Buffalo Bills Week 4: Bills @ Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I hate that I'm wondering this, but in light of the news he's being released and not even kept overnight, I have to: I wonder if the doctors treating him were informed of what happened last Sunday, given that the official story was that injury was not at all head related....

That makes the most sense. Which makes it even more bizarre that they are flying him home. I feel like there was an NBA player not too long ago who had a head-related issue where it was discovered after the fact that if the plane hadn't landed when it did, he could have experienced an embollism or something of the sort.

If Oliver can't play, I trust both the team's doctors and Oliver's commitment enough that I will know it is in both the team's best long term interest as well as Oliver's that he not play.

And it's f***ing gross the way you pile on these players about not playing through injury like you have any idea what the severity of their injuries are or any idea about the danger of re-injuring and making it worse.

If Ed Oliver had an injury like Tua I would hold my tongue. He does not. Don't need to virtue signal here. I'm aware of the impact of injuries. I'm just saying that there are players who go from Limited on the injury report to playing that week and then there is Oliver. And before that it was Star. And before that it was Dareus. We've had plenty of interior tackles not play when others would.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If Oliver plays on Sunday I'll delete my account then. Deal.

If Oliver plays on Sunday I'll delete my account then. Deal.

It’s not your opinion that Oliver won’t play that’s ridiculous…it’s the “our defensive linemen don’t have an interest in playing through playable injuries” opinion

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
If Ed Oliver had an injury like Tua I would hold my tongue. He does not. Don't need to virtue signal here. I'm aware of the impact of injuries. I'm just saying that there are players who go from Limited on the injury report to playing that week and then there is Oliver. And before that it was Star. And before that it was Dareus. We've had plenty of interior tackles not play when others would.
I assure you that I truly find your POV on this despicable. When you get to the point where you're ripping on players for not playing through injuries (something that is ultimately also a training staff decision), you're taking the wins and losses of a sport way too seriously.

Head injuries aren't the only injuries that can affect one's quality of life after football.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
In general I wish American sports (and culture in general) would ditch the whole tough guy "it's noble to push through the pain and play through injury" virtue nonsense. Injured guys shouldn't play just like sick workers shouldn't go to work. It's all just capitalism, only in this case the capitalism is just a game.

Don’t sneeze on me

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
In general I wish American sports (and culture in general) would ditch the whole tough guy "it's noble to push through the pain and play through injury" virtue nonsense. Injured guys shouldn't play just like sick workers shouldn't go to work. It's all just capitalism, only in this case the capitalism is just a game.

That's fine and I agree but there is a trend for our D-linemen over the course of years to not play.

I hate arguing against you because I think you're the most educated Bills fan here. But I also think it's unusual to attack someone who is fed up with our line not playing.

The world is nuanced and quite indifferent. Ed Oliver is going to have a good weekend regardless if he plays or not. Calling people on a message board "despicable" for having an opinion that doesn't cater to them is the real problem here.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
That's fine and I agree but there is a trend for our D-linemen over the course of years to not play.

I hate arguing against you because I think you're the most educated Bills fan here. But I also think it's unusual to attack someone who is fed up with our line not playing.

The world is nuanced and quite indifferent. Ed Oliver is going to have a good weekend regardless if he plays or not. Calling people on a message board "despicable" for having an opinion that doesn't cater to them is the real problem here.
I said your viewpoint was despicable. There's a significant difference there.

And right, the "real problem" is finding a viewpoint objectionable as opposed to someone who shits on players for not playing through injuries with no evidence whatsoever that they "don't care" or "could play but didn't want to." :rolleyes:

And let's be clear here: the Titans game was literally the first game Oliver had missed since he was drafted. Your accusations don't even have a semblance of backing to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don’t disagree with this aside from the capitalism part. It’s cultural and it’s been that was since the first colonists arrived. It’s a by-product of the hardships required to live in wilderness conditions. Australians are very similar in this regard.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I just saw the play and there's no way anyone will ever be able to convince me this wasn't related to last week. His head hit the turf harder last week than it did tonight. That is a man who should have been nowhere near a football field. :(
That’s what I thought. It wasn’t a big whiplash and if that had happened in isolation I doubt he would have even shown any problems from it.

How anyone could let Tua back on the field against the Bills is beyond me. Winning is more important players’ brains no matter what lip service the league and Miami put to it. I don’t care what what Tua said to the docs last week as he no doubt said he was fine, his reaction was clearly a head injury and anyone who said he was fine to play is more interested in a W than in Tua. What happened against the Bengals was sadly foreseeable. The moment I saw the clip in my YouTube feed, before watching any of it I knew it was his head again.

I hope he is OK and I hope that we do not see him on the field for weeks if not months.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I haven't seen the game yet.

I can understand why they threw Tua back out against the Bills last weekend. You don't have time to make a full diagnosis, it's heat of the moment, Tua reportedly insisted he was fine & wanted to get back out there. Weather you agree with it or not - it's a tough call either way.

But to put him out there last night after you have had a number of days to perform tests & make a full diagnosis? That is definitely inexcusable...

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I haven't seen the game yet.

I can understand why they threw Tua back out against the Bills last weekend. You don't have time to make a full diagnosis, it's heat of the moment, Tua reportedly insisted he was fine & wanted to get back out there. Weather you agree with it or not - it's a tough call either way.

But to put him out there last night after you have had a number of days to perform tests & make a full diagnosis? That is definitely inexcusable...
It's not a tough call when someone gets hit in the head and then can't keep their balance.
I have no medical education whatsoever but apparently kniw more about concussions than the experts they employ. Do they want to see their players die or suffer serious brain damage!?!

Reactions: KiwiGriff

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Just out of curiosity, what are the chances Josh Allen would have been going back in the game if he got up like that in a week 3 game? The answer is zero. This coaching staff has erred on the side of caution time and time again. The bills protect their players.

This is 100% on the dolphin's new coach and their medical staff. The guy is looking like your franchise QB and you do nothing to protect him from himself?

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
If Ed is back I'll be stunned and own my absolute loser self here.

With that said, he isn't coming back on Sunday. Just like Tre isn't coming back the minute he's off the IR. These guys are in no hurry.

But if they do, I'll do something drastic and delete my account or change my profile to me crying or something. I've got that parlayed with Tage Thompson sucking this season so I'll likely be gone sooner than later.
he looked pretty good in practice here. We shall see and hope.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It's not a tough call when someone gets hit in the head and then can't keep their balance.
I have no medical education whatsoever but apparently kniw more about concussions than the experts they employ. Do they want to see their players die or suffer serious brain damage!?!
You're missing my point.

Yes it looked like a possible concussion or some type of head injury when he stumbled - but you don't have the time or the evidence to prove that or certainly the full extent of it in the heat of the moment. So when a guy is saying he is fine & wants to play - it's understandable why they would let him go back out there. Even if that turns out to be the wrong decision.

But after a number of days to perform tests & a full diagnosis - there is absolutely no excuse for having him out there.

I am being critical of the Miami organisation here. Nothing else.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
You're missing my point.

Yes it looked like a possible concussion or some type of head injury when he stumbled - but you don't have the time or the evidence to prove that or certainly the full extent of it in the heat of the moment. So when a guy is saying he is fine & wants to play - it's understandable why they would let him go back out there. Even if that turns out to be the wrong decision.

But after a number of days to perform tests & a full diagnosis - there is absolutely no excuse for having him out there.

I am being critical of the Miami organisation here. Nothing else.
It was evident that he hit the back of his head and then had issues with balance. You don't need more than that to evaluate if he should play or not. Asking players about symtoms is just a way to get them back on the field.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
It was evident that he hit the back of his head and then had issues with balance. You don't need more than that to evaluate if he should play or not. Asking players about symtoms is just a way to get them back on the field.
Exactly. The system can’t be to rely on the opinion of the tough guy player. His is an unreliable narrative. That’s literally the point of spotters. To take that choice out of the players’ hands.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

It would be nice to have a healthy O line. I know people were crapping on them this past week, but I thought they played really well in pass protection against LA and Tenn. I'm not putting much stock in the Miami game because of the amount of injuries.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Seeing lots of players, both current and former speaking out but this might be the best response I’ve seen.

Edit…sorry to post so much on it but I’m off work today and just aimlessly scrolling through twitter. Holy shit I don’t remember this but there is some piss poor history with Miami on head trauma. I know the league doesn’t have the best track record from years past but man I’m 2022 teams need to be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: tsujimoto74
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad