RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Where do we think Michkov stacks up to Svechnikov or Ivan Demidov? I have not watched much of ID in game action, just know his general skillset. Thanks for the replies!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Where do we think Michkov stacks up to Svechnikov or Ivan Demidov? I have not watched much of ID in game action, just know his general skillset. Thanks for the replies!

Demidov looks probably more impressive, such a great skater and stickhandler, but Michkov is way more effective. I mean where Michkov just gets the puck, shoots and scores, Demidov gets the puck, outstickhandles the whole defense, shoots, and goalie makes a save...

Reactions: FourQuarters

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
Demidov looks probably more impressive, such a great skater and stickhandler, but Michkov is way more effective. I mean where Michkov just gets the puck, shoots and scores, Demidov gets the puck, outstickhandles the whole defense, shoots, and goalie makes a save...
Thanks for the insight. I have thought the same thing watching some footage, but didn't know enough to say for sure. Seem somewhat complementary. Michkov is a pure shooter and Demidov seems more like a playmaker. Who would you bet turns out to be a better pro?

Reactions: FourQuarters

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Thanks for the insight. I have thought the same thing watching some footage, but didn't know enough to say for sure. Seem somewhat complementary. Michkov is a pure shooter and Demidov seems more like a playmaker. Who would you bet turns out to be a better pro?

I think Michkov will always be better, but Demidov looks very promising too. It's just Michkov is that kind of prospects... they call them generational in Canada.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Good first period from Michkov. Nothing much got done but this is a case where he was not at fault, generally made good decisions with the puck and I particularly liked one shift where he made two cross ice passes in the offensive zone from the right side, they were precise and created a decent amount of space.

Unfortunately, I have class now so I can't keep watching.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
To me, he’s definitely a risk to draft. Other than the danger he present in the offense-zone, I think he has a long way to go. He seems to struggle with the pace of play a lot. I understand this is a profession league, but Carlsson is ahead in terms of the overall maturity in his game. I don’t think Carlsson has more upside, but he clearly has a projectable path to the NHL.

It’s easy to see why SKA buried Michkov on the team despite his offensive gifts. He turns over the puck quite a bit and makes some frustrating plays. For him to have success, I think he’s going to need a good center and guys who can get the puck up the ice. At this point, Michkov is a weapon you deploy on the PP and offensive-zone faceoffs but you need guys to set him up. I’m not sure if he’s a true play driver at this point.

He is definitely on an island in Sochi but he needs to improve his overall game to be a more effective player. He has great goal scoring instincts but he does not have the stick handling ability, speed, and/or frame to truly drive play. He can absolutely improve a lot of his problems but it’s going to take time. If a team wins the lottery that can afford a gamble, I say go for him. If you are Arizona, Chicago or Columbus I think it’s difficult to justify taking him over Carlsson or Fantilli despite the great upside.

I’d love to hear what true fans of the KHL think of his game compared to some other young guys they’ve seen. It’s extremely difficult to judge a player so young in a top professional league.

Anahome

Oct 5, 2019
I’d love to hear what true fans of the KHL think of his game compared to some other young guys they’ve seen. It’s extremely difficult to judge a player so young in a top professional league.
Michkov is bad, very very very bad, just worthless. No points, no goals. His team loses all games.

• Haha
Reactions: jfrank21

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
how good is his skating? can’t think of many star players in the nhl who were small and couldn’t skate

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Svechnikov still has upside but hasn't quite taken his game to that next level. I think at this point Michkov is more likely to get to that next level than Svech but it's no guarantee either. His floor is a little lower but still pretty high relative to most other prospects. I don't think I'd trade Svech straight up for Michkov right now if given that choice but it's pretty close. If the Canes had another power forward in the top 6 I might lean Michkov vs. Svech but tough to give up a 60-70+ point power forward in Svech who is on pace for close to 40 goals this year AND still has room to develop his game another level or 2.

Comparing them as pure prospects and ignoring Svech's NHL career, Michkov is considerably better.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I remember Svech very well in Russias U20 team in his draft year. While it was an achievement to even be nominated under Bragin, he was more or less a passenger playing 10 min on the 4th line. Michkov was in his draft -1 year hands down Russias best player.

And it’s the same picture in his KHL games so fare. I can’t remember a Russian prospect this young having as much impact in the KHL. He is creating several chances/scoring opportunities a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I remember Svech very well in Russias U20 team in his draft year. While it was an achievement to even be nominated under Bragin, he was more or less a passenger playing 10 min on the 4rd line. Michkov was in his draft -1 year hands down Russias best player.

And it’s the same picture in his KHL games so fare. I can’t remember a Russian prospect this young having as much impact in the KHL. He is creating several chances/scoring opportunities a game.
Yes, it was all said before. Michkov is more impressive as a prospect/junior player, he is also tiny. What they were producing at age 17 is mostly irrelevant. The challenges they are going to face at the next level are completely different.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I remember Svech very well in Russias U20 team in his draft year. While it was an achievement to even be nominated under Bragin, he was more or less a passenger playing 10 min on the 4rd line. Michkov was in his draft -1 year hands down Russias best player.

What’s the competition for that though?

Russia hasn’t developed high end prospects for like forever.
2010-> they’ve only had Yak and Svec drafted at the top of the draft and both played their draft years in OHL

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What’s the competition for that though?

Russia hasn’t developed high end prospects for like forever.
Podkolzin, Kravtsov, Nuke have all been drafted in top-10, not to mention other guys in the first round. That's a pretty weird cutoff point to choose to make that kind of statement.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Podkolzin, Kravtsov, Nuke have all been drafted in top-10, not to mention other guys in the first round. That's a pretty weird cutoff point to choose to make that kind of statement.

None of those were or were expected to be top2/3 picks.

KHL hasn’t had real franchise caliber prospects to which compare what Michkov is doing and this year KHL is the worst it has been with the amount of talent leaving

You don’t compare Bedard to 10th overall picks either and make the claims on him being generational just based on that

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Those aren’t at the top of the draft.

Michkov is talked as top2 prospect.

You don’t compare Bedard to top10-15 prospect either
Yes but he is significantly better than those in the 10-15 range. Or, more accurately, 9-10 range. This information serves no purpose to you?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes but he is significantly better than those in the 10-15 range. This information serves no purpose to you?

The KHL is worst than it has been for years so it’s easier to be successfull there this year.
They lost lot of quality depth

Top10-15 prospects are good but they aren’t franchise prospects like Michkov is seen.
The last Russian franchise prospects played in the OHL so we won’t get a realistic look how he compares against other Russian franchise prospects.

Now he’s getting compared to the ”secondary” Russian top prospects.

& instead of calling him a franchise prospect as he looks better than them he’s getting called generational.
That’s where my issue is

Edit.

Do you understand how many generational prospects we had if that was just the standard?

Looks better than a top10-15 prospect= generational

& he’s an awesome prospect no doubt.
I just don’t like how easy he gets the generational tag here.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The KHL is worst than it has been for years so it’s easier to be successfull there this year.
They lost lot of quality depth

Top10-15 prospects are good but they aren’t franchise prospects like Michkov is seen.
The last Russian franchise prospects played in the OHL so we won’t get a realistic look how he compares against other Russian franchise prospects.

Now he’s getting compared to the ”secondary” Russian top prospects.

& instead of calling him a franchise prospect as he looks better than them he’s getting called generational.
That’s where my issue is

Edit.

Do you understand how many generational prospects we had if that was just the standard?

Looks better than a top10-15 prospect= generational

& he’s an awesome prospect no doubt.
I just don’t like how easy he gets the generational tag here.
At least scoring in the KHL has become a bit lower and numbers are proving that. So not sure if for an goalscorer it is easier to be successful now, although it helps that young players are getting more opportunities and trust now.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure you'll see much 1v1 stuff from Michkov because his tools aren't like that. I don't want players to go 1v3 but I do like players that can utilize quickness and fakes to buy time. I didn't see that from him.

Getting angled into the corner and then trying to beat a pro goalie with a red line shot is usually just a turnover, I'm getting tired of seeing him try that play.
He's 17. You dont think that part of the game is going to develop. So strange to get hung up on stuff like that. When scouting a teenager against men you look for the raw tools and if they can play and compete at that level which he is. Nit picking shot selection is very strange when projecting a player at the next level and what they will develop into. Just being able to play in an effective manor at his age in that league is impressive. Something not many players are capable of it happens once every 5 years or so.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's 17. You dont think that part of the game is going to develop. So strange to get hung up on stuff like that. When scouting a teenager against men you look for the raw tools and if they can play and compete at that level which he is. Nit picking shot selection is very strange when projecting a player at the next level and what they will develop into. Just being able to play in an effective manor at his age in that league is impressive. Something not many players are capable of it happens once every 5 years or so.

Folks are talking about him as a quasi-generational player, as someone who should go alongside Bedard, or ahead of Leo Carlsson. That raises the bar. If you want to compare him to Eduard Sale then sure we cab be a bit more patient.

Reactions: BB88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad