UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Seriously, when was the last time UNB didn't get the players they wanted?

Michael Kirkpatrick in 2011 is probably the most recent to me.

Doesn’t happen often (I know of few)

Guys in chl want unb offer for many reason.

I know of few players on unb current roster had committed elsewhere verbally or pledge their commitment (did not sign Loi) and then unb missed on some top choices (AHL deals or ELC) and those players ended up at UNB.

Reactions: AUS Fan

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Indeed. Lots of variables into unb culture
Let be real , at least UNB has fans , as annoying as we may be that’s more than essentially every other program in Canada can say.

Edit - Maybe I’m wrong about what you’re implying but after some of the comments in the UCup thread I think I took this out of context haha.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Let be real , at least UNB has fans , as annoying as we may be that’s more than essentially every other program in Canada can say.

Edit - Maybe I’m wrong about what you’re implying but after some of the comments in the UCup thread I think I took this out of context haha.

I would guess that Lakehead has fans also but they aren't on this forum.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017

What I’m saying is UNB has winning culture which draws players. Fan base is amazing and alumni I had pleasure speaking with are truly amazing. With that being said UNB alumni explain to me how business end works. Hockey program is run like professional team and all revenue generated goes back into hockey team and not shared with rest of varsity teams. Budget supersedes all other teams in Canada which gives UNB competitive advantage over any school. As alumni said “it’s national or bust - to maintain alumni “revenue support” - friends of program example extra money aka comparable to NIL NCAA Money”

I’ve heard some whack stories from all over country including alumni example offer players receiving up to 2000 week as work study “job”. Book/Accountant does amazing job at all universities but especially AUS - making sure monetary is within usport guidelines “UNB then drop below was quote I heard a lot financial ”

Be aware some are getting to wits ends at governor level and action like Dal will happen to All AUS however as alumni’s and people in know don’t buy that. “Too much cover up at Usports level or laziness”

My thoughts good for UNB testing boundaries on AFA capacities/Work Study/Job /Housing ETC”. If all schools had same budget I still believe UNB would be school of choice but their dominance wouldn’t be same

Last edited:
Reactions: AUS Fan

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What I’m saying is UNB has winning culture which draws players. Fan base is amazing and alumni I had pleasure speaking with are truly amazing. With that being said UNB alumni explain to me how business end works. Hockey program is run like professional team and all revenue generated goes back into hockey team and not shared with rest of varsity teams. Budget supersedes all other teams in Canada which gives UNB competitive advantage over any school. As alumni said “it’s national or bust - to maintain alumni “revenue support” - friends of program example extra money aka comparable to NIL NCAA Money”
I've often wondered if ticket revenue from the hockey games went back to the entire athletic department or just the hockey team. Is that common practice across the country?

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Depends on AD and what school is known for.
I know scholarships aren't a full picture of a team's budget (especially so with UNB, maybe), but it's worthwhile to note that Ontario mandates that 45% of a department's AFA monies go to female athletes.
For departments with a football program, this usually means all other sports have a fairly balanced split (on the whole) of AFA dollars - somewhere between 45%-50% for other men's teams, 45%-50% for women's, and the rest for football, since football has so many athletes on AFA (field hockey, the only female-only OUA sanctioned sport, has much fewer rostered athletes, and thus fewer AFAs).
All this to say - many departments and leagues have mandates around what revenues can or should be "kept" by individual programs, and which ones must be redistributed through the department to meet their equity or other business goals.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I've often wondered if ticket revenue from the hockey games went back to the entire athletic department or just the hockey team. Is that common practice across the country?
AUC revenue is centralized with Varsity Athletics, within the Kinesiology Faculty budget. So no, the men's hockey team doesn't get the gate. They get a budget from Kin, which is probably the largest among the teams, followed by women's hockey. But all Varsity and club teams can raise additional revenue through selling off old jerseys, spare jackets, etc., at games, bake sales, whatever ...

Individual UNB teams do have support groups of alumni and other supporters who help raise money for scholarships - legal AFAs. These of course are really important for recruitment.

UNB work-study positions on campus are 10 hours per week, $16.47 per hour, and are open competitions for any student who has the qualifications for the job/task.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
AUC revenue is centralized with Varsity Athletics, within the Kinesiology Faculty budget. So no, the men's hockey team doesn't get the gate. They get a budget from Kin, which is probably the largest among the teams, followed by women's hockey. But all Varsity and club teams can raise additional revenue through selling off old jerseys, spare jackets, etc., at games, bake sales, whatever ...

Individual UNB teams do have support groups of alumni and other supporters who help raise money for scholarships - legal AFAs. These of course are really important for recruitment.

UNB work-study positions on campus are 10 hours per week, $16.47 per hour, and are open competitions for any student who has the qualifications for the job/task.

Explain 1200 per week for 10 hours alumni speak off :)

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Report from alumni is that how it was coded in books
Honest question: are there accusations of UNB cheating here? Or is the complaint that UNB is spending money that creates a competitive imbalance, but isn't explicitly against the rules?

If it's the latter, then your grievance is with the governing bodies, not with UNB. This kind of thing happens even more egregiously in football - Western has the best catered meals throughout their entire training camp. Laval has the best S+C resources. Guelph has a D1 NCAA-style locker room, and there were longstanding rumors that the former coach (and multimillionaire businessman) owned several student houses for Guelph players, for which he charged $1/month in rent.

Don't forget: TMU's biggest recruiting advantage is their rink, which was essentially gifted to them in the form of a $15mil donation from a wealthly homebuilder. If a program can make money (or have money given to it), it'll find creative ways to spend it. If it's within the rules, and the rules should be stricter, I get it - but until then, I'm not sure what we're arguing about.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
But all Varsity and club teams can raise additional revenue through selling off old jerseys, spare jackets, etc., at games, bake sales, whatever ...

I believe there are two types of donations that UNB Athletics manages; a donor can give to the overall program (money shared among all teams and the department) or a Team Specific donation where the funds are split 80/20 between a team and the department.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Was this truly the best ever UNB team?

I've been wondering about this ever since they won in Toronto, as several UNB hockey alumni asked my opinion at the time.

This team was perfect. Hard to argue with that success. However, Gardiner has argued that his 2019-20 and 2020-21 (Covid year) teams might be his best ever teams.

So how do you measure? By results? By the competitors? This year the field at Nationals didn't seem to be one of the best ever. I feel that the UQTR team that won in Wolfville was better than this year. Alberta wasn't there. Calgary and UBC were "upset" this year at Nationals. So if you cleaned house at Nationals, but it wasn't a superiour field, does that discount the success?

That being said, I believe this team played the best and most consistent team defensive system, or forecheck that we've ever witnessed. They put in the hard work every shift, and they truly were a Red machine. For the most part they didn't allow their opponents any peace, as they came at them, hard, every shift. For me it was an incredible team buy-in, and it worked.

Anyone else have thoughts?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

I've been wondering about this ever since they won in Toronto, as several UNB hockey alumni asked my opinion at the time.

This team was perfect. Hard to argue with that success. However, Gardiner has argued that his 2019-20 and 2020-21 (Covid year) teams might be his best ever teams.

So how do you measure? By results? By the competitors? This year the field at Nationals didn't seem to be one of the best ever. I feel that the UQTR team that won in Wolfville was better than this year. Alberta wasn't there. Calgary and UBC were "upset" this year at Nationals. So if you cleaned house at Nationals, but it wasn't a superiour field, does that discount the success?

That being said, I believe this team played the best and most consistent team defensive system, or forecheck that we've ever witnessed. They put in the hard work every shift, and they truly were a Red machine. For the most part they didn't allow their opponents any peace, as they came at them, hard, every shift. For me it was an incredible team buy-in, and it worked.

I agree that the field was a bit "weak", but that doesn't detract from the on-ice performance of UNB.

Picking a best of anything is highly subjective, so I prefer to just enjoy the on-ice poduct.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022

I am no expert on the history of UNB hockey, but what level of performance could possibly exceed a perfect season that concluded with three consecutive shutouts and a GF-GA of 15-0 in the University Cup?

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I am no expert on the history of UNB hockey, but what level of performance could possibly exceed a perfect season that concluded with three consecutive shutouts and a GF-GA of 15-0 in the University Cup?
September-March without allowing a goal? Win every game by 4+? I don’t even know , I was saying to someone the other day that it can only really go down from this point lol but talking seriously , the only thing they could improve on is to win every game in regulation.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Just saw that on the WHL site announcing some of their coaches to G-Mac's staff. Would that be considered an unconventional pick?
To an extent but if you dig on elite prospects you will find guys like Nolan Baumgartner who were NHL assistant coaches or guys between jobs in pro hockey etc, so it’s not exclusively CHL coaches

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad