Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 1, Avs lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Appleton plays on the shut down line vs other teams best. Other teams play their best a lot. That's why apples plays a lot. He also kills penalties

I have no idea what the org's or the media's narrative is. I don't pay attention to either

But I would say that some people need to stop taking Murat and Twitter users narratives as fact also

You're also ignoring Cole's wrist injury that may have impacted his usage. But hey, doesn't fit YOUR narrative, so that's cool

Edit:
Cole average 13:35 a game this year. Only had 6 games under 10 minutes, and 3 of those were 9:45 or more

For everyone clamoring about how Dallas deploys their youth, Stankoven averaged 14:40 per game
Ya Perfetti's injury would have definitely affected his usage, having said that Axle shouldn't be in the lineup over Perfetti.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've never once defended the PP or the PK. In fact, I've been vocal about the PP's lack of motion and it's inability to create shooting/passing lanes. I've also never once suggested any line combos or changes, but instead try to help people like you see what the org might see. Personally, IDGAF who plays with who

I have no idea why you've misrepresented my posts. I'm fine criticizing what needs criticizing. But then there are posters like you that do nothing but criticize, 24/7.

I just think that you don't like people disagreeing with you

I mean, I just said I appreciate the defensive responsibility he brought to the club. :laugh:.

I don't care if you disagree with me, but you don't get to pull back on all the attitude. The "shut up you clown, look at the standings" fans are in shambles right now.

Are we allowed to criticize yet?

Reactions: JetsFan815

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
They simply are not able to. The Avs have 4 players who are better than anything the Jets can put out there. 2 of those are in the top 5 of the league. We don't even have one guy in the top 20 for skaters. Star power makes a huge difference

In this case I dont think Scheif is the one who is wrong. Bones is a dinosaur from another era. He should be in a museum
Schief also ran PoMo off. He's becoming a coach killer

Bones may be a dinosaur but his brand of hockey earned rhe Jets 4th overall. Players not buying in to it at this time of year isn't his fault

For the record (so that @MardyBum doesn't accuse me of being a yes-man for the coach and org), I don't think that Bone's style of play is sustainable or the path to long term success with this group or any other. It relies too much on pure exertion, which is one thing in December when you're 30 games into the season but a totally different ask at this time of year when everyone is dinged up and exhausted. I'm convinced that it played a large part in the 2nd half collapse last season also

The comment from Stars players about hating playing that way even though it was a good way to win seem to back that up

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He had an amazing little stretch of games, but, I don't know if he just starts trying to overdo stuff? He overreaches, takes himself out of play, bad penalties etc.

Buff was a unicorn. I can be a lazy asshole for all winter and run 10k in an hour in the spring while getting into shape, but I can't run 10k in world record time, and he could just *be that guy* at the drop of a hat :laugh:. Elite NHL player then go fish drink beer and eat like shit. What a stud
Man i miss big Buff .

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I mean, I just said I appreciate the defensive responsibility he brought to the club. :laugh:.

I don't care if you disagree with me, but you don't get to pull back on all the attitude. The "shut up you clown, look at the standings" fans are in shambles right now.

Are we allowed to criticize yet?
Sure, but apply the criticism appropriately. The players are as much to blame for not executing as Bones is for his decisions

There only seems to be any criticism from some of you towards Connor and Bones. Your inability to even acknowledge that Cole's play was the major factor in him sliding down the line up is an example of that. I like that kid as much as the next guy (and Ehlers too for the record) but a spade is a spade

Reactions: Ggg99 and Jets 31

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Schief also ran PoMo off. He's becoming a coach killer

Bones may be a dinosaur but his brand of hockey earned rhe Jets 4th overall. Players not buying in to it at this time of year isn't his fault

For the record (so that @MardyBum doesn't accuse me of being a yes-man for the coach and org), I don't think that Bone's style of play is sustainable or the path to long term success with this group or any other. It relies too much on pure exertion, which is one thing in December when you're 30 games into the season but a totally different ask at this time of year when everyone is dinged up and exhausted. I'm convinced that it played a large part in the 2nd half collapse last season also

The comment from Stars players about hating playing that way even though it was a good way to win seem to back that up

Fwiw, I agree with you, but I think they could play a similar system with Bowness being less rigid. He's not making any noticeable changes, he's keeping the same PP, PK, all year when he has the option. Can you remember the last time a coach has said "Well when our guys are healthy the PP can be good". I LOVED the way they performed that system in November/December. It sucks because defense first is how a team without elite offensive stars can win

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Fwiw, I agree with you, but I think they could play a similar system with Bowness being less rigid. He's not making any noticeable changes, he's keeping the same PP, PK, all year when he has the option. Can you remember the last time a coach has said "Well when our guys are healthy the PP can be good". I LOVED the way they performed that system in November/December. It sucks because defense first is how a team without elite offensive stars can win
Yeah, the special teams are a headscratcher

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sure, but apply the criticism appropriately. The players are as much to blame for not executing as Bones is for his decisions

There only seems to be any criticism from some of you towards Connor and Bones. Your inability to even acknowledge that Cole's play was the major factor in him sliding down the line up is an example of that. I like that kid as much as the next guy (and Ehlers too for the record) but a spade is a spade

I agree, I'm not excusing the players. But all they can do is play. They don't decide the PP which has been bad, the PK, which has killed them. Connor has been good this series? Kyle Connor I mean. He's just 1 guy and every line is being outplayed, every d pairing. The Jets look like the Sharks on the ice right now :laugh:.

Cole slid down the lineup because the entire team went cold and he is in the same spot as he is now, a player who needs to prove more than others to stay in. Go back, look at the games, the scores, the struggle. Everyone at 5v5. Who did Bones call out? Ehlers and Perfetti, publicly. While everyone was struggling. Everyone. I pointed out those Lowry and Iafallo struggles, nothing on them. Monahan or Vilardi or Connor score only on the PP? A-okay they're not struggling.

He went into the playoffs with a 2 goal game after being scratched again and they played f***ing Axel over him.

Axel.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I agree, I'm not excusing the players. But all they can do is play. They don't decide the PP which has been bad, the PK, which has killed them. Connor has been good this series? Kyle Connor I mean. He's just 1 guy and every line is being outplayed, every d pairing. The Jets look like the Sharks on the ice right now :laugh:.

Cole slid down the lineup because the entire team went cold and he is in the same spot as he is now, a player who needs to prove more than others to stay in. Go back, look at the games, the scores, the struggle. Everyone at 5v5. Who did Bones call out? Ehlers and Perfetti, publicly. While everyone was struggling. Everyone. I pointed out those Lowry and Iafallo struggles, nothing on them. Monahan or Vilardi or Connor score only on the PP? A-okay they're not struggling.

He went into the playoffs with a 2 goal game after being scratched again and they played f***ing Axel over him.

Axel.
Just so you know, I'd have run this to start the series:

Ehlers Schief Vilardi
Connor Monahan Perfetti
Nino Lowry Apples
Iafallo Names Toffoli

If Barron were healthy, I'm not sure what I would have done

But I'm pragmatic and understand that the org doesn't want to demote a 35 goal scorer acquired at the deadline because of the message it sends other players in the league for future deadline deals.

So while I certainly don't agree with all the decisions the org and the coaching staff make, I think the difference is that I at least understand why they might make them. And that's all I've ever tried to get across on here

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
he should have also mentioned that nino also said we needed to make adjustments, this is now going to be made into a scheifele vs coach thing

So why the heck does he still have a job if he's going rogue from what his boss wants.

What is with this org and having very little in alignment from management down. Everyone is doing their own thing, is it any wonder a good many of our players do as well....

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I had really hoped Stanley turned into a decent defenseman but i don't think that's happening,Stanley is just not a good enough skater and ends up taking too many penalties because of it. That was the great thing about Buff , big guy but he was a great skater.
Stanley should never be mentioned in the same conversation as Buff period.
He’s a terrible defender.
I hope he’s gone so that the organization isn’t tempted to use him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Shouldn’t the leadership group standup and try to influence a coach that has totally lost any idea of what needs to be done to make this a competitive series?

They should and this is likely a multiple game issue now which is why it went public as the season is slipping away.

Reactions: KingBogo

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
he should have also mentioned that nino also said we needed to make adjustments, this is now going to be made into a scheifele vs coach thing

Yeah I agree this whole Scheifele vs the coach thing is being blown way out of proportion.

That being said, I don’t disagree that Chevy and Bones don’t appear to have the same idea of how the team should look like. Unless we miraculously come back in this series and go on a run (which is a long shot here), I would be surprised to see bones back behind the bench with the Jets next year.

I think Chevy put together a roster that can win with a certain approach. Bones’ approach may work with some rosters but not necessarily ours. Given that we don’t have a mackinnon or rantanen on our first line, our 4th line has to have an ability to score more than most 4th lines — yet we are keeping Perfetti in the press box. Bones wants this “top line, secondary scoring line, checking line, and defensive line” at all cost, instead of the more modern approach of icing the most talented four lines as possible. Scheifele and Nino aren’t wrong about the lack of adjustments - a lot has gone wrong for many games in a row with little to no change at all in the approach/philosophy. At least in the season bones occasionally tried different line combos (which actually made our team better interestingly enough in some of those cases). He stuck to the predictable line up we knew he’d go with, and it failed miserably. Now bones says he’ll make adjustments when we’re down 3-1 with absolutely zero margin for error. This isn’t a situation where we need to win 3 out of 5 games or 2 out of 3. We literally need 3 in a row. It has been frustrating to watch him stay stubborn in the face of something that just wasn’t working. Even if you look at the last 6 games of the regular season where we win 6 in a row, that followed 6 straight losses. So that 12 game sample is 500 hockey, which is consistent with the late-January-onward play of this team. To say “well if they play the way they did in those last 6 games we will win” isn’t a good measuring stick. Every ~500 team will look like that: they look good approximately half the time, as there is a lot of parity in this league.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Stanley should never be mentioned in the same conversation as Buff period.
He’s a terrible defender.
I hope he’s gone so that the organization isn’t tempted to use him.

I’m surprised that we are ok experimenting with Stanley in playoff games, especially after he had a bad first couple of games with Miller as an option, but we’re not ok experimenting with Perfetti (who, let’s be candid, will likely be a legit top-6 fwd for us by potentially as early as next season).

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Have we seen this movie with Scheifele before

Except I think that the majority of Jets fans are actually in agreement with Scheifele (and Nino)’s comments this time though.

Also, Scheifele has played well this season and I don’t see him as being the problem that needs fixing during this series either. He’s played well enough and done what he could. I think Scheifele is super competitive and wants to win (I genuinely think that), and I think he’s seeing what a lot of us are seeing in terms of roster decisions, like combos, strategy that hasn’t worked at all with no adjustments made until potentially game 5 and the series 3-1. It’s not to say that the players can’t be better - they obviously can - but there has been no coaching adjustments at all and we’re 4 bad games in now.

On the Perfetti thing, it’s unfortunate that he was injured last year and missed the entirety of the playoff series. And now that is followed by (as of now) no playoff experience again. And this is our future top-6 forward — I think that’s maybe part of what Friedman was saying too about the disconnect between Chevy and Bones.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Except I think that the majority of Jets fans are actually in agreement with Scheifele (and Nino)’s comments this time though.

Also, Scheifele has played well this season and I don’t see him as being the problem that needs fixing during this series either. He’s played well enough and done what he could. I think Scheifele is super competitive and wants to win (I genuinely think that), and I think he’s seeing what a lot of us are seeing in terms of roster decisions, like combos, strategy that hasn’t worked at all with no adjustments made until potentially game 5 and the series 3-1. It’s not to say that the players can’t be better - they obviously can - but there has been no coaching adjustments at all and we’re 4 bad games in now.

On the Perfetti thing, it’s unfortunate that he was injured last year and missed the entirety of the playoff series. And now that is followed by (as of now) no playoff experience again. And this is our future top-6 forward — I think that’s maybe part of what Friedman was saying too about the disconnect between Chevy and Bones.
Except schief is not a #1 on a contender and if he’s your top centre you will lose.

Reactions: Channelcat

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Ehlers has 4 goals in 36 playoff games, 2 were in one game.
Maybe we should play like game 1 and turn it into a run and gun shooting gallery 5 on 5. Couldn't do any worse.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Careful voicing the smallish defense and soft players comment, I voiced those concerns when they were doing a bit better during the regular season and got a strip torn out of me, you know who you are lol. The responses ranged from other teams say we are big and tough to play against, etc so you don't know what you're talking about.... Well where is that team in this series.

In reality, a lot of it is match-ups. We don't match up well with the AVs and this core group is more finesse hockey than dump, chase and win puck battles. The group that grinds it out can't seem to translate it into scoring and the finesse group doesn't win any puck battles and spends most of their shift in our zone chasing the play. Our top players are not at the same level as the AV's and we are being exposed.
I voiced my concern during the regular season and suffered the same fate as you. Fans tend to look at wins and losses but vets look at the game within the game. Brutal series, definitely exposed as frauds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad