Confirmed with Link: Samuel Poulin 2 x 775k

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I imagine someone else picks him up when we inevitably waive him for Matt Nieto and the next Jansen Harkins regardless of his performance in camp given the pedigree.

I doubt they are even that adventurous.

He'll end up traded 1 for 1 for some other team's player in a similar situation after starting him on the big club next season when he fails to set the world on fire with his on and off (mostly off) icetime playing with the likes of Noel Acciari.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1714426951446.png

I just don't see how he fits. It's obvious they don't see him as anything beyond a 4th liner given his usage the last few years and I don't think there is a chance in hell that Nieto or Acciari gets scratched for him. I guess if we run Eller as our 3C again, he could fit in the 4C role.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
View attachment 861895

I just don't see how he fits. It's obvious they don't see him as anything beyond a 4th liner given his usage the last few years and I don't think there is a chance in hell that Nieto or Acciari gets scratched for him. I guess if we run Eller as our 3C again, he could fit in the 4C role.

I really doubt that Smith and Nieto are on the roster for next year.

Poulin's spot on the team is the 13th forward.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I really doubt that Smith and Nieto are on the roster for next year.

Poulin's spot on the team is the 13th forward.

They can waive Nieto, but thinking they will do it is hilarious given how much this franchise loves that player type.

I would be shocked if they are able to move Smith without retention or paying a team to take him. Doubt they do that tbh.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They can waive Nieto, but thinking they will do it is hilarious given how much this franchise loves that player type.

I would be shocked if they are able to move Smith without retention or paying a team to take him. Doubt they do that tbh.

This is silly. He has 1 year left at $5 million and is coming off a season where he finished with 40 points in 76 games. He didn't have a great year last year, but the idea that they'd have to add to him while the cap is going to rise like $5 million is silly.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is silly. He has 1 year left at $5 million and is coming off a season where he finished with 40 points in 76 games. He didn't have a great year last year, but the idea that they'd have to add to him while the cap is going to rise like $5 million is silly.

Yeah he's way off base with this one.

They'll keep him for "scoring pop" on the third line and chalk his mediocre/bad season up to playing on L2 instead of with the great Lars Eller.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

The market for mediocre 33 year old wingers making 5 mil is uh.. not great.

Reactions: Pens x

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
... and he has a very established track record as a more productive player than his 40 points suggest. And he's a Cup winner. And he's a leader. He's very moveable.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The market for mediocre 33 year old wingers making 5 mil is uh.. not great.

You say that as if NHL teams don't pay mediocre 31-33 year old wingers $5 million a year in every free agency period.

Eberle basically had the same production last year as Smith and Seattle re-signed him for 2 years at $4.75 million in early March this year.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You say that as if NHL teams don't pay mediocre 31-33 year old wingers $5 million a year in every free agency period.

Eberle basically had the same production last year as Smith and Seattle re-signed him for 2 years at $4.75 million in early March this year.

Jordan Eberle didn't have a NTC.

Jordan Eberle wasn't a question mark for the Seattle locker room.

Jordan Eberle isn't coming off an incredibly disappointing season where he looked like he didn't give a shit.

I'm sure Dubas will figure it out though. Big brain GM.

Probably looking at this type of move.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jordan Eberle didn't have a NTC.

He had a modified NTC when he signed the deal and his next deal is a full NTC.

Jordan Eberle wasn't a question mark for the Seattle locker room.

How is Smith a "question mark" in the locker room? I completely buy that Smith never wanted to leave Vegas and was upset in Pittsburgh, but the idea that he was a locker room problem based on that is completely fabricated.

Jordan Eberle isn't coming off an incredibly disappointing season where he looked like he didn't give a shit.

Uh, yes he is. He finished with 17 goals and 44 points in 77 games. That's down from 20 goals and 63 points in 82 games last year. He absolutely had an incredibly disappointing season.

Probably looking at this type of move.

Moronic comparison. Bjugstad was dumped after he missed like 57 of 70 games for the Penguins in 2019-2020. Smith had a mediocre year but was still healthy and productive at middle-6 levels.

Bjugstad had 2 points in 13 games in 2019-2020 and was coming off a major injury where he wasn't even able to play in the bubble in August 2020. How is that at all comparable to Smith having a down year?

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He had a modified NTC when he signed the deal and his next deal is a full NTC.

How is Smith a "question mark" in the locker room? I completely buy that Smith never wanted to leave Vegas and was upset in Pittsburgh, but the idea that he was a locker room problem based on that is completely fabricated.

Uh, yes he is. He finished with 17 goals and 44 points in 77 games. That's down from 20 goals and 63 points in 82 games last year. He absolutely had an incredibly disappointing season.

Moronic comparison. Bjugstad was dumped after he missed like 57 of 70 games for the Penguins in 2019-2020. Smith had a mediocre year but was still healthy and productive at middle-6 levels.

Didn't realize Eberle had to waive his NTC to sign with Seattle.

I'm not arguing this. I'm sure Kyle Dubas, great negotiator and genius GM will figure out the Reilly Smith situation.

He certainly did an amazing job at the deadline and previous UFA to really flex his muscles when it came to cap space.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania

Does Sullivan know this?

I’ve said this before that I find it super interesting how dating back to mid season last year it seemed like Dubas genuinely wants to see what we have in the WBS players. Every PC he’s had since then he talks up how those guys need brought up and be given an honest look.

Then you have Sullivan playing them minimal minutes and sitting them over every little mistake. There’s just such a huge disconnect that I’m stunned Dubas doesn’t see.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Didn't realize Eberle had to waive his NTC to sign with Seattle.

Maybe try reading the posts you reply to.

The reality is that a bunch of teams will be trying to hand out bad contracts in UFA like normal, and when a team misses out on a guy in free agency, they'll circle back to the trade market for guys like Smith on the cheap. Once teams miss out on paying someone like Mantha or Perron $5 million a year, they'll circle back to guys like Smith and trade for them at a minimal cost.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I assume they’ll actually give him a look similar to what they did with POJ this year now that he’s waiver eligible.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad