WC: 2024 Team USA

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Glad to see the depth really start to materialize. We've got 7 guys over a point per game. But we need to make some changes in our bottom 6, they just don't feel dangerous enough at all. I would make the following tweak:

Farabee - Zegras - Brindley
Essymont - Hayes - Kunin

Brindley has been awesome, I think he deserves a promotion - he's the perfect type of guy who could really spark Zegras if we move him back to center. That 3rd line now feels like a scoring line again.

we of course got the worst qf match compared to Canada, Sweden and the Swiss...it is never easy for us here.
We got this. Team is finally starting to flex its depth muscles.

Look at how beefy our top 6F and top 4D are:

1716326440740.png

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I had a crazy thought about something I would love to see happen.

What if USA Hockey brought that years WJC team with them to the World Championships each year? Not to play but to be there as a group and watch their peers play.

Imagine the bond and culture that would lead to. Bringing our top young guys to see a tournament like this (at least have them there for 7-10 days)..obviously any player still playing couldn't come, any CHL kids in the Memorial Cup..but they could practice and scrimmage on ice against the Men's squad.

I know we have a few of those kids playing this year, but something like that would lead to more of these top kids understanding this tournament and wanting to come and return as players when they turn pro. They get to hang out with professionals like Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Nelson, Werenski, etc..

I know it would be a big expense, but if they were able to pull it off, I truly believe it would lead to years of strong showings at the WC's. To me this would be amazing to see, the benefits would be massive...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
We're in tough here. Worst possible QF match up against the home team who is a capable opponent. The U.S. can win, but the defense and goaltending in particular will need to be buttoned up. I do like the fact our scoring has spread out. Nice to see guys like Caufield and Pinto accumulate points. Would be great to see a guy like Zegras have a statement game.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
We're in tough here. Worst possible QF match up against the home team who is a capable opponent. The U.S. can win, but the defense and goaltending in particular will need to be buttoned up. I do like the fact our scoring has spread out. Nice to see guys like Caufield and Pinto accumulate points. Would be great to see a guy like Zegras have a statement game.
Zegras is a big game player, proved it before in the gold medal game in Canada- if there is a player who could rise to the challenge, it would be him. If that 3rd line can get going, there isn't another country that can match the offensive depth we have..

Our defense imo has gotten stronger each game, stick to what they do best which is a quick transition game with tremendous skaters to help alleviate pressure. We can't be getting pinned in our own zone, we have a lot of young players and that is where trouble usually happens for us- especially with a hostile crowd that we will be experiencing. We have Hughes flipping from LD to RD at times and that can get confusing, we need to keep it simple stupid tomorrow.

Goaltending is always a question mark for this tournament. No different now. Lindgren was tossed right in after 3 weeks off and didn't look great but didn't look terrible either. I think I feel better with him in net honestly than Ned right now because he just seemed calmer in net and the goals he gave up only 1 I would say he could of had...

I can't state how much I appreciate Ned coming here, dude is a UFA and is risking injury, but also came here to positively help the team and further another contract...it matters to him, wish he performed better and the net was his, but I can't blame management for wanting to go with Lindgren who simply had a better year overall.

We f***ing have to stay out of the box. Absof***inglutely have to stay out of the box. Hope the swearing made that point more impactful lol. We cannot take lazy tripping penalties and pathetic cross checks to these guys, we will get torched. I believe the Czechia players won't be diving as much as Latvia was, but regardless, you know what the refs call here, stop putting yourself in these situations and just skate...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Glad to see the depth really start to materialize. We've got 7 guys over a point per game. But we need to make some changes in our bottom 6, they just don't feel dangerous enough at all. I would make the following tweak:

Farabee - Zegras - Brindley
Essymont - Hayes - Kunin

Brindley has been awesome, I think he deserves a promotion - he's the perfect type of guy who could really spark Zegras if we move him back to center. That 3rd line now feels like a scoring line again.

We got this. Team is finally starting to flex its depth muscles.

Look at how beefy our top 6F and top 4D are:

View attachment 874044
I think all 3 kids have looked good for stretches, I would prefer that they stick with 12 forwards and roll them continuously. I get rotating Brindley, Smith and Leonard up until this point, but tomorrow we should focus on lines staying together and only start flipping them if we can't generate snot.

I would rather see Smith in the lineup tomorrow over Brindley and Leonard because I want that 3rd line to get a spark going and he has looked best there IMO. Hayes isn't going to spark Zegras, he is a simple north south player who should stay on the 4th line tomorrow...Hayes has done his job here can't complain at all....

We will see what they do.

Reactions: Summer Rose

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think all 3 kids have looked good for stretches, I would prefer that they stick with 12 forwards and roll them continuously. I get rotating Brindley, Smith and Leonard up until this point, but tomorrow we should focus on lines staying together and only start flipping them if we can't generate snot.

I would rather see Smith in the lineup tomorrow over Brindley and Leonard because I want that 3rd line to get a spark going and he has looked best there IMO. Hayes isn't going to spark Zegras, he is a simple north south player who should stay on the 4th line tomorrow...Hayes has done his job here can't complain at all....

We will see what they do.
Smith has looked extremely dangerous at times, but I don't think he has the overall game to beat out Brindley for a spot in the bottom 6. I would prefer Smith over Kunin, but that's not happening.

I agree with you though - stop rotating that 13th forward in and just roll the top 12. Brindley's given a spark to the 4th line, I think he could do the same with the 3rd, he's got that great motor and has been awesome on the forecheck and getting to the net. His speed, motor, and IQ would compliment Zegras perfectly IMO.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Goaltending is always a question mark for this tournament. No different now. Lindgren was tossed right in after 3 weeks off and didn't look great but didn't look terrible either. I think I feel better with him in net honestly than Ned right now because he just seemed calmer in net and the goals he gave up only 1 I would say he could of had...

I can't state how much I appreciate Ned coming here, dude is a UFA and is risking injury, but also came here to positively help the team and further another contract...it matters to him, wish he performed better and the net was his, but I can't blame management for wanting to go with Lindgren who simply had a better year overall.
I'd like to start Augustine, honestly. He has clearly been our best goalie through the round robin - both Ned and Lindgren have looked shaky. But I doubt they'd go with the kid.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Smith has looked extremely dangerous at times, but I don't think he has the overall game to beat out Brindley for a spot in the bottom 6. I would prefer Smith over Kunin, but that's not happening.

I agree with you though - stop rotating that 13th forward in and just roll the top 12. Brindley's given a spark to the 4th line, I think he could do the same with the 3rd, he's got that great motor and has been awesome on the forecheck and getting to the net. His speed, motor, and IQ would compliment Zegras perfectly IMO.
Yeah, I am fine with whichever kid they play, just focus on 12, roll 4 consistent line and adjust if you have to if the team is getting outplayed.

For defense, I have no issue with the top 7 we have as Petry has value out there in a pk role..bigger frame, hasn't made many mistakes, more than fine with him playing a shut down role- which is funny considering that isn't what got him to the show in the first place lol. Kesselring however should be getting more ice time, for whatever the reason he seems to be the odd man out in pairs with Vlasic and Petry taking that lock down pair. I get it to some degree, but the kid is a spark out there, has a snipe and has generated offense..would like to see him out there in power play situations or just spelling Petry more often to generate more offense for us..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Lindgren and Will Smith were the only 2 players on the ice today prior to traveling.

I would assume it's Lindgren's net and Smith is just trying to get out there since he didn't play last game. But good to see a few guys go out on their own for some work.

Also the questions asked to Boldy..what is your favorite number and why? Boldy says "12 because I wear it" lmao!! Love this dude!!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Lindgren and Will Smith were the only 2 players on the ice today prior to traveling.

I would assume it's Lindgren's net and Smith is just trying to get out there since he didn't play last game. But good to see a few guys go out on their own for some work.

Also the questions asked to Boldy..what is your favorite number and why? Boldy says "12 because I wear it" lmao!! Love this dude!!
Justin Bieber? oof.

Reactions: AmericanDream

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Article...​

Johnny Gaudreau Has Found His Game At The World Championship​

He's been great. That whole top line has been. Though I don't know if he really ever "lost" his game and then all of the sudden "found it". It's just the difference of going from playing with great linemates to playing with nobody to again having actual talent around him.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He's been great. That whole top line has been. Though I don't know if he really ever "lost" his game and then all of the sudden "found it". It's just the difference of going from playing with great linemates to playing with nobody to again having actual talent around him.
I wonder if he regrets going to Columbus? Money's not everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad