Tennis: US Open 2023

Oct 18, 2006
This is the highest level of anyone at this USO. Easy. Novak won’t get near him with his serving and lapses.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Either way we get a great storyline - rematch of the 2021 open, or Alcaraz proves that he really does belong at the same table as the all time greats if he can come back

Reactions: Elvis P
Oct 18, 2006
No one can beat this version of Daniil, it's scary right now.
Agreed. Freakish. The pace, angles, hands, it’s ridiculous. Bizarre how rarely he displays this but man is it enjoyable. If he wins today, and plays like this in the F, I’d simply have to say too good.

Reactions: Elvis P

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Either way we get a great storyline - rematch of the 2021 open, or Alcaraz proves that he really does belong at the same table as the all time greats if he can come back
I think Alcaraz has already proved that he is at that table, beating Djokovic at Wimbledon was an impossible feat.

I don't see how he doesn't rack up 15+ majors, health permitting.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I think Alcaraz has already proved that he is at that table, beating Djokovic at Wimbledon was an impossible feat.

I don't see how he doesn't rack up 15+ majors, health permitting.
While I definitely see the merit of your post, I really like to judge athletes on two major conditions - how they play when things go their way, and how they play when things don't. Joker has shown his ability to come back when down two sets to love in a major final. Alcaraz has certainly shown his ability to dominate when things are going well, but I still have the vision of him retiring against Nole at Roland Garros.

For a hockey analogy - I'm a big Leafs fan. I think of a guy like Matthews as someone who has all the talent of some of the greatest players ever, and can put up legendary 60 goal MVP seasons. But the reason he can't sit at the all time greats table yet is that he hasn't shown that he can overcome and elevate himself when things aren't going his way. An imperfect analogy since Alcaraz has already won multiple majors, but I think it demonstrates my point

There is no question Carlitos can dominate like few others ever have when he's firing on all gears - but I want to see what he's really got deep down when his back is against the wall and times are tough

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
While I definitely see the merit of your post, I really like to judge athletes on two major conditions - how they play when things go their way, and how they play when things don't. Joker has shown his ability to come back when down two sets to love in a major final. Alcaraz has certainly shown his ability to dominate when things are going well, but I still have the vision of him retiring against Nole at Roland Garros.

For a hockey analogy - I'm a big Leafs fan. I think of a guy like Matthews as someone who has all the talent of some of the greatest players ever, and can put up legendary 60 goal MVP seasons. But the reason he can't sit at the all time greats table yet is that he hasn't shown that he can overcome and elevate himself when things aren't going his way. An imperfect analogy since Alcaraz has already won multiple majors, but I think it demonstrates my point

There is no question Carlitos can dominate like few others ever have when he's firing on all gears - but I want to see what he's really got deep down when his back is against the wall and times are tough

Being this good on all surfaces this young, is pretty unheard of though. I doubt any 19(?) year old is able to beat prime Djokovic on his surface in the middle of an unbeaten streak without having an insanely strong mental game.

The speed, power, and finesse he has are all pretty much elite, I just hope he doesn't get hurt. I don't see anyone really competing with him once Djokovic is out the picture.

Reactions: Primary Assist

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ain't over yet, and Alex looks a lot more confident.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
My advice to Medvedev would be for him to stand further back on the return.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Set to Carlos.

All that sprinting toward drop shots has to be taking a toll on Medvedev's legs.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev looks like he is wearing down. Keep holding, Carlos, and good things will happen.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos is living so dangerously here.

This feels like it might be the pivotal game of the match.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That's a killer. But well-earned by Daniil.

Daniel looked fresh as a daisy in that service game.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad