RD Maxim Strbak - Michigan State Univ, NCAA (2023, 45th, BUF)

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
#33 on Bob Mckenzie’s final list. Which would leave him one pick outside the first round. It’s interesting he’s listed way higher here than on non-NHL industry lists.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Interested to see if he sneaks into the 1st. It might be a stretch in a good draft for defensemen but as an RHD with plus size (and he's a good prospect, too) in a weak draft year for defensemen, we are going to defensemen go higher than expected.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I want the Blues to jump up on Strbak at either 25 or 29. Excited to see how he develops at Michigan State next year and I'll be following him closely.

Reactions: Blueston

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

I thought he wound up our best dman by the end of the tournament, which isn’t saying much because of how weak it was overall. But still, thought he got better as the tournament went along. Ended up playing over 21 mins against Finland. I am looking forward to seeing his progress at the December tournament.

This one highlight of the kid says so much about the way his mind works, his muscle memory and his first what we used to call reverse stride for dmen. Don’t think he gets passed a lot of teams early in the 2nd. Perfect type pick for Vegas at 32.

Not sure he’ll ever carry the play, but he has very high supporting Dman written all over him. What teams will love is his first move to relieve pressure. He has several of them and it happens naturally. That goes back to his muscle memory. Which out of every Dman in this draft, is right there with ASP and Caden Price. That will lead teams to think he can carry a pair.

When he plays with confidence, there really isn’t much debate. He’s the real deal at this age. It’s when he doesn’t play with confidence, things seem to go sideways. That’s always a concern.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I'd be stoked if the Sharks picked him at 36
He is my target for Montreal's #31 or #37. Big, RHD... Bonus: another Slovak!
Certainly fills a need.

If Montreal somehow drafts Dvorsky and Strbak after drafting Slafkovsky and Mesar, that'd be hilarious... Then Alex Cziernik in the 3rd because gotta catch'em all.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very raw, but I am a believer in him and that his offensive game will eventually find form. He should become a solid enough two-way defenceman with great mobility and an eye for the game. Not first-pairing material - rarely few are - but should be a solid mid-pairing defenceman. If I was a team with multiple picks, I would have no issue taking him in the twenties of the first round.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Very raw, but I am a believer in him and that his offensive game will eventually find form. He should become a solid enough two-way defenceman with great mobility and an eye for the game. Not first-pairing material - rarely few are - but should be a solid mid-pairing defenceman. If I was a team with multiple picks, I would have no issue taking him in the twenties of the first round.
Think that’s the question with him. Will his offensive game ever get there? It’s worth the high pick on him though because he has a really good shot at being a high end role player anyway. Even if it’s just being a really good retriever who moves the puck. It’ll be interesting to see too, as he ultimately turns pro and the game gets more physical, if his mean streak comes out a little more too. It’s subtle, but it’s there when he’s playing with confidence. If his offensive game comes it’s bonus. Just a really solid prospect.

Reactions: Blueston

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My scouting report on this guy from this season.

Kind of played as I expected. Good size, skates well, pretty reliable defensively, although he’s not some stalwart at this point. His puck game is inconsistent. He can occasionally show some nice handling and has a good shot, but he throws away the puck easily too often and then he’s not the most aggressive either. He also should be playing more physical. He’s already over 200 pounds, but sometimes I feel he physically looks his age out there. That’s not to say he’s soft. He can make some hits and win some battles, but he should be throwing his weight out there and playing a more physical game more consistently. He looks a little tentative and green in that part of the game sometimes for a player who has those physical capabilities and shows that at times. I think that’s going to also have to be part of his game as he moves up the ladder. I could see a small chance for a team that lacks offensive talent that he’s PP2, but otherwise I don’t see him being anything more than a defensive defenseman. His game projects well though to the NHL. Good chance he’s like a 4 or 5 with slightly more upside. I’d say he’ll be a late first or early second.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad