TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's a a sad day to hear huhson's retirement.

Those who remember Jim hughson's work in his earlier days, particularly on tsn, will remember a very good play by play guy.

I think Hughson lost some of that zest especially when he moved over to the main gig at cbc. His enthusiasm didn't come through like it used to, although he was still decent enough.

And now we have seen even less of him during the covid pandemic. I suspect he was not comfortable with travelling around so much in these conditions, and maybe it lead to accelerating his exit from the booth.

I'm going to miss him, especially the earlier version of hughson. I hope his career legacy isn't defined by his cbc work.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I never understood all the hughson hate.

I was a big fan of nhl 99, though...Maybe that biased me.

Close!

NHL 97 on PC, believe that was on our first ever Pentium. Had a 386 at home before that, I was 12, we went from Radisson (BJ) to Montreal in Dad's Suburban to get it, and I was so excited. Motocross Madness played my mp3's, but Jim Hughson provided hours upon hours of commentary for NHL play. Helped me learn English too. I credit Hughson & Dexter Holland for that.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I never understood all the hughson hate.

I was a big fan of nhl 99, though...Maybe that biased me.

Leaf fans seem to think that he and Simpson had an anti leaf agenda, and others accuse him of being too pro canuck. I think the leaf audience is pre conditioned to a pro leaf hnic if they think he was a leaf hater.

Others tend to think he was too banal of a broadcaster. This point I could understand especially for those who never saw him on tsn.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Knuckles had Rick Tocchet on today and he gave a scouting report on Christian Dvorak. Zona did have him playing in the same role as Danault, taking the key dzone draws where he has been improving. Said it probably effected his offensive numbers. He gets his goals from the front of the net. He also talked about Alex Galchenyuk when asked why AG has bounced around. Said he got in some bad habits that were hard to break, trying to play an east/west style, they tried to get him to play more north/south. Also said he was a very hard worker, always trying to improve. Knuckles gets some good guests.

Reactions: angusyoung

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Then people wonder why I highly dislike the morning guys on TSN 690

mckenna thinks Kucherov is better than mcdavid
Umm sorry, Kucherov is good… VERY GOOD, he’s not better than McDavid

and Starr thinks Crosby is not a top 10 player in the league anymore. McKenna tells him 62 points in 55 games last year….. oh! Well then he can stay in the top 10 I guess

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
tony and guys like him add to the problem of mental health

whining today on how the season is over, it has not even started...
he does not like being called out and saying he is a clown, yet he can do the same

I wish players would call out guys like him, chubby tony sitting there and his point is always right
if the habs do ok, he will change his tune...

Reactions: angusyoung

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
all tony's buddies say the habs are down...
let's all breathe, yes it will be tough.. but hey what is Carey is supposed to do?

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Then people wonder why I highly dislike the morning guys on TSN 690

mckenna thinks Kucherov is better than mcdavid
Umm sorry, Kucherov is good… VERY GOOD, he’s not better than McDavid

and Starr thinks Crosby is not a top 10 player in the league anymore. McKenna tells him 62 points in 55 games last year….. oh! Well then he can stay in the top 10 I guess
Starr is a Penguins and Crosby hater .
He's also a Montreal Canadiens hater.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
tony and guys like him add to the problem of mental health

whining today on how the season is over, it has not even started...
he does not like being called out and saying he is a clown, yet he can do the same

I wish players would call out guys like him, chubby tony sitting there and his point is always right
if the habs do ok, he will change his tune...
?Chubby?! Try obese.

Reactions: jackeymoon

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Dunno if it's the loss of McGuire or the poor quality of new guests or the frat boy political producer but man the quality of Melnick's show has gone down the tubes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad