Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Can’t argue with emotions can just make my a

First I want to point out, there is nothing logical about this, it’s all emotion driven, like people’s reason for wanting Edmonton to lose is because Gretzky and McD played there, so what?
Vancouver and New York at least get it, it doesn’t matter how many days.

Second, yes the number of kids needing to play is completely arbitrary. As is most of the argument.

Toronto, wpg, Edmonton bring up the idea of playing shimmy, that you can find kids just spending days at outdoor rinks. That the majority played. They may have never been good or mounted to much but they played.

Vs the criteria of they just have fans. They have professional leagu

A) I’m surprised Texas has so many rinks.

B) any reason that a person decides to cheer for a place is arbitrary not based on logic. Therefore, my answer is mostly emotional not logical.
A lot of people are cheering against Edmonton, because they got Gretzky and Mcdavid, so what?
A lot of people cheer for the jets because that’s where we are from. We are from Canada so taking the connection we have to the jets one step further we should root from any Canadian team.
All Canadian teams are underdogs. Have a smaller population, are not as rich have a harder time attracting fa then American teams.
Thinking that a team deserves a team because it’s cold and bitter, vs sunny, hot dessert is a silly argument, even though that’s the one I am making.
Growing up, peggers would play hockey whether we had the jets or not, I can’t imagine the same is true for Texans.

So what is your criteria? Any place big enough to have enough fans deserves a team?

My decision to cheer against the Oilers is entirely due to their fans and not the team. They take any chance to shit on Winnipeg they can get.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
My decision to cheer against the Oilers is entirely due to their fans and not the team. They take any chance to shit on Winnipeg they can get.
Is that because the rivalry between Canadian teams is stronger because we are more passionate?
I totally hate the other Canadian teams, except when they are playing American teams because then it feels David vs Goliath most of the time. ( few American examples making this point look foolish).

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Is that because the rivalry between Canadian teams is stronger because we are more passionate?
I totally hate the other Canadian teams, except when they are playing American teams because then it feels David vs Goliath most of the time. ( few American examples making this point look foolish).

No they dump on the city itself. Only we're allowed to do that.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

B) any reason that a person decides to cheer for a place is arbitrary not based on logic. Therefore, my answer is mostly emotional not logical.
A lot of people are cheering against Edmonton, because they got Gretzky and Mcdavid, so what?
A lot of people cheer for the jets because that’s where we are from. We are from Canada so taking the connection we have to the jets one step further we should root from any Canadian team.
All Canadian teams are underdogs. Have a smaller population, are not as rich have a harder time attracting fa then American teams.
Thinking that a team deserves a team because it’s cold and bitter, vs sunny, hot dessert is a silly argument, even though that’s the one I am making.
Growing up, peggers would play hockey whether we had the jets or not, I can’t imagine the same is true for Texans.

So what is your criteria? Any place big enough to have enough fans deserves a team?
Another well thought out, reasonable and logical post. Interestingly, I believe that I heard somewhere (don't take it as truth) that there are actually more minor hockey players in the states now than in Canada due to declining numbers up here and just their 10X population advantage...

That said, f*** Edmonton

Reactions: Adam da bomb

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Have said this in past years and will say again the only Canadian team that I want to win the SC is the Jets
giphy (9).gif

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Wouldn't it be 2 more wins for a total of 3?

200.gif

I should have defined a 100% effort as a linear relationship eg, 1 win (1.000), matching this years mightiness.

Let 1.000 = one win.
And so, if 2 x 1.000 = two wins, or 2.000, then:

I would suggest that 100% of 1 win is one win... and so, by extension, 200% of 1 win is two wins?

Lets inject some ethanol into the equation. If my grandmother drank 200% of my solitary can of beer, then she would have consumed roughly 2 beers. Not only that, but I'd be required to drive her back to her apartment on Henderson.

Back to serious hockey discussion:

q0vir.jpg

eg, if the Jets gave 100% effort (of what they garnered this year) next year, we could look forward to winning the first game, and then getting swept 4 games straight.

If *somehow* they could redouble their efforts, and slam down a 200% effort, then I would be looking for a 4 games to 2 game drubbing in the first round (by our faceless nameless adversary).

Now, even if we did manage 3 games won (a mighty coelacanth-friendly 300% effort), then we'd still lose in the first round.

200.webp

Conclusion: 200% or even a 300% (linear) effort increase by the Jets still results in a series loss. What we need is a 400% linear elevation of luck and skill for a playoff win.*

* assuming Helly's play does not vary in the playoffs from year to year.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Luc Labelle

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I wonder if there is any chance Tampa would trade Cernak..

I've never gotten the argument that because a place didn't organically have hockey that it's not a valid market.

Bad news bears, the US has more players in their system than Canada does for the first time and that will never go back. Registrations are declining in Canada and only surging in the US. Won't be long until they dominate the makeup of nhl rosters.

Non traditional markets like Tampa and Dallas have very strong amateur player pools and other marks are following suit.

People might as well accept it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffdog

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I've never gotten the argument that because a place didn't organically have hockey that it's not a valid market.

Bad news bears, the US has more players in their system than Canada does for the first time and that will never go back. Registrations are declining in Canada and only surfing in the US. Went be long until they dominate the makeup of nhl rosters.

Noon traditional markets like Tampa and Dallas have very strong amateur player pools and other marks are following suit.

People might as well accept it.
How about no! I’m sick of America dominating everything.

A feeling of superiority is the last refuge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad