Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Plus other Draft talk)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 76 46.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
I don't agree. I think there's big questions about how well he can translate his talents to a more physical, faster NHL on smaller ice. He feasted on MHL level defenders with a lot more time and space in the middle of the offensive zone with weaker, slower, less aware MHL players defending him. So it was a lot of maneuvering the puck right in the middle of the zone where, if he tried that in the NHL a la Terry, he'd get creamed over and over again. There's also questions about how well he can grow from his current 5'11 168 pound frame.

Not to say he can't grow and learn to play in the NHL but I wouldn't say there's fewer questions with him than the available defensemen. If anything I'd say there's less risk going for the defensemen as they can still (probably) be bottom pair guys at worst. Demidov doesn't strike me as a guy that can salvage a career as a bottom 6 depth guy if he isn't able to adapt his game to play in a top 6.

Not that I'm against taking the chance on him, (and it would be more exciting a pick than the defensemen) but I feel like he's got real boom/bust potential and I don't agree with the people who've opined that he's in the conversation with Michkov in terms of Russian native NHL prospects. I think Michkov plays the game in a way that's more indicative of future NHL success.
Most recent reports already have him listed at 181 lbs.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
would love to grab him at 31/32 if they don't take silayev 3rd
He will go mid first round IMO. He was already projected late 1st and with being 6'3.25 RD and his combine performance someone will take him earlier.

Elick also looks like he wont get passed Rangers so the Edmonton pick wont get him either.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I think I'm at the point that I will be very surprised if we don't go D with our first pick, with one of the top D picked up I feel like it sets our defensive core going forward. Minty/3rd pick/Zellweger/Luneau. Been slowly going through the EP draft guide again this year (which I think is quality) and watching some videos.

I have been leaning Silayev but I have cooled on him a bit lately, definitely have worries about offensive upside and he's extremely raw. He's obviously very good defensively, which gives him extremely high upside if he figures it out offensively. But given how raw he is at this stage (personally I'd say he would at least be 4 years off being an NHL player), it concerns me how much input we would have on his development given he'd be playing in Russia. Feels like the type of prospect you want to have 100% oversight over from the get go, and becomes extremely risky when you don't have that. Type of pick you make if you're picking around 10 as if it works out you have a home run, but too risky at 3 for me IMO.

I think I'm all in on Dickinson (and really hoping he gets past Chicago). His skating ability for his height is unreal, especially his change of directions, and given his age, being one of the younger defencemen in the draft, I think he's actually a pretty decently complete defenseman at both ends of the ice despite the criticisms regarding his hockey sense. Feels like he can be dominant at both ends of the ice with the right development, and feels like he can hit that with us given our ability to develop defencemen.

I like Levshunov as well, and if Dickinson is picked up 2nd, I'd be more then happy to go with him. I have some concerns regarding him defensively, but he has all the tools as well. Some of the criticisms around me remind me of Getzlaf in terms of having all the tools, but questions of consistency and drive.

Outside of Demidov, there isn't really any forwards I am massively a fan of with the 3rd pick. Lindstrom's injury being rumoured as a back injury scares me a lot, especially for the type of game he plays. Villardi and Lupul just a couple of players that come to mind that back injuries really set them back massively. Without the injury issues, I'd very much be a fan of Lindstrom at 3.

I also hope we don't buy into the Iginla hype, he reminds me of Etem 2.0 based on what I've watched and read if I'm honest.

Granted, I'm dumb as f***, so I'm probably off on all of my observations :laugh:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I think I'm at the point that I will be very surprised if we don't go D with our first pick, with one of the top D picked up I feel like it sets our defensive core going forward. Minty/3rd pick/Zellweger/Luneau. Been slowly going through the EP draft guide again this year (which I think is quality) and watching some videos.

I have been leaning Silayev but I have cooled on him a bit lately, definitely have worries about offensive upside and he's extremely raw. He's obviously very good defensively, which gives him extremely high upside if he figures it out offensively. But given how raw he is at this stage (personally I'd say he would at least be 4 years off being an NHL player), it concerns me how much input we would have on his development given he'd be playing in Russia. Feels like the type of prospect you want to have 100% oversight over from the get go, and becomes extremely risky when you don't have that. Type of pick you make if you're picking around 10 as if it works out you have a home run, but too risky at 3 for me IMO.

I think I'm all in on Dickinson (and really hoping he gets past Chicago). His skating ability for his height is unreal, especially his change of directions, and given his age, being one of the younger defencemen in the draft, I think he's actually a pretty decently complete defenseman at both ends of the ice despite the criticisms regarding his hockey sense. Feels like he can be dominant at both ends of the ice with the right development, and feels like he can hit that with us given our ability to develop defencemen.

I like Levshunov as well, and if Dickinson is picked up 2nd, I'd be more then happy to go with him. I have some concerns regarding him defensively, but he has all the tools as well. Some of the criticisms around me remind me of Getzlaf in terms of having all the tools, but questions of consistency and drive.

Outside of Demidov, there isn't really any forwards I am massively a fan of with the 3rd pick. Lindstrom's injury being rumoured as a back injury scares me a lot, especially for the type of game he plays. Villardi and Lupul just a couple of players that come to mind that back injuries really set them back massively. Without the injury issues, I'd very much be a fan of Lindstrom at 3.

I also hope we don't buy into the Iginla hype, he reminds me of Etem 2.0 based on what I've watched and read if I'm honest.

Granted, I'm dumb as f***, so I'm probably off on all of my observations :laugh:
Not sure why Silayev would take 4 years to hit the NHL when he is already playing top 4 minutes in the second best league in the world.

I think 4-5 years before he is a top pairing guy is fair, but you would assume he will be in the NHL after his KHL contract is up.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010
Not sure why Silayev would take 4 years to hit the NHL when he is already playing top 4 minutes in the second best league in the world.

I think 4-5 years before he is a top pairing guy is fair, but you would assume he will be in the NHL after his KHL contract is up.
That's fair, I did think Silayev got relegated to the third pairing halfway through the season, sounds like he fell away completely in the second half of the season. Still impressive for a teenager either way granted.

But I'm still not convinced by that offensive side, not many top pairing defenceman in the modern NHL that are poor in transition and offensively.

Reactions: Kalv

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That's fair, I did think Silayev got relegated to the third pairing halfway through the season, sounds like he fell away completely in the second half of the season. Still impressive for a teenager either way granted.

But I'm still not convinced by that offensive side, not many top pairing defenceman in the modern NHL that are poor in transition and offensively.
Silayev has to be judged on what he'll be in 3-5 years, not what he is now. That said, he is a tremendous skater (and not just "for his size"...he's legit one of the best skating D in the draft) and has decent first pass and transition skills. His offense has shown glimpses and he did actually get PP time during the season.

I think the choice is between Dickinson and Silayev. I see the former as the "safe" pick and known quantity while the latter is the home run pick. I'd be ok with either but personally at 3OA I'd prefer going with the potential HR pick.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Saw an interview with Levshunov saying Chi took him out to dinner. How common is that? Maybe they take him at #2. Also, that guy seems fun. Personality kind of reminded me of MAF.

Anyways, I don't really have strong feelings towards who we draft, except that if Lev goes #2 I will be slightly disappointed if we don't get Demidov. If Demidov goes #2, I don't really care who we pick.

So many possibilities who we pick 3rd. So many picks, possibilities of trading up. So much cap space. This should be a very interesting offseason and could be a crucial one for the rebuild.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Silayev has to be judged on what he'll be in 3-5 years, not what he is now. That said, he is a tremendous skater (and not just "for his size"...he's legit one of the best skating D in the draft) and has decent first pass and transition skills. His offense has shown glimpses and he did actually get PP time during the season.

I think the choice is between Dickinson and Silayev. I see the former as the "safe" pick and known quantity while the latter is the home run pick. I'd be ok with either but personally at 3OA I'd prefer going with the potential HR pick.

I kind of see Silayev as a "safe" pick also. With that size and skating, his floor should be a Dman that can shut down the entire ice when he's out there. Is that floor something you want at 3OA? Maybe, maybe not. But if the offense hits, then you'll likely have the best Dman in the draft, And if it doesn't hit, then you'll have someone who compliments our current D very well.

mightyquack

Apr 28, 2010

No doubt about Silayev's skating and mobility that is why he's an attractive prospect (and why I still like him even if he's not my #1 choice now). But I've not really heard too much about Silayev being a decent first pass nor having good transition skills, that's been the biggest knocks on him that I've read - especially being such a good skater but unable to be effective in the transition game.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I kind of see Silayev as a "safe" pick also. With that size and skating, his floor should be a Dman that can shut down the entire ice when he's out there. Is that floor something you want at 3OA? Maybe, maybe not. But if the offense hits, then you'll likely have the best Dman in the draft, And if it doesn't hit, then you'll have someone who compliments our current D very well.
Good point...even if his offense doesn't fully materialize, how much better will he make his D partner by being able to cover for him. Those are very valuable players in the playoffs.

I think Dickinson is "safer" only b/c scouts have seen him much more and there is no contract/Russian factor.

No doubt about Silayev's skating and mobility that is why he's an attractive prospect (and why I still like him even if he's not my #1 choice now). But I've not really heard too much about Silayev being a decent first pass nor having good transition skills, that's been the biggest knocks on him that I've read - especially being such a good skater but unable to be effective in the transition game.
You may be right which is why I called those skills "decent". I don't think you can play a whole year in the KHL without being at least decent in those areas. And it's worth noting that Silayev's coach said he was their best D in their playoffs (although it was only 5 games).

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
How does he not understand this?

How people treat people serving them is a sign of who they truly are.

I was with a lady who was rude to a server and it completely changed my view of her forever.
I get it, but at the same time, if Mike Babcock asked that question it would be received pretty poorly.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

If Lev isn't there at #3 and we're still seeking a defenseman, then I'd take Dickinson over Silayev. Dickinson and Silayev are shutdown d-men, but Dickinson was able to improve his offense this past season, as he went from 23 pts in 62 games as a 16-year old in the OHL to 70 points in 68 games as a 17-year old in the OHL. From reports and video scouting, the game moves too fast for Dickinson with the puck on his stick when in transition. He's better off receiving the puck in the Ozone for a tip in or blasting it from the point, which has worked out well for him this year. There's a chance he could develop that offensive transition game as a puck carrier where the game slows down for him, but he will still provide adequate offense as is compared to other shutdown d-men (DFD) in the draft like a Silayev, Elick, or Emery.

Should a team not care too much on developing Dickinson's offense, then I think he might be ready for the NHL next year b/c I believe his defense will only plateau in the OHL.

If we somehow land Lev at #3, then I recommend leaving him in the NCAA for another season to continue his defensive development. I am impressed with MSU's development of Lev from his first year on NA ice with the USHL (-15 rating, team worst) to his freshman season in the NCAA (+27 rating, first on team and 13th overall in the NCAA).

If we go forward prospect and are looking for a homerun pick, then it's gotta be Lindstrom. Of course the medicals must be sorted out and see if it's not a potentially recurring theme. I guess Demidov would be a good consolation prize if the team is scared away medically. The thing is if it's that bad medically, then Lindstrom's stock should have been knocked down further in mocks like a Peyton Krebs (17th overall) or Tristan Luneau (53rd overall, Rd 2). That's why I think Lindstrom should be placed ahead of Demidov.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i still find it odd to be asking prospects about their uber rating

not to mention that the people you're riding with can affect that despite you being an A+ passenger. i had a perfect uber rating until i rode with a drunk friend one night who spilled food everywhere and that brought my rating down

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI

not to mention that the people you're riding with can affect that despite you being an A+ passenger. i had a perfect uber rating until i rode with a drunk friend one night who spilled food everywhere and that brought my rating down

I'm sure front offices would take into consideration who these young men associate themselves with as well.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019

Also good to know the type of company you keep

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad