Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Tanev...34 yrs old, has played 82 games once, rarely plays over 60. I get it, he's a warrior. But his next contract will age horribly and quickly (and he won't be taking a 2 yr deal).

Staios needs to target younger RD and attempt to aquire them in a trade. Chychrun for Andersson (before July 1st when his M-NTC kicks in), pick(s) to Tampa for Darren Raddysh (the Lightning don't pick until the 5th round this year).

Sanderson - Andersson
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Raddysh
Hamonic/JBD

It's not sexy, but it's better and more balanced and gives the team 3 pairings that can make an outlet pass and take some heat off Korpi (unless he gets dealt to LAK for PLD...ugh 🤢).

I would love to get great players who are the optimal and perfect fit, and near the top of our possible dream acquisitions, but it rarely works out that way.

I can't see Calgary making Andersson available and I doubt we'd have the assets to get him.

I could see someone like Marino, if New Jersey decides to move a RD with how many they have in the system and how active they usually are in free agency. That's a really big pickup but I wouldn't call him a superstar who is unattainable. NJD has to probably move a D, and we were apparently in on Marino previously. If Ryan Bowness who came over from PIT was the reason we were in on him, he is still here.

I would also like to see us go after Kevin Bahl. Good ol' 67s boy who is big.

Reactions: Bileur

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Tanev...34 yrs old, has played 82 games once, rarely plays over 60. I get it, he's a warrior. But his next contract will age horribly and quickly (and he won't be taking a 2 yr deal).

Staios needs to target younger RD and attempt to aquire them in a trade. Chychrun for Andersson (before July 1st when his M-NTC kicks in), pick(s) to Tampa for Darren Raddysh (the Lightning don't pick until the 5th round this year).

Sanderson - Andersson
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Raddysh
Hamonic/JBD

It's not sexy, but it's better and more balanced and gives the team 3 pairings that can make an outlet pass and take some heat off Korpi (unless he gets dealt to LAK for PLD...ugh 🤢).
If you want young rhd you're trading with the Habs and giving up Batherson. And if that got you Guhle for ex. I'd definitely consider it. Just need to throw up first...

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
I would love to get great players who are the optimal and perfect fit, and near the top of our possible dream acquisitions, but it rarely works out that way.

I can't see Calgary making Andersson available and I doubt we'd have the assets to get him.

I could see someone like Marino, if New Jersey decides to move a RD with how many they have in the system and how active they usually are in free agency. That's a really big pickup but I wouldn't call him a superstar who is unattainable. NJD has to probably move a D, and we were apparently in on Marino previously. If Ryan Bowness who came over from PIT was the reason we were in on him, he is still here.

I would also like to see us go after Kevin Bahl. Good ol' 67s boy who is big.
Why will NJ "probably move a D"? They have no notable UFA's (or even RFA's) this year and have loads of cap space. Their D in the minors are not knocking the doors down for a spot and their contracts aren't up.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Why will NJ "probably move a D"? They have no notable UFA's (or even RFA's) this year and have loads of cap space. Their D in the minors are not knocking the doors down for a spot and their contracts aren't up.

It's more that they have five top 4 defenders, and could leverage that in a trade to fill a need elsewhere.

They have Hamilton, Hughes, Marino, Nemac, and Sieganthaler.

Particularly, four of those are RHD. Which is a good problem to have, but it's still an issue balance wise.

They also don't have that much cap flexibility. On paper, they have 18M - but they have to sign either a decent goalie or Kahkonen. That's 3M-5M, depending on who they sign. Then a few million goes to filling out the roster. They are probably left with 10-12 million. That's a nice cushion, but it's not the kind of cap flexibility that precludes a team from possibly making hockey trades from a position of strength.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Guhle is left handed and untouchable.
I thought he was a RHD. Who are their notable rhd?

So would you trade Chabot and sign Zadorov for 6x6? How badly would we regret that? I've been contemplating it for too long, someone talk me out of it.

Last edited:

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
It's more that they have five top 4 defenders, and could leverage that in a trade to fill a need elsewhere.

They have Hamilton, Hughes, Marino, Nemac, and Sieganthaler.

Particularly, four of those are RHD. Which is a good problem to have, but it's still an issue balance wise.

They also don't have that much cap flexibility. On paper, they have 18M - but they have to sign either a decent goalie or Kahkonen. That's 3M-5M, depending on who they sign. Then a few million goes to filling out the roster. They are probably left with 10-12 million. That's a nice cushion, but it's not the kind of cap flexibility that precludes a team from possibly making hockey trades from a position of strength.
Fair points.

Does Hamilton's injury this past season cause them to pause on moving anyone though? And if they do move a RD it would likely be for an established starting goalie before anything else ... something the Sens are in short supply of.

Maybe as part of a 3 way trade? Chychrun to ???, goalie to NJD, RD to Sens?

I'd rather Staios target Andersson for picks +, and move Chychrun to Winnipeg for some combo of Bauer, Barron, Milic, and pick(s)

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa

Dunno about that D core. Would like Debrusk or Bertuzzi for 2LW.

It's got size and some ability. Still wouldn't mind moving Kasty but Garret Hathoway is that kind of 4th line banger we need. I think Zub is gone if we get Tanev, as it's more of the same and we still need a big RHD whose physical.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
For some reason the headline isn't appearing, but this is it:

Buffalo Sabres Need to Be All in on Brady Tkachuk​

Most bizarre article yet. I guess anyone can be a 'sports reporter' now?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

It's the hockey writers. Anyone can write for it. It's like trying to pick up a girl at Crazy Horse by representing your HFBoards posts as you working for the Senators front office.

• Haha
Reactions: slamigo and armani

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m not disagreeing with you, it’s just a feeling. I think Staios is dead set on Tanev, and I think he may go after Roy, Pesce.
He isn't that type of risk taker. This will be methodical. People expecting massive sweeping changes are gonna be djssapointed.

Sanderson - Andersson
Chabot - Zub
Kleven - Raddysh
Hamonic/JBD

This fantasy sounds amazing. Chychrun for Anderson.. come on man.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Lol at trading Zub, so we can sign two expensive RHD.

Why would they move Zub to get Tanev and Roy for example? Just get Roy (if you can) and keep Zub who is going to a fair bit better, and cheaper, than Tanev for the next X amount of years. We need another player like Zub, not less.

BradyTkachucky

Jul 31, 2005
Ottawa
It's the hockey writers. Anyone can write for it. It's like trying to pick up a girl at Crazy Horse by representing your HFBoards posts as you working for the Senators front office.
1716284341955.png

That's too easy to turn down smh

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Brady is making some waves the the Worlds, so of course the "I needs content!" style of writers automatically start making articles about him.

Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
A few teams eying Brady lately. I guess we should take it as a compliment. I dont see any similar fantasy posts about Sandy yet. Maybe the difference is that there havent been any traumatized sens fans terrified that Brady wont love us anymore if we arent winning and so will ask for a trade. I guess if we want to bask in the envy of other teams fans wanting Sandy too, someone should start a thread fearful that he may leave us as well?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
+12 prior to the injury in December, -16 after returning. Not a great indicator of anything, I know. However, he was saddled with Kubalick for most of the season and I don't think that helps anyone's stats.
At least we gain about $2.5M cap space by letting Kubalic walk as a UFA. That's a net gain for next season.

IMO Ostapchuk is that player, he is almost as fast as Joseph, but he hits, block shots, wins board battles, can play centre or LW, takes draws & is bigger & tougher & will drop the gloves.

The y would gain about $3 mil which could either go towards a raise for Pinto or towards a better UFA pt producer. While we would like them to make a number of moves it's quite possible that they will only be able to make a couple of moves & still be subject to the salary cap.

For example, I doubt they move both Chabot & Chychrun as some are proposing, it's much more likely that it will be Chychrun only & maybe Brannstrom on defence & Forsdberg in net that could be moved out. They likely don't re-sign Kubalik & maybe Katchouk & together they add up to about $10 mil to work with. Adding Kleven & Ostapchuk will cost less than $2 mil leaving about $8 mil plus to make one or two impactful moves for a top 4 RD.
I like the idea of replacing Katchouk with Ostapchuk; however, I would retain Joseph.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
A few teams eying Brady lately. I guess we should take it as a compliment. I dont see any similar fantasy posts about Sandy yet. Maybe the difference is that there havent been any traumatized sens fans terrified that Brady wont love us anymore if we arent winning and so will ask for a trade. I guess if we want to bask in the envy of other teams fans wanting Sandy too, someone should start a thread fearful that he may leave us as well?

Those weren't trade rumors.

Hockey Writers isn't a professional publication. It's no different than writing a post on HFBoards. It's by volunteer fan writers.

There have been rumors via Spitting Chiclets about a possible Brady trade, but they are hardly an A+ source.

There have been no rumors via any top insiders. Friedman has said something like another losing season has tested the relationships in Ottawa even further. But that is the closest we heard, and it's just vague obvious stuff.

I personally believe Brady is gone within a year if we do not win. No player, let alone a Tkachuk is going to stay after 8+ years of losing and chaos with no end in sight. His NMC kicks in on July 1st 2025. That is leverage to get a trade before that time because if he decides he wants out, the Senators won't want to tell him "wait and see how the 2025 season goes" because they would lose all trade leverage if he can choose his destination.

The only way I see him moved this off season is if he has already asked out or hinted he would be open to a move and they get an incredible offer that they cannot refuse. Otherwise, I doubt he is moved this off season.

Reactions: BigRig4

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Those weren't trade rumors.

Hockey Writers isn't a professional publication. It's no different than writing a post on HFBoards. It's by volunteer fan writers.

There have been rumors via Spitting Chiclets about a possible Brady trade, but they are hardly an A+ source.

There have been no rumors via any top insiders. Friedman has said something like another losing season has tested the relationships in Ottawa even further. But that is the closest we heard, and it's just vague obvious stuff.

I personally believe Brady is gone within a year if we do not win. No player, let alone a Tkachuk is going to stay after 8+ years of losing and chaos with no end in sight. His NMC kicks in on July 1st 2025. That is leverage to get a trade before that time because if he decides he wants out, the Senators won't want to tell him "wait and see how the 2025 season goes" because they would lose all trade leverage if he can choose his destination.

The only way I see him moved this off season is if he has already asked out or hinted he would be open to a move and they get an incredible offer that they cannot refuse. Otherwise, I doubt he is moved this off season.
I 100% see the logic of the NMC timing and all, but I'm pretty sure you're single handidly responsible for kicking up all the dust about a chuckles trade given this is like the 89th time you've mentioned it, lol.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Let's offer sheet Silovs, lul
That actually wouldn't be a bad idea except I don't think he is eligible to sign one - he needs one more pro season. (IIRC he is in the same boat Pinto was last summer.) The Canucks are going to be able to squeeze him for one more season at basically league minimum, but next summer he is going to get paid one way or another...

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

If we can get Kase on a cheap deal, a one year 900k-$1 million type deal, it could provide great value. It'd be a "prove it" contract for a guy that's recovering for health issues that could work on our 4th line and if he plays well enough can end up on the 3rd line. If the concussion issues come back, there's not too much money lost.

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I 100% see the logic of the NMC timing and all, but I'm pretty sure you're single handidly responsible for kicking up all the dust about a chuckles trade given this is like the 89th time you've mentioned it, lol.

I mention it when it comes up. It's a relevant topic. It would be like getting upset when Chychrun is traded because people speculated about it on HFBoards.

If me somehow mentioning it on a dying message board in 2024 in response to other stories it is relevant to getting brought up somehow results in him getting traded when he otherwise wouldn't, then I must be a lot more influential than I ever perceived.

Now I can see why Loach hates me so much.

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea except I don't think he is eligible to sign one - he needs one more pro season. (IIRC he is in the same boat Pinto was last summer.) The Canucks are going to be able to squeeze him for one more season at basically league minimum, but next summer he is going to get paid one way or another...
What was the projection for him before these playoffs?

He was good but he wasn't great. If anything, they might want to consider selling high on him if these playoffs lead other GMs to believe he is better than he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad