2014 draft

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At this point I think that this might be the most successful draft that the Leafs have had in years.

Nylander
Ritchie
Ho-Sang
Amadio
Bunting
Engval
Kase
Kampf

Pretty impressive amateur scouting in my opinion.

I know. Stupid thread. It's late August and I have COVID. Leave me alone.

Edit: Yes I'm double vaccinated. #delta

Though there is an interesting trend here. When it came to the depth additions this year, management is focused on young guys just entering their primes rather than older vets, which is exactly what guys from that draft class are doing now.

Reactions: Lauro and ToneDog

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
At this point I think that this might be the most successful draft that the Leafs have had in years.

Nylander
Ritchie
Ho-Sang
Amadio
Bunting
Engval
Kase
Kampf

Hey if there was a Leaf game tomorrow you could go. Vaccinated people don’t need to show proof of a negative test to go to a Leaf game. Only the non vaccinated need to show proof. :) Get better quick leafer

Reactions: namttebih

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Nylander
Ritchie
Ho-Sang
Amadio
Bunting
Engval
Kase
Kampf

Get well soon. Sorry to hear you are sick.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Nylander
Ritchie
Ho-Sang
Amadio
Bunting
Engval
Kase
Kampf

Take one dose 25000 IU Vitamin D3, 50 mg zinc, and a bag of clementines. I'm usually well in 24-36 hours.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Was Nylander a Dubas pick?
The draft was in June and Dubas was not hired until July. So it was not a Dubas pick.

Was it Shanahan or Nonis? I believe that there was an interview where Shanahan was asked about his involvement at that draft. He said that he did not intervene, other than to direct that the Leafs prioritize skill in the first round. Shanahan went on to say that when they were picking the choice was between Nylander and Ehlers and it was pretty much a coin flip.

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Was Nylander a Dubas pick?
Dubas made the comment once that Thommie Bergman (or Swedish scout who finds all the late round talent) was so adament that we took Nylander that they were genuinely afraid he was going to quit if they didn't take him in that spot.

Reactions: ACC1224

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
One thing is for certain, had Nylander busted it would be a Nonis pick 100%.
not really. there were plenty of reports nonis wanted ritchie but Shanny who knew Michael and understood willy was misunderstood went with william.
Too lazy to dig em up but they were out there within weeks of us drafting willy.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
Knowing a father wouldn't have been enough to draf a player. The scouting team and GM had to be comfortable with having Nylander as a viable option otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job and simply catering to the president.

not being a smartass but 1995 comes to mind ... leafs selected 21 game nhler jeff ware (scored 1 point) at 15 overall .. bill watters admitted the pick was a favour to dad ............

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
not really. there were plenty of reports nonis wanted ritchie but Shanny who knew Michael and understood willy was misunderstood went with william.
Too lazy to dig em up but they were out there within weeks of us drafting willy.
Shanahan had a tendency to pre-empt. He said the rumors that nylander was selfish were untrue. It kind of makes sense why these rumors existed as there are other rumors that michael nylander may not have been easy to deal with.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I would like to say that I think that this off-season has been slightly underrated. As mentioned, bringing in a bunch of guys that are entering their primes and that are guys that need to prove it, could result in some healthy competition.

Reactions: Zonk

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I think Willy or Ehlers were pretty much a coin flip at our spot.
Honestly, in some alternate reality, we took Ehlers who took a team friendly deal which set up a trend of pay-cuts for our big three. We then spent that extra money and went all in in the North Division bringingnin Seth Jones and winning the cup narrowly over Tampa Bay.
:heart:

Ok back to bed with me. I’m dreaming

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly, in some alternate reality, we took Ehlers who took a team friendly deal which set up a trend of pay-cuts for our big three. We then spent that extra money and went all in in the North Division bringingnin Seth Jones and winning the cup narrowly over Tampa Bay.
:heart:

Ok back to bed with me. I’m dreaming
In my version, they actually picked Willie but somehow managed to pick Point in the later rounds.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad