Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Staios will be GM this time next year.

They have 1.5 seasons until Brady's NMC. They are auditioning to keep him. After the team failed to respond to a coaching change, they need to start the retool ASAP because time is not on their side. They don't have the luxury of waiting for an elite GM in the summer and letting him put his stamp on the team.

Staios named GM to start tearing the core apart for picks and prospects. They will get a top level GM next year who will then be in the position to acquire roster players at the draft and on July 1st.

Last year's TDL was a seller's market. July 1st was an extreme buyer's market. They need to name a GM and get the process started of selling off some of these players to recoup assets that the next GM (or Staios) can use to retool. We have no assets as of now..
Take a step away from the ledge. This is a wild and insane post.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Most of us seemed to think this was coming even before Andlauer took over. So doesnt seem shocking to me. I was ok with it then and still am. Hopefully a little smart stability to come
That is so true, I remember when Dorion was the GM and many posters here would say I want Steve Staios as our GM well now you got him...be happy

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I don't think Staios will be GM this time next year.

They have 1.5 seasons until Brady's NMC. They are auditioning to keep him. After the team failed to respond to a coaching change, they need to start the retool ASAP because time is not on their side. They don't have the luxury of waiting for an elite GM in the summer and letting him put his stamp on the team.

Staios named GM to start tearing the core apart for picks and prospects. They will get a top level GM next year who will then be in the position to acquire roster players at the draft and on July 1st.

Last year's TDL was a seller's market. July 1st was an extreme buyer's market. They need to name a GM and get the process started of selling off some of these players to recoup assets that the next GM (or Staios) can use to retool. We have no assets as of now..
Are you ok??

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
One of your all time worst posts.
Or all time best.

Poulin has forgot more than any of you know about hockey. Reading this board literally makes it insufferable right now.

Because they took over ownership in pre season. Are you that unfamiliar with this organization? You post every day.
Well thought we were waiting for a new GM to pick the coach? If staios was just gonna be like “surprise it’s me” then..just fire the coach

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Stupid.

Staios has zero experience as an NHL GM. So we changed Melnyk with Melnyk. I like Pouly, I really do. But does Andlauer only hire people from f***ing TSN1200? Wtf is this.

Like I can see him and Staios huddled around the radio , with a log fire in the background, listening to Martin and say “he would be good as a coach”, and “Pouly made some great points there, let’s offer him a job too”.

What an absolute joke of a franchise
Lol. It's been half a season. Not even. This doesn't eliminate the possibility of a change still coming. They likely just can't pry their guy mid season and are taking the interim tag off for now. He'll need to be the guy through the draft. And at least it was Martin and Poulin brought in from TSN 1200, not a butt end of a joke hire just to rock the boat like Pierre Maguire was. These guys shouldn't be lumped in with a lunatic like Melnyk just because the GM they're going with is inexperienced. Promoted during a time they can't hire externally from other organizations. Do we have crazy tales of instability dropping every other week? It's not their fault Melnyk, Dorion and DJ left such a mess that everyone called out for like a decade.

The proof is in the pudding. This team isn't very good. Them seemingly recognizing that before anyone else could actually be an example of their analysis being a positive. If not, and they did it because they wanted to give Dorion and DJ one last shot to prove themselves, then that's obviously an error in judgement in hindsight, but again, it's year one and the sale got delayed into camp.

Some of you guys crack me up. All those years of patience for Melnyk and half a season in already trying to lump Andlauer in with his pathetic operation. He was just misunderstood. Nice guy or whatever. Dorion's genius scorched earth end game that never came to fruition. And now we're drawing comparisons not even a half a season in after the sale was delayed into training camp. Melnyk was a terrible owner and we now know the people he put in place couldn't hack it. Andlauer is still TBD even if mid training camp to now has been rocky.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It seems to me that Poulin fits with Staios and Andlauer. Slow, Methodical, Measure twice , Cut once approach. Its good for where the Sens are at. Some serious repairs and changes are required along with the decisions to retool and reconstruct this team.

It seemingly took Dorion 5 minutes to make a big splash trade when he got the reigns showing off to Melnyk how smart he is at saving money. He moved out a young 1C + a 2nd round pick to be for the veteran 2/3 C Brassard after his 2m signing bonus was payed.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The Reckoning era begun with DJ getting fired and all the ties to ConMan Prime era were undone (I guess Capuano is still around) and not much could get done without an established leadership structure. We are now set.

Time to get under the hood of this unmitigated disaster and make some very difficult decisions and time is not on this roster's side. This season is lost and the next one has to be much better, the status quo is untenable and you can be sure Martin and Alfie have opinions on this core and will inform what moves we make.

Poulin worked for the Leafs so he's got experience being part of a big machine front office which is good.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I always got the sense that Poulin was very hesitant to blame coaching on the Sens issues whenever he was on during the morning radio show.
He was and I bet that was because he believed that coaching wasn't the biggest problem but he didn't want to say it on the radio. He's a diplomat which is good.

DJ wasn't good enough but the mess we keep seeing can't be on coaching alone: too many important players are making too many simple mistakes on a consistent basis. The roster has structural problems that hamper the coaches ability to get the most out of it. A better coach will get more but it won't be enough to turn this roster around: too many lefties and not physical enough.

Reactions: LiseL

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I like this set up, and that video of Poulin breaking down the team, although pretty straightforward, is a good sign. This team's core is just entering their prime, all this talk about blowing it up and trading core pieces is moronic.

We have another year to get rid of the scraps, bring in new free agents and draft three studs on ELCs via the draft.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Would have preferred we hired a GM, ideally one with a good track record.

Staios may be a former player with some management experience but he's never been a GM in this league, now he's the president and GM.

Disappointing, but I do like Poulin. Has always seemed like a smart hockey mind.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This team's core is just entering their prime, all this talk about blowing it up and trading core pieces is moronic.
No one is talking about blowing anything up or dumping the core.

I do think the idea that we shouldn't entertain the thought of trading one of our core players to be silly.

The core is entering its prime and has gotten used to losing. We don't want to turn into Buffalo. Something has to give, there are a lot of reasons we suck despite having so many good players and it can't be all on coaching.

The rebuild has officially gone off the rails. The time to course correct is now.

Reactions: LiseL

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
He was and I bet that was because he believed that coaching wasn't the biggest problem but he didn't want to say it on the radio. He's a diplomat which is good.

DJ wasn't good enough but the mess we keep seeing can't be on coaching alone: too many important players are making too many simple mistakes on a consistent basis. The roster has structural problems that hamper the coaches ability to get the most out of it. A better coach will get more but it won't be enough to turn this roster around: too many lefties and not physical enough.
It would have been ideal had DJ been let go a while ago and a competent coach was brought in from the get go to get a true valuation of the team even if there were injuries/suspensions.

Anyways I think this will be the last time I mention when DJ should have been fired as it's beating a dead horse. Sucks that basically another season has been wasted.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stupid.

Staios has zero experience as an NHL GM. So we changed Melnyk with Melnyk. I like Pouly, I really do. But does Andlauer only hire people from f***ing TSN1200? Wtf is this.

Like I can see him and Staios huddled around the radio , with a log fire in the background, listening to Martin and say “he would be good as a coach”, and “Pouly made some great points there, let’s offer him a job too”.

What an absolute joke of a franchise
Nothing is more stupid than thinking Andlauer is anything like Melnyk.

All he has done is add since he took over the team for 1 billion in PRE SEASON. He's upgrading absolutely everywhere and spending money everywhere. From hockey ops, to marketing, to in arena staff, to medical staff.

He's hired a bunch of great hockey minds and people with integrity and experience. The melnyk rot in this organization isn't going to go away over night.

It takes time. Straight from someone I know in the organization who is high up. 'The changes have been astronomical' ' the culture is unrecognizable compared to before'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad