GDT: 2/5/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
The problem I had with the officiating is that it was completely inconsistent with any other game played up to that point. Had it been officiated like all games prior, the Flyers would have been blasted like last time.

That being said, it's up to the players to realize what is and isn't going to be called and adapt on a game by game basis. The Flyers suck hard this season with injuries and almost zero secondary scoring to this point. A grind it out, no calls for blatant stick fouls and interference is the kind of game they need to win. They won. Rinaldo did his job, set the tone and the Lightning played right into it by not shooting on that awful goalie of theirs.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
What all of us need to keep in mind is that maybe we're really super pissed at NBCSN for what is percieved to be biased coverage. (and possibly officiating, according to some)

If Milbury and Jones didn't talk so much **** about the Lightning, then I don't think this would really be worth talking about.

The fight really wasn't that big of a deal until Milbury started to say **** like 'finish the job' and 'there is no code' because it agreed with his premise at the moment.

I actually didn't think much of it until Pierre brought up the conversation between Marty and Briere, and after they showed the replay I had an issue with it. I don't mind Keith Jones and his bias is understandable. Mike Milbury is a goof, so I was expecting him to say something stupid. The NBCSN crew had nothing to do with my frustrations, but keep in mind I'm a person that actually likes Pierre McGuire and even the NESN crew (usually).

Their presence has more to do with who doesn't have to fight.

Agreed. I think it's also fair to say guys like that can be a deterrent, but I chose my words poorly.

Labrie is not a heavyweight and he's obviously not a lightweight, so what does that make him?

A light-heavyweight.

Not sure what this has to with what I posted. General observation?

Yes, sorry for being unclear.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, the last three KO losses sustained by Lightning players in fights have all been against the Flyers (Roy/Cote)(Brewer/Simmonds)(Rinaldo/Crombeen).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Let's keep it civil.

ZtU6Luv.gif

Love, FP

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Some positive thoughts on the game:

Lee played decent

Conacher has great defensive awareness and poise in the D zone.

Pyatt never seems to make a bad play. (Aside from stealing Stamkos empty netters)

MSL has to step up and have a big game against NJ. We need him at his best.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
it doesn't really matter. if the Flyers felt they owed Crombeen for something hid did to Giroux in TB, thats good enough for me.

Not sure what's so hard to understand about L.Schenn making Vinny fight, Crombeen sending the message that if you fight our Captain, we're going to goad yours so he can skate away and not man up.

Flyers owed Crombeen nothing. In fact, Simmonds mugged him and Crombeen ended up getting THREE minor penalties out of it resulting in an awfully executed 4min PP for the Flyers.

Rinaldo set the tone of the game with that fight. He took liberties, 3 extra punches, after you know your opponent is loopy is ******. Vinny answering by hitting Talbot while he was down was just as ******.

No love lost between the franchises.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Vinny's leadership and contributions often go unnoticed. Vinny is the heartbeat of this organization and the turnaround came when he was drafted; for me, Marty is the player who leads by example. Two great leaders but Vinny contributes to the game in a variety of ways - strong play down low, hits, fights, goals, assists, solid work in the defensive zone and good on face-offs.

Disagree, Marty is the heartbeat of this team. You'll strongly notice Tampa is ridiculously off when Marty's off. Vinny is the more lead by example type and those things you listed are examples of that, but he's a hothead sometimes and takes questionable penalties.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Disagree, Marty is the heartbeat of this team. You'll strongly notice Tampa is ridiculously off when Marty's off. Vinny is the more lead by example type and those things you listed are examples of that, but he's a hothead sometimes and takes questionable penalties.

Yup, it's no coincidence that St. Louis and teams' struggles seem to coincide. He needs to get going, and he will.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I'm still pissed he took himself off the ice for 7 minutes in a game we're down one in. And they lost... Max Talbot. It's one thing if he dropped them with Giroux, but come on man.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008

Really? Marty has been off this whole year and yet those 6 games we won, were done so in outstanding fashion. Sure he produced points, but his offensive and defensive zone play has been awful and 7 of his 14 points have come on the PP, the only area where he's really been "good". When I say Marty leads by example, I mean that he out works everyone on the ice (used to) and produces great passes and offensive plays.

I think there's a reason as to why Vinny was named captain and it's foolish to question that. If we know what goes on in the dressing room, on the ice and on the bench better than the coaching staff has for the past 5 years, then perhaps everyone in the organization should be fired.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Definitely not. Of the current group: Brayden Schenn, Shartnell, Simmonds, Rinaldo, Pronger (when he was healthy), Shelley and even Talbot occasionally. Some of their transgressions are rightfully dealt with in penalties and suspensions, others go unnoticed and are taking out players' skates behind the play, grabbing jerseys, holding onto sticks, constant slashes and hacks etc.

It's called hockey. All teams do this , its not like they put on a flyers jersey and all of a sudden they learn to hit people , slash, hack etc etc.

pronger simmonds, schenn, hartnell, all played with other teams before the flyers

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Really? Marty has been off this whole year and yet those 6 games we won, were done so in outstanding fashion. Sure he produced points, but his offensive and defensive zone play has been awful and 7 of his 14 points have come on the PP, the only area where he's really been "good". When I say Marty leads by example, I mean that he out works everyone on the ice (used to) and produces great passes and offensive plays.

6 games.. really that's your sample size?

Marty scored the game winning goal in Tampa's first ever playoff series, coincidence out of Richards, Stamkos, Lecavalier and St.louis the team goes the furthest in the playoffs when St.louis has his biggest and 2nd biggest regular season careers highs? Coincidence that last year was St.louis off year and Tampa takes a nose dive into the standings? Or when St.louis calls out the lightning team as a whole 2 years ago and then win back to back games.

Vinny is one of my favorite players but he's definitely not the heart and soul of this team, he's taken 12 years to finally play with this passion we're seeing this season.

Sure he produced points, but his offensive and defensive zone play has been awful

Man have you forgotten what Lecavalier looked like the 2 years after that 92 point season? He floated 90% of his shifts, wouldn't battle anything in the corners and was completely disinterested.

I watched St.louis go all out every season since he came to this team, he never took years off like Lecavalier and 6 games isn't really enough to change my mind. And really you're the first lightning fan I've ever seen on this forum say anyone on this team plays with more heart and soul then MSL.

I'm still pissed he took himself off the ice for 7 minutes in a game we're down one in. And they lost... Max Talbot. It's one thing if he dropped them with Giroux, but come on man.

Agreed... Max Talbot... that is all.

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
It's called hockey. All teams do this , its not like they put on a flyers jersey and all of a sudden they learn to hit people , slash, hack etc etc.

pronger simmonds, schenn, hartnell, all played with other teams before the flyers

It certainly may be part of the game, but the Flyers are notoriously known for being worse than most others in the league. There's a reason why I said that, it's not some correlation I randomly drew. You also missed my point, just because that list of players may have played elsewhere does not mean they were not dirty players prior to joining the flyers; the team just attracts that type of player, always have and always will. I never said there was anything wrong with that style of play, the flyers are extremely good at that brand of hockey...it's just that what happened in the last bolts/flyers game is to be expected.

Last edited:

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
6 games.. really that's your sample size?

Marty scored the game winning goal in Tampa's first ever playoff series, coincidence out of Richards, Stamkos, Lecavalier and St.louis the team goes the furthest in the playoffs when St.louis has his biggest and 2nd biggest regular season careers highs? Coincidence that last year was St.louis off year and Tampa takes a nose dive into the standings? Or when St.louis calls out the lightning team as a whole 2 years ago and then win back to back games.

Vinny is one of my favorite players but he's definitely not the heart and soul of this team, he's taken 12 years to finally play with this passion we're seeing this season.

Man have you forgotten what Lecavalier looked like the 2 years after that 92 point season? He floated 90% of his shifts, wouldn't battle anything in the corners and was completely disinterested.

I watched St.louis go all out every season since he came to this team, he never took years off like Lecavalier and 6 games isn't really enough to change my mind. And really you're the first lightning fan I've ever seen on this forum say anyone on this team plays with more heart and soul then MSL.

Agreed... Max Talbot... that is all.

Despite a run of bad games here and there, I've also seen Vinny play with passion on numerous occasions in past seasons and play through injuries and sacrifice himself for the team. My intent wasn't to insult MSL, nor did I but you seemed to draw that conclusion on your own. I simply made my original comment because I took issue with someone questioning Vinny as our leader and captain, that they knew more than the coaching staff and the organization. IMHO, some of Vinny's poor play came as a result of organization instability, where his unknown future with the club could have affected the mental aspect of his game.

When did I question Marty's heart? I said he used to work harder than everyone on the ice...I was simply suggesting that Pyatt is now the team's hardest worker, game in and out. I'll reiterate, for me Marty is one who leads by example on the ice. Everything you just listed about Marty is visible for us to see; perhaps I misused the term heartbeat of this team (as it does not fit with what I've been describing of Lecavalier), but Vinny has intangibles that the coaching staff sees that Marty clearly does not. When I said heartbeat, I meant what Vinny represents to the organization as a whole (I never said he was the heart and soul by the way). Instead of questioning Vinny's drive and determination as captain, I think he should be afforded the benefit of doubt since we don't know first hand of how he leads without being in the dressing room, on the bench or even on the ice. For me, leadership goes beyond a spark tiger your team going or points accumulated in a season.

We didn't suck last year because Marty had an off year, we sucked because we couldn't defend. Or have you forgotten the amount of goals Roloson conceded last season on < 20 shots per game? Or the fact that our defense continually found themselves out of position for most of the year and often left our goaltenders exposed, especially on SH breakaways?

Last edited:

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
It certainly may be part of the game, but the Flyers are notoriously known for being worse than most others in the league. There's a reason why I said that, it's not some correlation I randomly drew. You also missed my point, just because that list of players may have played elsewhere does not mean they were not dirty players prior to joining the flyers; the team just attracts that type of player, always have and always will. I never said there was anything wrong with that style of play, the flyers are extremely good at that brand of hockey...it's just that what happened in the last bolts/flyers game is to be expected.

Have you seen the Atlantic division? Your team better be ready to rough mofos up to claw to the top of that division. I take it the southeast isn't the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad