Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
That's why we actually watch games instead of staring at a piece of paper to draw conclusions, if you watched you would've realized several things

Elite defensively
Elite PKer
Elite forechecker
Wins puck battles/Puck retrieval
Always competes at his highest level
Could take faceoffs
Very high hockey IQ, hence the success with McDavid

Most of us acknowledged this. The beef everyone had was with the term of his contract not the $ amount.

It's funny that this never applies to the core...

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
That's why we actually watch games instead of staring at a piece of paper to draw conclusions, if you watched you would've realized several things

Elite defensively
Elite PKer
Elite forechecker
Wins puck battles/Puck retrieval
Always competes at his highest level
Could take faceoffs
Very high hockey IQ, hence the success with McDavid

Most of us acknowledged this. The beef everyone had was with the term of his contract not the $ amount.
Absolutely.

Any team that has no space for Hyman needs to look hard at themselves.

So glad he’s finding success elsewhere.

When Marner is moved we’ll have space for other good players.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Some people seem to be confused about the difference between 'playing tough' and 'punching people'.
I think it's more that people are confused about what "playing tough" actually means. It doesn't mean you need a bunch of Edmundsons plodding around your own zone. It means that your really good players have an ability to push through heavier intensity from the opposition.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
His first mistake would be to think Leafs fans are "normies".

How many of those engineers and scientists and IT people would praise themselves for their communication skills lmao?

Thats fair. I just took it as a sell job so to speak to show something like "have faith in me"; I didn't think it was a "I am the BEST guy ever" :laugh:

Reactions: Cleetus

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
His 82 game pace was 34 and 29 his last two years here. That was a clear step up from his previous years.
Was just going to post that. He wasn’t scoring here is hilarious bias personified. Nobody that wanted to keep him expected a 50 goal campaign, was quite happy with a 30 goal guy that kills PK’s, wins board battles and works his ass off. Yes please.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Was just going to post that. He wasn’t scoring here is hilarious bias personified. Nobody that wanted to keep him expected a 50 goal campaign, was quite happy with a 30 goal guy that kills PK’s, wins board battles and works his ass off. Yes please.
Also we all know, there's no chance in hell he scores 50 here, or even 40, he just fits much better on Edmonton, mainly McDavid. Perfect chemistry.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
LMAO just got home thought I'd check twitter to see if anything interesting is trending and the trends on my feed is HILARIOUS! (ignore the politics crap)

1716327219008.png

• Wow
Reactions: Cleetus

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I love his attitude at this press conference.

With all due respect to Keefe, I don't want to hear any iteration of "respect in the handshake line" ever again. I want grumpiness after a loss and anger if certain individuals aren't performing.

He said the right things and I think he will be a fan favorite . I'd say I like the guy so far.

But talk is also cheap, and he will need to deliver the results we need sooner than later

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Imagine this guy comes in and says yeah I took the job but I demanded the core 4 gets broken up.
would have been amazing. Or shows up to first team meeting with some therapy dogs. Players think everything will be the same and they are about to spend 4 hours discussing their feelings. But Berube actually showed up with reverse-therapy dogs. That bark at people and chase them.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No offense but this line of thinking Ive seen in here is absurd. I guess if we just leave his 11+ milly in the bank and dont use it at all but even then I say we make the playoffs and in the playoffs we will not miss marner.

Precisely the kind of thinking I want the leafs management (including coaching staff) to have.

Are the Leafs going to miss the playoffs if Marner is traded?
Answer: NO!

Are the Leafs going to make the second round and potentially go deeper (heck even win the cup) if Marner's cap is allocated elsewhere?
Answer: Much higher probability than remaining status-quo. Eight years of evidence. AND Marner doesn't play heavy hockey

Its about the TEAM and TEAM MUST COME FIRST!

At the presser after the exit interviews I think there was a quote that said something along the lines of... " We want to win. We are not here to sell jerseys"

Ok SHOW IT THEN!

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Pelley seems like the biggest weasel possible. Can't believe this is ownerships "guy". Well actually I guess I can because theyre awful at running this org.

Should.be clear as day that he's strictly a business ops guy, and isn't going to touch any further lineup/front office decisions with a ten foot pole unless given marching orders.from the board.

The future of the core is down to what Shanny and Tre want this summer

Sep 18, 2009
Should.be clear as day that he's strictly a business ops guy, and isn't going to touch any further lineup/front office decisions with a ten foot pole unless given marching orders.from the board.

The future of the core is down to what Shanny and Tre want this summer
SHanny the guy who has done nothing and Tre who ran calgary into the ground

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Berube alluded to the fact that he's already started to see the change in culture and team play that he wants to implement based on the players Treliving has brought in.

Here's the Players Trelivng has brought in:

Tyler Bertuzzi
Max Domi
Simon Benoit
Ryan Reaves
Noah Gregor
Joel Edmundson
Connor Dewar

Outside of John Klingberg, there's clearly a type of player Tre likes. It's only gonna get enhanced with Berube here
I agree, however to bring grittier skilled players in 2 or 3 of the soft skilled players have to leave. The salary cap is a thing.

That’s different bc when Babs coached, the guys were young and coming up. And Babs did played the possession style like Keefe.
Babs wanted to move the puck as quick as possible out of the Dzone, hence, we kept complaining about the stretch pass, lol.
Also, the belief was that the kids-AM, MM, Willie, Kadri, Hyman, Brown, Kap and AJ are all going to shape into players with high compete and high skill.
Then Marleau happened and derailed everything.

JT was the icing on the cake as everyone thought the kids can learn lessons from him but it ends up JT was the one learning lessons.
There's the first mistake of many.

Reactions: Gabriel426

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Coaching Philosophies with Craig Berube | Real Kyper & Bourne Clips

SPORTSNET

May 21, 2024

Nick Kypreos and Justin Bourne are joined by Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Craig Berube, who discusses his job priorities and overall coaching philosophy.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Some people seem to be confused about the difference between 'playing tough' and 'punching people'.

If it ain't in the bullshit per 60 stats or expected BS per 60 stat it doesn't compute

:sarcasm:

LMAO

:laugh:

Playing tough isn't about face punching its about
- puck battles
- board battles
- winning 50-50 pucks
- relentless forechecking and perseverance
- tenacious and persistent back checking
- taking bodies instead of just pokechecking like a moron
- getting in the lanes for opposition to find longer path into our zone (means you gotta skate and don't remain standing watching the puck carrier like a MORON)
- I could go on and on and on and on and on....

Is basic hickey that needs to be done again and again and again and again and again until it just becomes part of your nature and habit so you don't even think about it when doing it. Its like riding a bike really...

It is frustrating that some people equate that to face punching. Its really frustrating engaging in any kind of dialogue with these folks man

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Kreider
Trochek
Laff
Cuylle
Goodrow
Vesey
Lindgren
Fox
Toruba
Miller
Schneider

They are all either physical and/or extremely feisty players. Not to mention they've have also been rotating in Matt Rempe

Also, "panthers arent the most physical" team, doesn't change the fact that you said there's no team left in the playoffs that play a physical way. You're changing the goalposts.

Panthers are one of the most physical and feistiest teams In the league, everyone knows that. Im done arguing this with you
Wow. You finally clued in you were arguing with a woke Dubist who hates that hockey games are best won by individuals who tend to exhibit "toxic" masculinity?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If it ain't in the bullshit per 60 stats or expected BS per 60 stat it doesn't compute

:sarcasm:

LMAO

:laugh:

Playing tough isn't about face punching its about
- puck battles
- board battles
- winning 50-50 pucks
- relentless forechecking and perseverance
- tenacious and persistent back checking
- taking bodies instead of just pokechecking like a moron
- getting in the lanes for opposition to find longer path into our zone (means you gotta skate and don't remain standing watching the puck carrier like a MORON)
- I could go on and on and on and on and on....

Is basic hickey that needs to be done again and again and again and again and again until it just becomes part of your nature and habit so you don't even think about it when doing it. Its like riding a bike really...

It is frustrating that some people equate that to face punching. Its really frustrating engaging in any kind of dialogue with these folks man

If this is the definition, why do people call Matthews soft?

Why do people call Domi tough when he does all those things less than Matthews?

I think someone is changing their definition of toughness just for this single post.

Also, please go "on and on and on and on and on", you've described most hockey players in your post, and I fail to see a differentiating factor that makes all these new signings tough.

Very relevant to his time in Toronto... thank you.

Dishonest like usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad