Player Discussion Vincent Desharnais

Should he see the ice again in these playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 44.5%

• Total voters

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Everyone said Gudbranson woudn't get Gudbranson money, and then he did. Gudbranson was a long time NHL'er, but he also had been a healthy scratch a number of times, and was considered a negative value asset for a long time as well. His draft year was a decade before he signed that deal, so it doesn't really play into that contract either. He had one bounce back season, after 3 or 4 bad ones where he was at best a bottom pairing defenseman, before he became a UFA.

There's always a dumb and desperate GM ready to throw money at the big guy he thinks is a game changing shut down defenseman. I wouldn't say he is worth Gudbranson money, but it wouldn't be the first time a GM signed a big, physical defenseman to too much money. Gudbranson being the perfect example of this.

VD and Gudbranson might not be a reasonable contract comparable, but Gudbranson isn't exactly on a reasonable contract for what he brings, and that's my point. We don't only have to compete with other GM's who want VD for what he is - we possibly have to compete with another GM who is desperate for a 2nd pair shut down RD and is so desperate that he overpays significantly.
This years UFA class is loaded with defensemen who may be as desirable to teams as Desharnias depending on what they are looking for. There might be 20-30 other guys who could be available to fill the role Desharnais plays for the Oilers. Many of them have played up the line-up with some success. Going to UFA status is also a risk for Vinny.

I am pretty sure that the Oilers will resign him before July 1. It may cost more than I would want but he is a valuable piece for this team. The bogger question for me is do they move Ceci/Kulak.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This years UFA class is loaded with defensemen who may be as desirable to teams as Desharnias depending on what they are looking for. There might be 20-30 other guys who could be available to fill the role Desharnais plays for the Oilers. Many of them have played up the line-up with some success. Going to UFA status is also a risk for Vinny.

I am pretty sure that the Oilers will resign him before July 1. It may cost more than I would want but he is a valuable piece for this team. The bogger question for me is do they move Ceci/Kulak.
I think moving Ceci is a given, they need a better puck mover in his spot and I will still say the team explores moving on from Nurse in the offseason. I hope you're right, I would love to have Vinny back

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Don’t mind giving Vinny the Kulak money… bring in Broberg and Halloway full time and move on from Ceci, Kulak and Foeg and use that cap space for a quality partner for Nurse.
The Kulak contract is a bargain IMO.
He is such a solid playoff perfromer that I just wouldnt consider trading him unless there is no other option.

Nurse is the player that should be headed out the door IMO.
He is essentially a 2nd pairing dman making $9.25M. Just cant have that level of wasted cap space on a team that needs to sign Drai next season.

That also allows the team to make the appropriate adjustments as well like signing Desharnais to a long term Kulak level contract.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
He is such a solid playoff perfromer that I just wouldnt consider trading him unless there is no other option.

He is essentially a 2nd pairing dman making $9.25M. Just cant have that level of wasted cap space on a team that needs to sign Drai next season.

That also allows the team to make the appropriate adjustments as well like signing Desharnais to a long term Kulak level contract.

Nurse and his contract are a complete mess. First problem is he and mcdavid are best friends. They lived together for years.

So with mcdavid do you now trade his best friend in a contract year? You're much more inclined to work at a place you like your co workers.

Next problem is depsite his over pay we all realize what a giant problem it is when he takes his annual suspension and the team needs to allocate 22 minutes of hard minutes a night. He doesn't play on the pp it's all pk and 5v5 minutes against top competition.

Hes overpaid and we're stuck with a Ken Holland master mess but I don't see how he's ever moved while mcdavid is here.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse and his contract are a complete mess. First problem is he and mcdavid are best friends. They lived together for years.

So with mcdavid do you now trade his best friend in a contract year? You're much more inclined to work at a place you like your co workers.

Next problem is depsite his over pay we all realize what a giant problem it is when he takes his annual suspension and the team needs to allocate 22 minutes of hard minutes a night. He doesn't play on the pp it's all pk and 5v5 minutes against top competition.

Hes overpaid and we're stuck with a Ken Holland master mess but I don't see how he's ever moved while mcdavid is here.
McDavid is a smart man and NHL hockey is a business first and foremost and the business at hand involves winning in a cap world.
IMO he would completely understand the reality of the business situation.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Nurse has a NMC and isn't waiving for anything. You can't just send a player like him , Nuge , Kane or Hyman 'out the door'. This is our core and we have to build around it.

McDavid is a smart man.
Hopefully Oilers management is smart as well and won't even ask Nurse to waive his NMC to save themselves the embarrassment.

Reactions: The Nuge

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
McDavid is a smart man and NHL hockey is a business first and foremost and the business at hand involves winning in a cap world.
No this is a job like any other. You care about being employee of the month or winning salesman of the year to some degree.

You need to like the people you go to work with above and beyond that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse has a NMC and isn't waiving for anything. You can't just send a player like him , Nuge , Kane or Hyman 'out the door'. This is our core and we have to build around it.

Hopefully Oilers management is smart as well and won't even ask Nurse to waive his NMC to save themselves the embarrassment.
I dont see how you can make the claim that its a slam dunk he doesnt want to move if the team shows an interest in trading him.
If a player knows that the team wants to trade him then that has to play a roles in deciding to leave to or stay as well.

No this is a job like any other. You care about being employee of the month or winning salesman of the year to some degree.

You need to like the people you go to work with above and beyond that.
Of course but this is a completely different animal.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

So let’s say you find a taker for Darnell Nurse (best of luck with that). Who do you get to replace him? Even now his pairing is playing the most minutes at 5v5. Guys who can play 22-25 minutes a night don’t exactly grow on trees. Took Holland 4 years to get Ekholm and it’s not like he’s getting any younger. He’s a player that we are probably going to want to start giving fewer minutes to, not more.

Kulak meanwhile is strictly a bottom pair D-man who doesn’t contribute to either special teams unit. He’s by far the easiest player to replace on the backend (and can be replaced internally).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I dont see how you can make the claim that its a slam dunk he doesnt want to move if the team shows an interest in trading him.
If a player knows that the team wants to trade him then that has to play a roles in deciding to leave to or stay as well.

Maybe the team will want to move Hyman too then.. and Hyman would waive his NMC.
Unless Nurse costs us the cup and there is a strong push from rest of core to get rid of him he isn't going anywhere.
Fans not liking his contract isn't good enough a reason.

So let’s say you find a taker for Darnell Nurse (best of luck with that). Who do you get to replace him? Even now his pairing is playing the most minutes at 5v5. Guys who can play 22-25 minutes a night don’t exactly grow on trees. Took Holland 4 years to get Ekholm and it’s not like he’s getting any younger. He’s a player that we are probably going to want to start giving fewer minutes to, not more.

Kulak meanwhile is strictly a bottom pair D-man who doesn’t contribute to either special teams unit. He’s by far the easiest player to replace on the backend (and can be replaced internally).
Giordano or Edmundson no?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

With the Broberg situation, you kind of have to move one (or Broberg). Which one is definitely not easy though. Ceci is proven more effective in the top 4 than Kulak and plays a bigger role on the PK, but Kulak is cheaper and always steps up big in the playoffs.

Exactly. We all know Nurse makes an extra 1-1.5 compared to what he should but his NMC means he’s just not leaving.

I dont see how you can make the claim that it’s a slam dunk he doesnt want to move if the team shows an interest in trading him.

Unless it’s like Colorado asking him to waive, why would he?

Exactly. And anyone you get who can actually take his minutes is probably going to cost you damn near as much. Severson is a big step down and got 6.25

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Unless it’s like Colorado asking him to waive, why would he?
Players have a lot of different reasons for picking a destination. Some players prioritize winning..some dont.
The reality s that no one on here is in a position to know what it is Nurse wants and doesnt want.
So suggesting its Colorado or nothing doesnt make a lot of sense.

Regarding Nurse...you have cap space and Holland wont be running the show.
Im good with that.

Trading Kulak isnt a net gain.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Maybe the team will want to move Hyman too then.. and Hyman would waive his NMC.
Unless Nurse costs us the cup and there is a strong push from rest of core to get rid of him he isn't going anywhere.
Fans not liking his contract isn't good enough a reason.
Its got nothing to do with fans not likeing the contract. It was to do with the reality about having a 2nd pairing defender eating up over $9M.

That is a good enough reason.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

If you find a taker for Nurse (doubtful, but possible) you have to make the move just to get out of the cap hell.

Left side =
Ekholm
Kulak
Broberg

Dump Ceci and strengthen the right side if possible via Free Agency or just replace Nurse with a 2nd pair LHD at a more reasonable cap hit.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
All things considered, I prefer to keep Kulak vs. Ceci. Him and VInny have given the Oil an outstanding 3rd pairing for over a year now.

Plus I think there's easy solution: One of Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak, or Broberg will need to play their off side. Hardly earth-shattering stuff.

Personally I think the correct answer is Ekholm. Play him with Nurse to give the team a dominant all-round pairing, keep Kulak and Vinny together as a reliable defensive pairing, and let Bouchard support Broberg during his contract year.

Nurse-Ekholm
Broberg-Bouchard
Kulak-Vinny

If Bouchard continues to look amazing, then sure, park the Brinks track truck on his driveway. But odds are Bouchard will look a little more human away from Ekholm, and won't be in the position to ask for 9/10/11 mil.

I'd rather the Oil come that realization before Ekholm runs out of gas.

Reactions: La Bamba and AM

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
All things considered, I prefer to keep Kulak vs. Ceci. Him and VInny have given the Oil an outstanding 3rd pairing for over a year now.

Plus I think there's easy solution: One of Ekholm, Nurse, Kulak, or Broberg will need to play their off side. Hardly earth-shattering stuff.

Personally I think the correct answer is Ekholm. Play him with Nurse to give the team a dominant all-round pairing, keep Kulak and Vinny together as a reliable defensive pairing, and let Bouchard support Broberg during his contract year.

Nurse-Ekholm
Broberg-Bouchard
Kulak-Vinny

If Bouchard continues to look amazing, then sure, park the Brinks track truck on his driveway. But odds are Bouchard will look a little more human away from Ekholm, and won't be in the position to ask for 9/10/11 mil.

I'd rather the Oil come that realization before Ekholm runs out of gas.
As I first read this post, i was thinking, up Dazed and Confused in regards to Ekholm and Bouchard. Then I thought this might be brilliant.

Concerned about Bouchard being the best dman on his pairing and I wouldn't want to make Ekholm weaker on his wrong side. Thanks for confusing me a bit.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad