Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
I love this move!

What I take from it: Staios will be our GM for possibly this seas and next. Bowness, with the 'Associate' role, is someone they like and are grooming for the role. Poulin will take pressure off of Staios on the hockey leadership side, as he has more work to do as full-time GM.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Two ways to look at this.

Staios hired himself for a coveted position by abusing his power of POHO.

or

Staios knowing Andlauer holds people accountable put himself at risk because he believes this is the right move for the team.

Reactions: Game 7 Meltdown

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Hopefully it won't be a "too many cooks in the kitchen" scenario and that they will be able to work together to build /create a winner.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
I love this move!

What I take from it: Staios will be our GM for possibly this seas and next. Bowness, with the 'Associate' role, is someone they like and are grooming for the role. Poulin will take pressure off of Staios on the hockey leadership side, as he has more work to do as full-time GM.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
The team sucks right now but having Martin, Alfie and Poulin join the organizing is simply brilliant. Went from zero to hero on the IQ scale when it comes to hockey minds.
As for Staios, I like what I’ve heard from him and certainly better than the cringe inducing idiocy we had previously.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I get that he's highly respected and is a good hockey mind. But there was a time when he was trying to crap on Karlsson and his takes were completely out to lunch, I semi-resent him because of how horrible his assessment on Karlsson was at the time. I'm sure this is good for the team though.
I guess we can agree to disagree.

That's exactly what I like about him. I totally agree with his assessment on Karlsson.

Reactions: LiseL and h2

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Staios. Really. Disappointed.

Poulin whatever. Idiot until proven otherwise.

I don't think Staios will be GM this time next year.

They have 1.5 seasons until Brady's NMC. They are auditioning to keep him. After the team failed to respond to a coaching change, they need to start the retool ASAP because time is not on their side. They don't have the luxury of waiting for an elite GM in the summer and letting him put his stamp on the team.

Staios named GM to start tearing the core apart for picks and prospects. They will get a top level GM next year who will then be in the position to acquire roster players at the draft and on July 1st.

Last year's TDL was a seller's market. July 1st was an extreme buyer's market. They need to name a GM and get the process started of selling off some of these players to recoup assets that the next GM (or Staios) can use to retool. We have no assets as of now..

Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Two ways to look at this.

Staios hired himself for a coveted position by abusing his power of POHO.

or

Staios knowing Andlauer holds people accountable put himself at risk because he believes this is the right move for the team.
More likely staios wants to be GM because every hockey fan wants to be GM and he’s best friends with the owner. It’s all very dumb but sens typical.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Totally ok with this, we can now start making actual moves without the cloud of the next GM not approving said moves hanging over our heads.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think Staios will be GM this time next year.

They have 1.5 seasons until Brady's NMC. They are auditioning to keep him. After the team failed to respond to a coaching change, they need to start the retool ASAP because time is not on their side. They don't have the luxury of waiting for an elite GM in the summer and letting him put his stamp on the team.

Staios named GM to start tearing the core apart for picks and prospects. They will get a top level GM next year who will then be in the position to acquire roster players at the draft and on July 1st.

Last year's TDL was a seller's market. July 1st was an extreme buyer's market. They need to name a GM and get the process started of selling off some of these players to recoup assets that the next GM (or Staios) can use to retool. We have no assets as of now..
I personally think you’re wrong about this

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Dave Poulin talks about what he would do with the Sens

He added nothing that anyone of us on this hfboards would say if asked about the Senators.
He said we haven't had a full compliment of players..... either because of injury,or other circumstances, so it's been hard to judge this team or see what they are capable of.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dave Poulin talks about what he would do with the Sens

Good Interview tape.

I have no issues with the hire. Not sure about Staios/Bowness combo in the GM seat . There is no reason why as a group they can't build out the Hockey Ops with good people that would lead to better decisions in the scouting departments

Reactions: Cosmix

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I always got the sense that Poulin was very hesitant to blame coaching on the Sens issues whenever he was on during the morning radio show.

Reactions: SensHulk

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
My guess is that Staios has decided there's no one they can hire as GM during the season so he'll take off the interim tag until the offseason. Then next summer they can hire someone as GM and Staios will just be POHO.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Most of us seemed to think this was coming even before Andlauer took over. So doesnt seem shocking to me. I was ok with it then and still am. Hopefully a little smart stability to come

Reactions: albator71

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I'm okay with it, let's see what they can do. I always like to give others the chance to prove themselves. It's up to them now to get to work and turn this franchise around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad