• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Look at this resume Tij Iginla has in his draft year... One of the youngest and one of the hottest trending.

Remember, Tij only played 48 games in his first full season at age 16 (22/23). I also believe he was playing center for a while and took off when he was moved to wing. He's clearly a puck possession winger who has goal scoring ability and play making skills.

I hope we don't pass up on Iggy. Only guys I would consider passing up on him is Celebrini and Demidov. I'm drooling over this draft year and what Iggy will do in his age 18, 19, 20 seasons. Most of the others we are considering have had dominate draft years at a older age with one more season ahead of Iggy.

Iggy is going to pass Catton, Lindstrom, Sennecke in the next year or two and leave them in his dust.

794WaY1.png

Last edited:

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
We have lots of picks and prospects to make that happen and we should if there is a guy we like available. I'd like to move up to the teens if possible.
I would pony up pegs & calgary next year to move (or a first and a dman, but I’m doubting any of our extras are worth a first). I think Hughes is right when he says we’re about done with the accumulation phase. We need quality over quantity now, and the top 15 provides it. Speeds up the arrival by a year too, if we can’t make a young gun (21-22-23 yo) hockey trade happen

Reactions: BLONG7 and Deebs

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
My final take as of today goes Lindstrom, Iginla, Demidov.
Oh, there’s still plenty of time before the draft to have plenty of more takes my friend. :naughty:

Edit: it clearly says “as of today”; don’t post while you’re waking up friends.

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I would pony up pegs & calgary next year to move (or a first and a dman, but I’m doubting any of our extras are worth a first). I think Hughes is right when he says we’re about done with the accumulation phase. We need quality over quantity now, and the top 15 provides it. Speeds up the arrival by a year too, if we can’t make a young gun (21-22-23 yo) hockey trade happen
One of next years picks with comfortable enough top 10, top 5, worst of first, etc. conditions might be something to work out if they’re really into getting 2 of the top 15 this year. Add that to Winnipeg’s 1st and perhaps a d man and gauge the interest.

Also 2 guaranteed seconds next year, and I think 3 thirds with the NJ one having the possibility to become a second.

Very curious to see how creative they can get in making moves. Just depends if they’re in love with this draft, or a certain player to trade for, or maybe want to make this kind of move at the 2025 draft.

Reactions: Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Why does one get the upside of one of the best offensive forwards in the league and the other doesn't get the upside of one of the better power forwards in the league?
Those are their play styles. Panarin and Demidov are skilled forwards, while Kane and Lindstrom are power forwards.

There are two other little points regarding Lindstrom. Compared to say Sennecke, I think he matured earlier. Secondly the small sample size due to injury is a bit concerning.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Those are their play styles. Panarin and Demidov are skilled forwards, while Kane and Lindstrom are power forwards.

There are two other little points regarding Lindstrom. Compared to say Sennecke, I think he matured earlier. Secondly the small sample size due to injury is a bit concerning.

OK but it's just such a biased way to present the argument.

Disclaimer: I have Demidov well ahead.

But imagine if I was just like "Oh yeah, I'd be super stoked.. I'd rather have Cam Neely than Jonathan Drouin"

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Chances are it's the Florida pick we get, unless Calgary climbs out of the bottom 10.

Call it a 26th this year and a 26th next year, roughly.

Without discounting next year's value, that is around the value of around 11th this year. But we likely get something a bit lower.

I don't think we can get any significant draft value without moving a desirable player - Guhle, Reinbacher or Matheson. There are drawbacks to each move, so it depends on how much someone wants a particular one of those three to give real value back.

OK but it's just such a biased way to present the argument.

Disclaimer: I have Demidov well ahead.

But imagine if I was just like "Oh yeah, I'd be super stoked.. I'd rather have Cam Neely than Jonathan Drouin"
We kind of agree, as I'm just finding another way to say I have Demidov way ahead.

I wrote "I'd rather have a shot at Panarin than Kane" which means those are the two specific ceilings I see. I don't believe that is biased. It's my evaluation, that's all.

If I saw Drouin as the ceiling for Demidov and Neely as the ceiling for Lindstrom, I'd be favouring Lindstrom.

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
i know this is spreading like wildfire but watching the Briere clip, when he says he doesn't know if Michkov will ever come over, my impression is that he's kinda joking
Briere knows that when the Money is on the table, no russian player are gonna stay in KHL. Thats why I don’t believe 1 second that Michkov is gonna stay in Russia for his whole career.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Looking over the NHL draft pick value:

27th 3.2
58 1.2

What if Hughes and Gorton trades both the 27th overall pick and 58th overall pick to move up to the 17-18th overall pick?

Beckett Sennecke and Liam Greentree are both projected to to 15-18th in the draft.

Me thinks we could end up with one of (Demidov, Lindstrom) and (Sennecke, Greentree) this draft.
It has been well established by now that Sennecke will go much higher than that.
I do support moving up but you need a dance partner.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Look at this resume Tij Iginla has in his draft year... One of the youngest and one of the hottest trending.

Remember, Tij only played 48 games in his first full season at age 16 (22/23). I also believe he was playing center for a while and took off when he was moved to wing. He's clearly a puck possession winger who has goal scoring ability and play making skills.

I hope we don't pass up on Iggy. Only guys I would consider passing up on him is Celebrini and Demidov. I'm drooling over this draft year and what Iggy will do in his age 18, 19, 20 seasons. Most of the others we are considering have had dominate draft years at a older age with one more season ahead of Iggy.

Iggy is going to pass Catton, Lindstrom, Sennecke in the next year or two and leave them in his dust.

794WaY1.png
Eiserman is bigger, better offensively and younger. Iginla has a last name?

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Eiserman is bigger, better offensively and younger. Iginla has a last name?

Nah, both are two of my targets. Both are one of the younger in this draft and got solid weight at their young age. Saying Tij is popular because of his last name is evidence of you don't really know his game. With Eiserman, many are low on him but I'm not. Both are in my top 10.

Watch these videos and tell me Iggy's flaws?

Reactions: Rozz

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Nah, both are two of my targets. Both are one of the younger in this draft and got solid weight at their young age. Saying Tij is popular because of his last name is evidence of you don't really know his game. With Eiserman, many are low on him but I'm not. Both are in my top 10.

Watch these videos and tell me Iggy's flaws?

I like Iginla too it's just I don't really like the forwards of this draft in general after ID. Shouldn't force ourselves to draft a forward if Lev or Dickinson are there at 5.

Reactions: bsl and Jabba11

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
IF both Lindstrom and Demidov are available at #5,

And we pick Lindstrom...

Is everyone okay with that?

Absolutely, if Lindstrom hits his ceiling he'll be an extremely valuable player, especially if he stays at C.

I would be equally happy with either, both bring something we lack.

Reactions: River Meadow

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like Iginla too it's just I don't really like the forwards of this draft in general after ID. Shouldn't force ourselves to draft a forward if Lev or Dickinson are there at 5.

I don't think we are forcing it. Listen to what Bob M says. He's usually right. Don't trust others more than Bob. Bob said he has not seen the varying opinions from 2-10+ in 35 years of doing draft rankings. Bob talks to actual NHL scouts bud. It's not internet rankings based on spreadsheets

Bookmark this. I bet you the BPA narrative will change a lot when we do redrafts in 3-5 years.

Demidov, Iggy, Catton, Eiserman, Sennecke, Lindstrom
vs
Silayev, Levshunov, Dickinson, Parekh, Buium.

Some are acting like there is 3 or 4 sure shot top pairing D in this draft. I see the potential but I have also seen this before. I feel comfortable there will be many top 4D's though.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I trust this management group far more than the last one. My out look has gone from please don't screw this up, to I wonder who they like.

Kind of reflects what most of our fan base thinks as well.

Gorton/Hughes and the scouting team has targeted this so far with their top 5 picks (Slaf and Reinbacher):
* Size
* Skating
* Compete level
* Hot trending prospect

Some would say KK was a hot trending prospect as well. Yeah, he was but his skating was not good. And his Liiga resume was meh. It was mainly based on his U18's.

Yzerman also picked Seider for the same reasons we picked Reinbacher. Some teams do have management/scouts that have focus and a great strategy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad