• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What's your top five look like?

I don't have one. I have waives. I build my draft boards differently than listing them one after another. And I think NHL teams do this too. This is why we see so many conversations with BPA/Need every single year.

Celebrini

2nd Waive:
Demidov, Silayev, Levshunov, Iggy, Dickinson,

3rd Waive: Parekh, Lindstrom, Catton, Buium, Helenius, Catton, Eiserman, Sennecke

I personally don't have as many sure shot top pairing D's like some are talking about. I see a lot of projections but there is just not that many sure shot top pairing D's in the NHL and to expect 4+ in this draft is a reach IMO. There is going to be some busts/disappointments in this draft. Not many are considering this.

I think the reason why Bob sees a lot of different opinions on 2+, is because some scouts are questioning how good that D will be.

I have 2 forwards and 3 D's in my 2nd waive. I may be bias because I have two forwards as my target. Demidov and Iggy. And I really like Eiserman's shot but it's a reach to take him 5.

If both Demidov and Iggy are on the board when we pick, that's a tough call for me to make. I reserve right to decide for a later date (after combine). I really like Iggy's complete game and he should top out around 6'-1" and 200+ lbs. This would fit our re-build strategy IMO.... and it's cup contending strategy. Not regular season champs.

When I evaluate, I look at nit picking any flaws as well as their potential. When I watch video, I look how the player is generating their hype. Against weak D breakdowns, open space, PP, playing with lots of talent, etc. With Iggy, I see him producing in many different situations.... including the boring areas along the boards and how to escape pressure. One thing with Demidov is I do see him shying away from hits at times but that skating/skill is very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Kind of reflects what most of our fan base thinks as well.

Gorton/Hughes and the scouting team has targeted this so far with their top 5 picks (Slaf and Reinbacher):
* Size
* Skating
* Compete level
* Hot trending prospect

Some would say KK was a hot trending prospect as well. Yeah, he was but his skating was not good. And his Liiga resume was meh. It was mainly based on his U18's.

Yzerman also picked Seider for the same reasons we picked Reinbacher. Some teams do have management/scouts that have focus and a great strategy
The one commonality I've found from both of the Habs 1st round picks since HuGo came on board is "projectability".

Both times (Slafkovsky & Reinbacher), they passed on more "established" prospects for prospects who have a high ceiling based on projectability.

This just screams Lindstrom to me...if he's there, i'm convinced that's their pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The one commonality I've found from both of the Habs 1st round picks since HuGo came on board is "projectability".

Both times (Slafkovsky & Reinbacher), they passed on more "established" prospects for prospects who have a high ceiling based on projectability.

This just screams Lindstrom to me...if he's there, i'm convinced that's their pick.

Lindstrom is not hot trending with that injury and no U18's to watch. Both Slaf and Reinbacher were hot trending prospects.

If the Habs take Lindstrom, I'll trust them but I don't think we are. This is not a true center type for me and he fall in the power forward category. I don't like his vision but his compete level and shot is very good.

Call me crazy but I think Lindstrom is going 6-13 range. He's in my 3rd waive of talent. I think his game changes when he faces players closer to his size/skating at the pro level. A bit of a shocker for him and it takes time for him to overcome it.

How many guys from the 2nd round plus (CHL drafts) end up being taken in the top 10 in the NHL and turn into impact players? Not saying this is my only layer of approch but I question his pedigree. If someone can list some past names, I'd be interested in this list. Guys drafted 2nd round + in the CHL drafts but top 10 in the NHL 3 years later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs4Life

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Lindstrom is not hot trending with that injury and no U18's to watch. Both Slaf and Reinbacher were hot trending prospects.

If the Habs take Lindstrom, I'll trust them but I don't think we are. This is not a true center type for me and he fall in the power forward category. I don't like his vision but his compete level and shot is very good.

Call me crazy but I think Lindstrom is going 6-13 range. He's in my 3rd waive of talent.
i 100% agree

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Like I said, I think the common link is "projectability".

I'd be surprised if they were swayed by recent hot streaks. Scouts look at the entire season of a prospect and they don't isolate short tournament performances as much as fans do, at least not IMO.

Call me crazy but I think Lindstrom is going 6-13 range. He's in my 3rd waive of talent.
Maybe...a lot will depend on how picks 2, 3 and 4 go.

I have a preference for Lindstrom, but i'd be find with several of the forwards ranked around that spot personally.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'd be surprised if they were swayed by recent hot streaks. Scouts look at the entire season of a prospect and they don't isolate short tournament performances as much as fans do, at least not IMO.

I have a preference for Lindstrom, but i'd be find with several of the forwards ranked around that spot personally.

I don't hate Lindstrom. I do see what you see in his game. I just have more question marks on him vs others. Lindstrom to me is a Bergevin/Timmins type pick.

At the end of the day, the redraft is going to look much different than what we see today or what happens on draft day. Too much talent in similar waives and then factor in the bust/disappointments.

If anybody else finds a list of those 2nd round + CHL picks that end up top 10 in the NHL, please bounce it forward. I'm curious

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't hate Lindstrom. I do see what you see in his game. I just have more question marks on him vs others. Lindstrom to me is a Bergevin/Timmins type pick.
Really? seems to be the complete opposite of the types of picks they made which were high floor, low ceiling.
At the end of the day, the redraft is going to look much different than what we see today or what happens on draft day. Too much talent in similar waives and then factor in the bust/disappointments.

If anybody else finds a list of those 2nd round + CHL picks that end up top 10 in the NHL, please bounce it forward. I'm curious
It almost always is.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I think your right that they are focused much more on projectability then other teams, but I would note that getting better throughout the year is likely a component to that projectability evaluation. If a guy is the exactly the same player at the end of the season then he was at the start then you probably aren't projecting him to grow/develop much, whereas a player who is getting better and better as the season goes on does project more because that growth can continue. So yeah hot streaks/point streaks might not matter much, but if it's coinciding with improved play then it will be a factor in how they project them.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think your right that they are focused much more on projectability then other teams, but I would note that getting better throughout the year is likely a component to that projectability evaluation. If a guy is the exactly the same player at the end of the season then he was at the start then you probably aren't projecting him to grow/develop much, whereas a player who is getting better and better as the season goes on does project more because that growth can continue. So yeah hot streaks/point streaks might not matter much, but if it's coinciding with improved play then it will be a factor in how they project them.
Agreed + what is the most important factor IMO, is how much growth is there left for this player to reach in the next 3-5 years.

This is why i'm leaning Lindstrom because the canvas is so vast and there's already a decent amount already there.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed + what is the most important factor IMO, is how much growth is there left for this player to reach in the next 3-5 years.

This is why i'm leaning Lindstrom because the canvas is so vast and there's already a decent amount already there.

One thing that is hard to teach is vision/play making. Lindstrom is one strong young kid with a very good shot but watch some more video with him. His vision and play making is average at best.

I feel comfortable saying he will be an active power forward (not a lazy type).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Aside from Iggy, The Kelowna Rockets had 2 other pt/game players. 3 NHL drafted players. One not drafted but signed. Other two are 2nd and 3rd round NHL picks.

47 goals in 64 regular season games (WHL)
9 goals in 11 playoff games (WHL)
6 goals in 7 U18's games.

Assist numbers are just as impressive as his goals.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
It's painful to know we could have just drafted a better player in Michkov last year and got our defenseman this year...

sigh......................
A better player ? Maybe not , more flashy talented for sure . But let’s wait till he actually play in the nhl and show us what he can do and he can improve a team so we can decide if he is the better player

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A better player ? Maybe not , more flashy talented for sure . But let’s wait till he actually play in the nhl and show us what he can do and he can improve a team so we can decide if he is the better player

Agreed. Who knows how that one plays out. It's too early. Way too much D talk in this draft. Lots of top 4D to pick from yes but fans acting like there is 4+ top pairing quality.

Who are the two stable guys ranked in the top 5 most of this draft year? It's Silayev and Levshunov. The rest of them are late movers like some of the forwards.

Reactions: tazsub3

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

I would only add, Habs org is Uber focused on “projectability for the Mtl market” - wouldn’t surprise me if something about Michkov raised red flags about meeting that criteria for example

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We have lots of picks and prospects to make that happen and we should if there is a guy we like available. I'd like to move up to the teens if possible.

I'd love to move up, either from 5 or 26. I'd pay a good premium to do so, because already have a lot of picks and a lot of prospects in the system. We need to try to find 2 key guys, not a lot of depth guys.

Reactions: Kiss Under the Guy

Jul 6, 2016
I'd love to move up, either from 5 or 26. I'd pay a good premium to do so, because already have a lot of picks and a lot of prospects in the system. We need to try to find 2 key guys, not a lot of depth guys.
« Lots" doesn’t mean « quality." Besides the d-men, there is not that many sure fire forwards. I am still waiting to see more consistency from Roy, and how Beck, Mesar, Kapanen will adapt to higher level hockey.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
« Lots" doesn’t mean « quality." Besides the d-men, there is not that many sure fire forwards. I am still waiting to see more consistency from Roy, and how Beck, Mesar, Kapanen will adapt to higher level hockey.
We only need 9. I like what I see in;

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
-------- - Dach - ---------
Newhook - Beck/Kapanen - Roy

With free agency and trades, I'd be happy investing in two high quality forwards, as opposed to many lesser prospects.

Reactions: bsl

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
We only need 9. I like what I see in;

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
-------- - Dach - ---------
Newhook - Beck/Kapanen - Roy

With free agency and trades, I'd be happy investing in two high quality forwards, as opposed to many lesser prospects.

with the pick this year that should leave only one spot to fill in the top 6

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Those are their play styles. Panarin and Demidov are skilled forwards, while Kane and Lindstrom are power forwards.

There are two other little points regarding Lindstrom. Compared to say Sennecke, I think he matured earlier. Secondly the small sample size due to injury is a bit concerning.
Honestly I would make the assumption that he would have finished the year stronger than he started it. All these kids are developing.

Where is the fun in that?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It seems unlikely that Levshunov will be available at 5.
OK, but let's assume Lindstrom and Demidov are taken, and Levshunov is available at 5th. Can we think of five teams that we believe might want to grab him, and let's discuss what we would be willing to trade the pick for with each team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad