Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Too cheap to fly in candidates pretty much tells you Arniel has the job.
normally they have more then just 1 interview, this could very well be the 1st... if it goes well then he could be flown into winnipeg, there is also the fact that he is interviewing with other potential teams as well as us interviewing other potential canidates and zoom ended up being the best option available, this has nothing to do with being "cheap" at all...

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
This is just the 15 min pre-screen with Pinnacle to see if he's worthy of meeting with the big dogs face to face. :sarcasm:

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
normally they have more then just 1 interview, this could very well be the 1st... if it goes well then he could be flown into winnipeg, there is also the fact that he is interviewing with other potential teams as well as us interviewing other potential canidates and zoom ended up being the best option available, this has nothing to do with being "cheap" at all...
If you are aggressively pursuing him you do just that.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
If there is no intention of even considering anyone outside of Arniel, a Zoom call with someone else isn't really "due diligence", is it?
Doing nothing would be worse. Hey Berude may not even be interested but at least he is listening.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It may eventually come that he will be the next head coach, but why didn't they just announce it when Bowmess retired, if that was going to always be the end goal? it's not as complicated or nefarious as people suggest it is. Don't promise people jobs. He should have to re-interview for it. Do it right. Don't be left holding the bag like the last time when you were Trotz or bust.
They wanted the focus of the day to be on Bowness retiring
Too cheap to fly in candidates pretty much tells you Arniel has the job.
How can you fly here with no airport?
:sarcasm:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
I think he's an option but don't think he is guaranteed the job... I don't think not flying a guy in is because they are cheap and means they aren't even considering anyone else as it isn't even an expensive thing to do
I think he is guaranteed the job.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
then why not just have hired him already? interviewing others with no intention of hiring them does nothing at all
It's tricking us fans into believing they tried to get someone "better".

It's easy to make that claim because if you're wrong you just say, "oh, good job Jets!" and that's that. If you're right though, you get to be all "see, I told you guys! SEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
then why not just have hired him already? interviewing others with no intention of hiring them does nothing at all

The organization is of course going to follow a process. It's their job to find the right guy for the job. They will conduct a search. But Arniel has the job unless someone comes along and somehow "knocks it outta the park" so to speak. What that would entail is anybody's guess, and probably isn't going to happen anyway.

Reactions: Orrrules

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
The organization is of course going to follow a process. It's their job to find the right guy for the job. They will conduct a search. But Arniel has the job unless someone comes along and somehow "knocks it outta the park" so to speak. What that would entail is anybody's guess, and probably isn't going to happen anyway.

The coach in his interview would have to say "This is a playoff team and once you get in you have a chance. Its a process" That might knock it out of the park for Chevy.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Do I think Berube will be the Jets next coach, doubtful. Do I think Arniel will be the next Jets coach, probably. Still think that's a mistake though, then again I think it's time to move on from Chevy

Reactions: MarkWheeler

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Do I think Berube will be the Jets next coach, doubtful. Do I think Arniel will be the next Jets coach, probably. Still think that's a mistake though, then again I think it's time to move on from Chevy

Another thought I had, but how often does promoting the assistant work? They are two different roles and often involve different types of relationships with the players. I guess it worked for Bones in Dallas, but it didn't work for the Islanders or the Capitals.

I don't have an issue giving Arniel a chance but are we setting him up for success moving him from assistant to head coach.

Reactions: Buffdog

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Another thought I had, but how often does promoting the assistant work? They are two different roles and often involve different types of relationships with the players. I guess it worked for Bones in Dallas, but it didn't work for the Islanders or the Capitals.

I don't have an issue giving Arniel a chance but are we setting him up for success moving him from assistant to head coach.
Arniel is the safe play, he knows the organization and players maybe that's good maybe that's bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad