Visitor's Locker Room (Ticket talk, Restaurants, Fantasy Questions, etc)

BringBackTheRats

Mar 13, 2012
Albany, NY
Hey Metro buds, I’m coming down for the 11/11 game and was hoping to sit lower bowl where the Devils shoot twice. Looking like $175 per ticket (with fees) is the going rate. Does that sound about right or do prices usually drop closer to the game?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Hey Metro buds, I’m coming down for the 11/11 game and was hoping to sit lower bowl where the Devils shoot twice. Looking like $175 per ticket (with fees) is the going rate. Does that sound about right or do prices usually drop closer to the game?
It's highly opponent dependent. Given the state of the Devils this year, I'd expect prices will drop significantly as the game approaches.

Reactions: BringBackTheRats

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

The 11/11 game? Assume you mean the January 11 game? It's a Saturday PM game so it'll likely be a hot ticket but it's against the Devils who aren't really a rival and who aren't good (no offense) so I'd expect prices to drop.

BringBackTheRats

Mar 13, 2012
Albany, NY
Oops, meant 1/11. Thanks for the replies! Haven’t been to DC since I was 15 (30 now) and this is my first time going to a game at your arena. Any must try local breweries you can recommend?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Wait until 30 minutes before the game, have an app ready, (Seatgeek, StubHub) and get some cheap ass tickets. It's worked for me for the last five seasons.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We're staying at my GF's mom's place near East Falls Church

Dogfish Head has an Ale House out that way. I've heard good things about Settle Down Easy Brewing and Audacious Aleworks as well but can't vouch for them. DC Brau is one of my favorites but it's kind of in the middle of nowhere as far as DC neighborhoods go. I also like Bluejacket which is right near the baseball stadium. For downtown before the game, my favorite bar (Iron Horse Tap Room) closed down and was replaced by The Boardwalk. Haven't been yet but it's supposed to be good.

Knuble91

Dec 17, 2019
Me and my girlfriend are in town for the game tomorrow, where are some spots to look into for NYE festivities and dinner that won’t completely kill our wallets

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Looking to come over for the Caps/Preds game, should I wait until closer to the game to grab a ticket? or are the prices about where theyre gonna stay? I'm going to be looking for a single lower bowl ticket.

Yodasnuggs

Jan 2, 2020
Hi Caps fans! Isles fan looking to come down next month for the 2/10 game.

Can anyone recommend any good craft breweries in the DC metro area? Does not have to be near the arena, just somewhere we can either public transit or Uber to.

The only places we've been to previously are right around the arena, Capital City, Gordon Biersch and a chophouse that's also a brewery whose name escapes me at the moment. Our favorite style is IPA, but we enjoy checking out any place that's cool/different, so unless it's, say, an all sours place, all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help!

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Hi Caps fans! Isles fan looking to come down next month for the 2/10 game.

Can anyone recommend any good craft breweries in the DC metro area? Does not have to be near the arena, just somewhere we can either public transit or Uber to.

The only places we've been to previously are right around the arena, Capital City, Gordon Biersch and a chophouse that's also a brewery whose name escapes me at the moment. Our favorite style is IPA, but we enjoy checking out any place that's cool/different, so unless it's, say, an all sours place, all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help!
See my reply 4 posts up :).

In addition to Dominion and Aslin, I'd recommend Churchkey in the city. It's a nationally renowned beer bar and it's curated by the owner of Bluejacket Brewery, Greg Engert.

Yodasnuggs

Jan 2, 2020
See my reply 4 posts up :).

In addition to Dominion and Aslin, I'd recommend Churchkey in the city. It's a nationally renowned beer bar and it's curated by the owner of Bluejacket Brewery, Greg Engert.

OK I SWEAR I scanned the thread in case someone had already asked this question. Clearly I have poor scanning skillz. But thank you SO much, I'll definitely look into all of these!

Last edited:

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Hey guys, Jets fan coming in peace. My 14 year old die hard Caps fan son and I are about to embark on a 4 game in 3 city's trip Friday to DC. We will be attending the Pens and Jets games, fly home to Winnipeg for the Cap/ Jets and then leave the nxt day for Minny to watch the Wild/Caps play.

This trip has been about 5 years in the making and my son is beyond excited (seeing OV get 700 would be over the top). We are staying at the Hyatt White House Hotel. My question os does anybody have any tips or advice to make our game day experiences, and trip in general any better? Are the pregame skates open to the public etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated. This means the world to us!!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So much to do here, just leave the hotel and walk around.

Medstar Iceplex for practices is a simple ride on the Metro (Orange Line), you get off at Ballston Commons and the rink is a block away, they are all open to the public and free. They are easy to catch from basically anywhere in the city. Practices start at 1030am and if the Jets are practicing you can catch them there as well.

Have a blast!!

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The National Portrait Gallery is across the street from Cap One, there's an exhibit on the top floor with some cool sports stuff including a Leroy Neiman portrait of Bobby Hull. The National History Museum, Air and Space Museum, and Zoo are also free and pretty great.

Reactions: Sam Spade

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Thanks so much guys! If you look Im sure youl see an extremely excited blond haired boy right beside the tunnel where the Caps come out behind the bench.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Thanks so much guys! If you look Im sure youl see an extremely excited blond haired boy right beside the tunnel where the Caps come out behind the bench.

Make sure you are the first one in the door and then get to the tunnel quick. If you have a Capitol One card there is actually a special entrance for you (located on 6th Street) and they open it about ten minutes earlier than the general admission gates.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Like Sam Spade wrote above, there is a lot to do around where you are staying. The Hyatt White House is pretty much right smack dab in the middle of everything in DC as a tourist and can access pretty much anywhere in the city using Metro (subway). Uber/Lyft/taxis/bicycle/scooter rentals are everywhere as well.

There usually is something to do in each area. I don't know what your interests are, but since you are traveling with your young son, the National Mall and all its free Smithsonian museums are right next to your hotel, with enough family content and different buildings to last you more than several days. Some of the museums I believe are ticketed, but the major ones should all be free. The free National Zoo is also close by. And you have all of DC's landmarks, monuments and memorials as.

The Capitals' practice rink Kettler is across the river in Arlington, Virginia, but it's just around ~30 min ride on the Metro from where you are at (and is another great area). The actual facility is the top floor of the Ballston Commons Mall.

The Metro runs right under Capital One Arena, so it's really easy to get to the actual games.

Edit: oops forgot to mention that the Metro stop for Capital One Arena is Gallery Place/Chinatown. Which has plenty of shops and restaurants all around it for before and after games

Last edited:

GreatSaveEssensa

Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Make sure you are the first one in the door and then get to the tunnel quick. If you have a Capitol One card there is actually a special entrance for you (located on 6th Street) and they open it about ten minutes earlier than the general admission gates.
Ok and by that do you mean a. Capital One credit card? Because I do have one from Costco. Never thought it would really come in handy lol

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Sounds like an amazing trip, @PortageTerrier! I won't repeat some of the recommendations here but you'll find that there is way more to do in DC than time to do things. Walk around The National Mall and check out the WWII, Vietnam, and Korean War Memorials and check out the Washington Monument as well as the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials. Renting paddle boats and riding around the China Basin is a nice tourist-y thing to do as well (weather permitting).

Looks like there is a 10:15a practice before the Jets game (prax schedule here) and they're open to the public but I would also follow Samantha Pell and Tarik El-Bashir on Twitter (if you're a Twitter guy) as they're the Caps' beat writers and always post relevant info about practice schedules, etc.

With a 14-year-old, you may also want to check out the International Spy Museum. It's not free like the Smithsonians but it's a really neat experience. It's about 2 miles from where you're staying and probably about 1.2-1.5 miles from Capital One Arena. If you're doing the Smithsonians, I rank them: 1. Natural History, 2. American History, 3. Air & Space. The Air & Space Museum is under construction right now and while still open, not as cool. If you or your kid are 'air & space nuts' and you have time, take a trip out to the Udvar-Hazy Center. It's a bit of a trek from downtown DC but it's terrific.

Anyway, have fun; it sounds like this will be a trip you and your son will remember forever (and hopefully Ovi gets 700 while you're here if he hasn't done so already)!

Mod note: will move this to the Out-of-towners thread in a few days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad