2014 draft

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nylander is squarely a top 5 pick in that draft today. Ekblad,Draisaitl,Ehlers,Larkin and Nylander. Top 3 pick if you think Larkin,Ehlers and Nylander are basically even. Nice pick

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Your forgetting the 2nd and 3rd best players from that draft

Brayden Point and David Pastranak

Nylander is 5th to 8th in a redraft
Yes i did didn’t i ha. I wonder what ever happened to Johnathan Mcleod that TBay picked 22 spots before point :)
They got lucky. Willy still ranks right up there with them all. Needs a career year this coming season to close the gap some

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Was Nylander a Dubas pick?
I always thought it was shanahan because nonis is the most risk-aversive person. Nonis drafted gauthier and made so many low risk, low/negative reward moves (2nd for holland, 2nds for bolland, etc). I always suspected that when shanahan came in, he had nonis on a tight leash and probably over-rode a lot of nonis’ decisions.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nonis/Shanny (depending on who you want to give credit to)

it sure as hell wasn't nonis. He and Burke never selected from anywhere but NA in their drafts in the 1st 2 rounds, i have no doubt he wanted Ritchie/Perlini/Larkin (larkin wouldn't have been a bad pick with hindsight but i prefer nylander)

Edit: In fact the leafs as an organization didnt select a European player in the top 2 rounds since Kulemin 2nd round 2006. Oops didnt look at that draft properly Tlusty in the 1st round

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
it sure as hell wasn't nonis. He and Burke never selected from anywhere but NA in their drafts in the 1st 2 rounds, i have no doubt he wanted Ritchie/Perlini/Larkin (larkin wouldn't have been a bad pick with hindsight but i prefer nylander)
I don't think it would be Shanny either who had/has zero scouting experience.

Nonis did a lot of things wrong but draft wise he only had 2 drafts he ran. He mostly sucked at trades (Holland, Bernier, Bolland) and did terrible Signings for UFAs (Clarkson, Nearly screwed us with Bolland and Franson)

2013 he screwed up with Gauthier but 2014 was a good draft for the leafs as a whole. I don't know who specifically wanted Nylander over Ehlers(who also playd in NA in the Q), Larkin, Fiala etc but I'm sure Nonis had a part in that decision as he was the GM for the full 2015 season with Shanny wasting a year of the rebuild by not tanking for the McDavid Draft class.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Nonis actually said that Shanahan knew his father and how talented Willy is, so he pushed hard to pick him, so definitely Shanny's
Knowing a father wouldn't have been enough to draf a player. The scouting team and GM had to be comfortable with having Nylander as a viable option otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job and simply catering to the president.

Shanahan was getting major fluff treatment back then with every positive change in the organization being directed his way. He's never been involved in the draft process (didn't hear his name be cited under Hunter/Lou nor Dubas now)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Knowing a father wouldn't have been enough to draf a player. The scouting team and GM had to be comfortable with having Nylander as a viable option otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job and simply catering to the president.

Shanahan was getting major fluff treatment back then with every positive change in the organization being directed his way. He's never been involved in the draft process (didn't hear his name be cited under Hunter/Lou nor Dubas now)

I think there were questions about Nylander's character, and Shanahan investigated that personally, I don't think he was making any of the calls talent-wise.

At least this is my recollection of events.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
At this point I think that this might be the most successful draft that the Leafs have had in years.

Nylander
Ritchie
Ho-Sang
Amadio
Bunting
Engval
Kase
Kampf

Pretty impressive amateur scouting in my opinion.

I know. Stupid thread. It's late August and I have COVID. Leave me alone.

Edit: Yes I'm double vaccinated. #delta

Ugh. Delta. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
At this point I think that this might be the most successful draft that the Leafs have had in years.

Nylander
Ritchie
Ho-Sang
Amadio
Bunting
Engval
Kase
Kampf

Pretty impressive amateur scouting in my opinion.

I know. Stupid thread. It's late August and I have COVID. Leave me alone.

Edit: Yes I'm double vaccinated. #delta
Some people don’t get your joke man lol. They actually get it but just try acting smart. Unreal how much humour has become lost on these things

Reactions: Lauro

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think it would be Shanny either who had/has zero scouting experience.

Nonis did a lot of things wrong but draft wise he only had 2 drafts he ran. He mostly sucked at trades (Holland, Bernier, Bolland) and did terrible Signings for UFAs (Clarkson, Nearly screwed us with Bolland and Franson)

2013 he screwed up with Gauthier but 2014 was a good draft for the leafs as a whole. I don't know who specifically wanted Nylander over Ehlers(who also playd in NA in the Q), Larkin, Fiala etc but I'm sure Nonis had a part in that decision as he was the GM for the full 2015 season with Shanny wasting a year of the rebuild by not tanking for the McDavid Draft class.

I suspect once Shanahan was hired Nonis wasn't allowed to staple two pieces of paper together without permission

The 2014 draft was likely a situation of Bergman in Sweden pushing for his guy, and the rest of the front office accepting his judgement. Worth noting the only other asset from that draft was Engvall, another kid from Bergman's back yard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad