Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They won't move KC - and I honestly doubt they move any of them.
If anyone is moved, it will be bottom 6 players - that's assuming they want to open up room for youth.
You move KC and Ehlers, and you are in rebuild territory - if you're going down that road, you might was well move 55 as well.
Regardless, I would be shocked if they move any of these guys - Ehlers possibly, but unlikely.

I'm not advocating moving him. The poster I was replying to talked about making changes to the core if they crashed and burned again. I was just pointing out not much of the core is actually left and KC would be the only piece they could move to shake it up if they wanted to. I guess it depends on if he is willing to reup or not as to whether they move him next summer.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
They won't move KC - and I honestly doubt they move any of them.
If anyone is moved, it will be bottom 6 players - that's assuming they want to open up room for youth.
You move KC and Ehlers, and you are in rebuild territory - if you're going down that road, you might was well move 55 as well.
Regardless, I would be shocked if they move any of these guys - Ehlers possibly, but unlikely.
As much as I love Ehlers, and his electric play, it's pretty apparent you win with grit, and physicality, the same type of thing that Tkachuk and Bennet bring to the Panthers.

If there was the "right return" for Ehlers, to get us past that first round, you have to seriously look at it, as much as I'd hate to see him go.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
It will be interesting to see what an Ehlers trade might yield. If Chevy doesn’t get his price, perhaps Ehlers starts the season with the Jets. He’s patient as we all know.

I don’t see the Jets resigning him this summer. His game doesn’t seem to be suited to grinding playoff hockey. Many of the league’s slight offensively gifted players (guys like Marner, Ehlers, Petersson) have struggled these playoffs.

The Jets already have Connor, Perfetti in addition to Ehlers, so we likely have too many of a similar player. I think they try to retain Connor.

A new coach would have input into the roster and many coaches may want more size and grit, depending on who they hire.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
2 Giant Tigers are closing-Main & McPhillips. While not specifically listed as the reason it's due to the high level of shoplifting.
Pretty sure all the merchandise in Giant Tiger has already been written off by their parent company then sold at a discount so basically 100% profit. I doubt shoplifting is the reason they are closing.

Reactions: Stumbledore and GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It will be interesting to see what an Ehlers trade might yield. If Chevy doesn’t get his price, perhaps Ehlers starts the season with the Jets. He’s patient as we all know.

I don’t see the Jets resigning him this summer. His game doesn’t seem to be suited to grinding playoff hockey. Many of the league’s slight offensively gifted players (guys like Marner, Ehlers, Petersson) have struggled these playoffs.

The Jets already have Connor, Perfetti in addition to Ehlers, so we likely have too many of a similar player. I think they try to retain Connor.

A new coach would have input into the roster and many coaches may want more size and grit, depending on who they hire.

To be fair to Petersson he was dynamite in the playoffs for them during their run in 2020 where he had 7 goals and 18 points in 17 games.

I think signaling out a few small players who have struggled this year isn't all that representative. You could do the same for big gritty players who also struggled. Just as you could point to small players like Kuch, Point, Aho etc who all have performed very well in the playoffs.

Also while I am onboard with moving out Ehlers, the only things in common he, Cole, and KC have is size. All three are very different players.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I thought is was a given for Arniel to be the Jets HC , but it sure seems like there is some chatter for Todd Nelson, don't know to much about him other than his short stint in Oil Country and success that he has had in the Minors. Hey if he can hold the vets responsible and bring alone some prospects and insert new schemes then why not. Oh and bring some new assistants with him.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It’s unlikely he would say anything if he was talking to teams, so take it for what it’s worth…

Hershey Bears head coach Todd Nelson is one of the best bench bosses currently outside the NHL. Despite his gaudy numbers and many individual successes, Nelson revealed on Wednesday after practice that he has not gotten any calls about open head coaching gigs in the NHL.

“I haven’t heard anything and I’m not holding my breath,” Nelson said per Chocolate Hockey. “I’ve been down this road many times. I’m just focused on the task at hand. Whatever happens, happens. I like it here, you know? Focusing on trying to win another Calder Cup.”

JMO, but I would think TNSE would wait until after the AHL playoffs are done before talking to someone in the AHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It’s unlikely he would say anything if he was talking to teams, so take it for what it’s worth…

Hershey Bears head coach Todd Nelson is one of the best bench bosses currently outside the NHL. Despite his gaudy numbers and many individual successes, Nelson revealed on Wednesday after practice that he has not gotten any calls about open head coaching gigs in the NHL.

“I haven’t heard anything and I’m not holding my breath,” Nelson said per Chocolate Hockey. “I’ve been down this road many times. I’m just focused on the task at hand. Whatever happens, happens. I like it here, you know? Focusing on trying to win another Calder Cup.”

JMO, but I would think TNSE would wait until after the AHL playoffs are done before talking to someone in the AHL.

I can't see the Jets trying to interview someone in the middle of a run. It's not fair to the person as they wouldn't have time to prep properly for it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought is was a given for Arniel to be the Jets HC , but it sure seems like there is some chatter for Todd Nelson, don't know to much about him other than his short stint in Oil Country and success that he has had in the Minors. Hey if he can hold the vets responsible and bring alone some prospects and insert new schemes then why not. Oh and bring some new assistants with him.
Since his his name has come up, I've looked into him a bit and he sure seems like a coach players could go to the wall for. He just won AHL coach of the year honours which seem very well deserved.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm all for taking a good hard look at Todd Nelson, if he can motivate younger men, he can surely motivate older men. Give him a shot. Scott Arniel does not have the presence and strength of character to handle the job of Head Coach, but is great as an assistant IMO. Listen to his interviews and post game comments - do you get inspired ??

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
"As the coaching carousel continues to swirl, Todd McLellan has been a popular target. He met with Leafs Monday-Tuesday (all signs point to Craig Berube as the Leafs front runner) but McLellan also spoke with the Jets yesterday. And he has also spoken with NJ and Seattle…"

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
Why is McLellan a popular target? I thought he hasn’t really been particularly successful anywhere, or is that just my imagination? Seems like just about as unimaginative a hire as Arniel.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why is McLellan a popular target? I thought he hasn’t really been particularly successful anywhere, or is that just my imagination? Seems like just about as unimaginative a hire as Arniel.

He's been around forever and has some playoff success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad