danger.

The best example of this from me comes from football with QB's. Winston and Brady played under the same offensive scheme. Winston threw a lot of TD's, gained a whole lot of yards, but also threw 30 INT's. Brady was able to limit INTs and win a Super bowl. What's the difference? Brady took what the defense gave him to be creative. Winston never understood that and took chances he never should have. Just be responsible with the creativity.

Here's EAkins from OCR:

“We don’t want to be the Harlem Globetrotters of hockey,” Eakins said. “That’s a guy behind the net. We would encourage a pass to the slot. He just did it a different way. We’re never going to tell our players to not do that. It was a responsible play. We had guys in position for them to pull it off.
“We’re good with it.”
Plus, there’s an equally important aspect of Zegras’ adventurous style of play.
“We’re here to win,” Eakins said. “This is a sport. This is competitive. It’s also entertainment. People work hard to come to these games and spend their money and come sit in these seats. There has to be an entertainment value, too. As long as we’re responsible, there’s no danger there.”

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
There are risky passes that great players attempt because they can sometimes make them. Then, there are the dumb passes that Zegras blindly makes directly to the other team, that have literally a 0% chance of ever going to a Duck. Those absolutely need to be coached out of him.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Found Zegras interview here... No idea who made this video but it popped up on my recommended if anyone missed it.

Reactions: Omark and Yemeth

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
with a lot of guys, you feel like they have to beat the goalie. with Z it might be the opposite.

How long until we see this?

da2675_51d2ed7282054b5c8bd8790e3d710f8d~mv2.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Rogers

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ironically his offense has been rough lately but he's been (IMO) one of our better forwards in the defensive zone.

Maybe he is taking it to heart.

I thought he was very good against San Jose but the last two were meh. The team has been struggling so much the past week, it’s hard to point out much good.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Frankly I want DE to split Terry and Z. Id prefer Rico-Strome-Terry as the top line. Let them handle the tougher minutes. The problem is that it doesn't really leave any decent wingers for Zegras which is why Rico keeps getting glued to his wing and I just dont think they have any chemistry. I'd really like to see MC with Z, maybe put Carrick there to do the "hard work." I feel like he has shown that he is able to play well with talented players in the past.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
I hope Z is listening.
He needs to listen, I called it before the season.. All the damn media hype got to his head.. He is lucky were not Toronto.. He needs to add muscle and get his ass off social media.. Focus on himself and how he can improve his game and those around him..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad