Can Jack Hughes become the second best player behind Connor McDavid?

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I don't want to be that guy but the entire point of the thread was "can Jack Hughes become the 2nd best player behind McDavid"? Not is he currently the 2nd best player?

My opinion on this question remains the same, sure he could become the 2nd best player but it's unlikely with the level of talent he'd have to surpass to do it.

Of course there is that section with people getting way too excited about his hot start and the subsequent disrespect directed at certain players.

I don't doubt he has the talent, but his durability is very suspect at this point.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jack is a great player. One of a half dozen to a dozen great players. Hard to put them in any firm order. If drafting today McDavid goes 1. After that who knows. Jack could be 2 or 12 if healthy. I do know he is a fun guy to watch play. The sport needs more entertaining players.

IMO he hasn't done enough to be chosen over the likes of Matthews, Draisaitl, MackInnon, Makar etc. Even at full health, he hasn't outperformed any of them or surpassed their accomplishments.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Aside from the out of date nature of this thread where does it say in the title or OP that Hughes is currently the second best player in hockey? The question is whether he could rise to that level someday. Saying some player five or six years older than him is better right now isn’t the issue.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
IMO he hasn't done enough to be chosen over the likes of Matthews, Draisaitl, MackInnon, Makar etc. Even at full health, he hasn't outperformed any of them or surpassed their accomplishments.
I agree at this point in time.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
He’s on Taylor Hall’s production schedule at this point, so let’s maybe just give him some time before ordaining him.

Hughes: 306 GP, 286 P (114 G)

Hall: 299 GP, 263 P (106 G)

I think he’s the better player, but talking about #2 behind McDavid seems pretty optimistic.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He’s on Taylor Hall’s production schedule at this point, so let’s maybe just give him some time before ordaining him.

Hughes: 306 GP, 286 P (114 G)

Hall: 299 GP, 263 P (106 G)

I think he’s the better player, but talking about #2 behind McDavid seems pretty optimistic.

Then consider that it was harder to score when Hall was younger and their production is that much closer...

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Then consider that it was harder to score when Hall was younger and their production is that much closer...
Way more important to consider that Hughes was a 40 point player his first 2 years. He has 229 points in 189 games over the last 3 seasons. Hall was around a 60 point per player his first 2 years then a point per game per game player in his 3rd and 4th seasons but after that he’s been a 60-70 point player every year apart from his MVP season and the season after.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Going -6 Against Dallas... Until he learns to become an above avg defender I'm going to have to go with a nope.
Using plus/minus in a six game sample size to determine defensive ability is some of the laziest "analysis" I've ever seen.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Way more important to consider that Hughes was a 40 point player his first 2 years. He has 229 points in 189 games over the last 3 seasons. Hall was around a 60 point per player his first 2 years then a point per game per game player in his 3rd and 4th seasons but after that he’s been a 60-70 point player every year apart from his MVP season and the season after.

Yeah, my point with the Hall comparison (as a fellow 1 pick) is that the range of what he might become is still very wide. He could be the second best player in the league or he could follow more of a Hall trajectory, where the stars align and he has one amazing season but otherwise stays in the tier of very good.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yeah, my point with the Hall comparison (as a fellow 1 pick) is that the range of what he might become is still very wide. He could be the second best player in the league or he could follow more of a Hall trajectory, where the stars align and he has one amazing season but otherwise stays in the tier of very good.

Not a great comparison at all. For an elite player, as Hall once was for a season or two, he never had great hockey sense or made linemates better.

Ducks4Cup

Jun 14, 2022
I’m concerned about his durability. It’s pretty rare for a guy his size to drag a team through 4 rounds

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Not a great comparison at all. For an elite player, as Hall once was for a season or two, he never had great hockey sense or made linemates better.

Comparison is about overall trajectory, not the details of how they produce.

History judges goals and points and championships, it doesn’t care how they come about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad