RD Maxim Strbak - Michigan State Univ, NCAA (2023, 45th, BUF)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Strbak is pretty good but he's not a better prospect than Pellikka.

Pellikka has a higher upside but I think Strbak is a better bet to find a regular spot in the NHL.

I'd draft ASP first because I value upside over projectability into lower level roles at the NHL.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Pellikka has a higher upside but I think Strbak is a better bet to find a regular spot in the NHL.

I'd draft ASP first because I value upside over projectability into lower level roles at the NHL.
If I were drafting defenseman in 1st 2 rounds would want certain level of confidence he plays in my top 4 with legit possibility of top pair. Just making nhl wouldn’t be enough to yield value. But does ASP Really meet that test more than Strbak?

I acknowledge my viewings of these guys is limited to WJC pre and tourney games. But ASP doesn’t impress me. Small guy (looks smaller by than listed) with some skill but not elite. Exactly the kind of guy who draftniks love that seems to have hard time sticking in lineup. honka or brannstrom type. Strbak may have slightly less skill, but he has nhl frame and can easily project to play all situations. Could see him becoming Ryan pulock type of top pair all situations defenseman.

so is his upside lower? If you think ASP has legit chance to become EK65 maybe, but I just don’t see him as that game breaker from my admittedly limited viewings. I think strbak has much better chance at becoming top 4 guy and still slightly better chance at becoming top pair d as well.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
so is his upside lower? If you think ASP has legit chance to become EK65 maybe, but I just don’t see him as that game breaker from my admittedly limited viewings. I think strbak has much better chance at becoming top 4 guy and still slightly better chance at becoming top pair d as well.
Not to turn this into an ASP thread, but I think we can acknowledge there are plenty of outcomes in-between the best defenseman of his generation and a solid top 4 defenseman. I don't know how someone couldn't be impressed by what ASP has done so far. I know Sweden is missing guys but to be running PP1 as a 17 year old tells you something about the talent level - handling, passing, short area skating, etc. Strbak looks like a solid prospect and maybe he does have legit top 4 potential, but there is also a possibility he is much less than that because he lacks some of the dynamic qualities ASP has. If you believe in statistical profiles translating to NHL success, one player has much better odds than the other.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not to turn this into an ASP thread, but I think we can acknowledge there are plenty of outcomes in-between the best defenseman of his generation and a solid top 4 defenseman. I don't know how someone couldn't be impressed by what ASP has done so far. I know Sweden is missing guys but to be running PP1 as a 17 year old tells you something about the talent level - handling, passing, short area skating, etc. Strbak looks like a solid prospect and maybe he does have legit top 4 potential, but there is also a possibility he is much less than that because he lacks some of the dynamic qualities ASP has. If you believe in statistical profiles translating to NHL success, one player has much better odds than the other.
Question that I would pose is how many defensemen under 6’ and under 200lbs play in top 4 on contenders? The few who do tend to be special players (Makar, fox, ek65 and Krug recently before their teams declined). Very few who are just solid top 4 guys on top teams. Because you need to be able to rely on guys in all situations and you don’t really want Calle Rosen or Brad hunt playing 22 minutes a night. Margin is super thin, as blues are seeing with Krug this year. So if guy like ASP doesn’t reach that level, and I am dubious he will, then what are you really getting? With guy like Strbak, you have much broader range of favorable (at least top 4D) outcomes.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Question that I would pose is how many defensemen under 6’ and under 200lbs play in top 4 on contenders?
Umm Colorado's top 4 guys last year were all sub-200...maxing out at an NHL listed "6'1". When you start basing evaluations off of size first and foremost, it's oversimplifying what makes those guys top 4 guys. The list of failed defenseman drafted for their size rather than their skills is quite long. And he doesn't have to reach Makar or EK65 heights to be a very valuable player. The irony being that people would have said the same things about those players in their draft years.

Even so, ASP is listed at 5'11 180 at 17. Even if he doesn't grow any taller, I'd imagine he'll settle is right around the arbitrary 6'0 200 threshold, with potentially PP1 skills.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Umm Colorado's top 4 guys last year were all sub-200...maxing out at an NHL listed "6'1". When you start basing evaluations off of size first and foremost, it's oversimplifying what makes those guys top 4 guys. The list of failed defenseman drafted for their size rather than their skills is quite long. And he doesn't have to reach Makar or EK65 heights to be a very valuable player. The irony being that people would have said the same things about those players in their draft years.

Even so, ASP is listed at 5'11 180 at 17. Even if he doesn't grow any taller, I'd imagine he'll settle is right around the arbitrary 6'0 200 threshold, with potentially PP1 skills.
Playoffs are where size is amplified. Makar was only one of Colorado d under 6’. Girard is but he wasn’t playing due to injury. But I agree that if he is as good as Makar will really help someone.

and obviously can’t draft just based on size, but acting like size doesn’t matter can be just as big of mistake.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Playoffs are where size is amplified.
This is an old hockey cliche that doesn't hold up to a statistical analysis.

ASP is 5'11! He'll hardly be considered undersized in today's game. Mobility, puck skills, and decision making under pressure are infinitely more important than an inch here or there.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is an old hockey cliche that doesn't hold up to a statistical analysis.

ASP is 5'11! He'll hardly be considered undersized in today's game. Mobility, puck skills, and decision making under pressure are infinitely more important than an inch here or there.
All of those are important in compensating for lack of size. And guy like Makar can dominate. But he is no Makar.championship contenders aren’t built in ordinary tiny defensemen. They are generally still built on size and length on back end, with exceptions for tiny stars. but I don’t see anything to suggest ASP us future star. And I’d be shocked if ASP is really 5’11. Looks about 5’9.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
All of those are important in compensating for lack of size. And guy like Makar can dominate. But he is no Makar.championship contenders aren’t built in ordinary tiny defensemen. They are generally still built on size and length on back end, with exceptions for tiny stars. but I don’t see anything to suggest ASP us future star. And I’d be shocked if ASP is really 5’11. Looks about 5’9.
I don't see the point in this discussion unless there is going to be a more technical discussion rather than just talking about size and general cliches. I would never compare a prospect to Makar or prime EK and saying that ASP has to be that type of offensive player to be a valuable top 4 guy is, again, oversimplifying what makes a good player, good. There's more nuance to it. I could just as easily say Strbak can't be a top 4 defenseman because he scored 8 points in the Finnish Junior league last year, but I realize there is a bigger picture.

:cheers:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't see the point in this discussion unless there is going to be a more technical discussion rather than just talking about size and general cliches. I would never compare a prospect to Makar or prime EK and saying that ASP has to be that type of offensive player to be a valuable top 4 guy is, again, oversimplifying what makes a good player, good. There's more nuance to it. I could just as easily say Strbak can't be a top 4 defenseman because he scored 8 points in the Finnish Junior league last year, but I realize there is a bigger picture.

:cheers:
Look, nobody is saying strbak is next miro heiskanen. But I am saying that ignoring role of size and just stat watching leads to over valuing smaller players who have narrower path to being valuable NHLers.

Reactions: dr1234

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Strbak doesn't have the offensive upside that Sandin-Pellikka has.

Strbak is safe bet as at least top 6 defender. Not really sure he can be a top pairing guy but probably defensive/two-way second pairing guy.

Sandin-Pellikka might not be as safe bet but he has bigger upside productively.

Strbak is someone I would be fine to take at the end of first/start of second round. Similar to Ryan Chesley in last draft.

And I like both Chesley and Strbak.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad