Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2021 offseason part 2: Draft Thurs 4/29 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m basically of the opinion that if you’re about to sign your QB to a monster contract you should use your first rounder on a position that is traditionally very expensive so for the next 4 years he ain’t making shit. But if there is no corner or end worth picking there I don’t know what they can really do about that.

I will say I’m for WR over RB. Two of their top 3 are old and one is on a one year deal. I’d much rather have the passing game ready to keep rolling for years than use that asset on a running back I don’t even want to use much.

all of that said...Beane has earned my trust enough that if he says it’s a RB they’re missing to take the next step...sure. If Daboll told him he has so many more creative plays he can unleash if he had a home run threat to get into space at Rb....sure.

basically do whatever you want. You won 13 games and 2 playoff games last year. Who am I?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I’m basically of the opinion that if you’re about to sign your QB to a monster contract you should use your first rounder on a position that is traditionally very expensive so for the next 4 years he ain’t making shit. But if there is no corner or end worth picking there I don’t know what they can really do about that.

I will say I’m for WR over RB. Two of their top 3 are old and one is on a one year deal. I’d much rather have the passing game ready to keep rolling for years than use that asset on a running back I don’t even want to use much.

all of that said...Beane has earned my trust enough that if he says it’s a RB they’re missing to take the next step...sure. If Daboll told him he has so many more creative plays he can unleash if he had a home run threat to get into space at Rb....sure.

basically do whatever you want. You won 13 games and 2 playoff games last year. Who am I?

id consider Gabriel Davis and diggs still young

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
id consider Gabriel Davis and diggs still young

Sanders and Beasley aren’t. They could be without their 2 and 3 after this year. No scenario of relying on Davis, drafting a rookie or another aging vet as the way to fill out your group in the middle of your window appeals to me as much as being prepared to keep your most important thing going.

Reactions: kirby11

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sanders and Beasley aren’t. They could be without their 2 and 3 after this year. No scenario of relying on Davis, drafting a rookie or another aging vet as the way to fill out your group in the middle of your window appeals to me as much as being prepared to keep your most important thing going.

I'm really wanting one of Bateman or Elijah Moore to drop to us at or near 30. I trust McD/the Bills being the CB University of the NFL to coach up whatever DB they get in the 2nd or 3rd. Keep the passing game rolling. Don't turn into the Packers where they have 1 elite WR and assorted layers of trash (though Tonyan's a pretty good TE). The way they've largely wasted Rodgers' career by refusing to get guys to adequately replace the likes of Nelson, Cobb, Jones, etc, and their last draft in particular, is a prime example of football malpractice.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

This is exactly why I thought the Sanders signing was so strange. My offseason plan was to cut Brown & replace him via the draft.

The problem is - you draft a R1 receiver on top of Diggs, Davis, Beasley, Sanders & McKenzie - how do you give each guy enough snaps?

It's a similar story at EDGE with Hughes, Addison, Obada, Epenesa & Johnson in the fold.

This is why i think they should target guys likely to get more snaps right away. CB2, 1T DT, OG, etc.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I'm really wanting one of Bateman or Elijah Moore to drop to us at or near 30. I trust McD/the Bills being the CB University of the NFL to coach up whatever DB they get in the 2nd or 3rd. Keep the passing game rolling. Don't turn into the Packers where they have 1 elite WR and assorted layers of trash (though Tonyan's a pretty good TE). The way they've largely wasted Rodgers' career by refusing to get guys to adequately replace the likes of Nelson, Cobb, Jones, etc, and their last draft in particular, is a prime example of football malpractice.

Would love Bateman. I heard Baltimore and Green Bay are looking there so...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
RBs have the shortest career spans of any position in football. Unless you've got a blue chip prospect on your board, and every down type of back, then just go with a different position. Or sign a free agent to a short term contract.

The Pats and Steelers shuttle RBs through the organization rapidly. TB brought in a free agent. KC won the SB without name backs.

Pick another position.

I view RBs in the NFL Draft like goalies in the NHL Draft. Sure, you can take one in the first round and hit a home run. But, taking one in the first round is rarely a great idea.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The league is about trends and counter trends. What’s hot now won’t be tomorrow. Right now, KC and Buffalo style passing attacks are the rage. But defensive coaches are pouring over last season’s film.

Here’s my big takeaway from last season: teams with power running games played better than their overall talent level.

KC proved to be really susceptible to a power run game. Tampa was too, but teams didn’t commit to the run against them. Tampa’s run game was a tremendous counter balance to defenses trying to load up against Brady.

For that reason, if the Bills took a RB, I’d want Harris. A home run hitter is nice, but a power bell cow back like Harris puts defenses in a dilemma. And that’s a far greater competitive advantage than a speed back.

even so, I’d wait to see who drops to the 2nd. Williams from UNC is the same type of back.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Mostly agree.

The one caveat I would add is that if you (a) love a RB; and (b) have plans to use that RB extensively in the passing game (to the point where their role is as much WR as it is RB), then I think it can be worth it. I'm talking like Kamara and McCaffrey types. Otherwise I jsut don't see the worth, even for a Zeke or Henry caliber player.
You take those players if you don't have a top-flight QB and WR corps and only if you want to run a feature-back offense. Draft the positions in Rd1 which will be involved in more plays - QB, linemen, CB, - who coincidentally also have longer careers. I agree.

Anyone else feel like a kid on christmas eve tonight?
Wife and I were talking last night and we're really excited because this draft is wide open after the first pick.

Reactions: kirby11

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I view RBs in the NFL Draft like goalies in the NHL Draft. Sure, you can take one in the first round and hit a home run. But, taking one in the first round is rarely a great idea.

I think it's a bad analogy on a number of levels... But if you are stacked at F/D but have nothing at G - then taking a goalie makes a lot of sense.

I don't have any interest in Harris or Williams though. If either dropped to 61 they would be good picks but i don't like the value at 30. Neither have the potential to be an elite difference maker. ETN does.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Players I would like to target early

WR: Rashod Bateman
Kadarius Toney

Guard: Aaron Banks

DT: Alim McNeil

DE: Jaelan Phillips
Payton Turner

CB: Eric Stokes
Caleb Farley

I really like the idea of Banks or McNeil. Dominate in the middle of the field. Banks moved to left tackle at one point and was fine. Monster guy looks a lot like Brandon Brooks.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think McNeil is the only realistic guy everyone in this thread would be happy with. :laugh:

Would need to be a trade back from 30 or possibly a trade up from 61 though.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This is exactly why I thought the Sanders signing was so strange. My offseason plan was to cut Brown & replace him via the draft.

The problem is - you draft a R1 receiver on top of Diggs, Davis, Beasley, Sanders & McKenzie - how do you give each guy enough snaps?

It's a similar story at EDGE with Hughes, Addison, Obada, Epenesa & Johnson in the fold.

This is why i think they should target guys likely to get more snaps right away. CB2, 1T DT, OG, etc.

If they take any of the positions you listed if they stay in R1, I'd be relatively happy. Wouldn't mind an edge rusher, either, if Ojulari or Paye fell. Hopefully with a more normal offseason, a rookie from this year could make a bigger impact than Epenesa in a shorter amount of time.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I think McNeil is the only realistic guy everyone in this thread would be happy with. :laugh:

Yeah, I have no idea how they figure out where he goes but if they feel a good chance to get him 10 picks later trade back as long as you have a few guys in a tier.

Unless Bateman drops I probably trade back as I have McNeil, Banks, Stokes, Turner all as similar value to guys going after 25.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If they take any of the positions you listed if they stay in R1, I'd be relatively happy. Wouldn't mind an edge rusher, either, if Ojulari or Paye fell. Hopefully with a more normal offseason, a rookie from this year could make a bigger impact than Epenesa in a shorter amount of time.

Any EDGE is going to be fighting tooth & nail for snaps. Hughes/Addison are established starters, Obada is under rated & can be an impact player, they are are not giving up on Epenesa & Johnson has untapped potential.

Couple that with the fact that every player in this class is flawed... Makes too much sense to focus on the position next offseason.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Yeah, I have no idea how they figure out where he goes but if they feel a good chance to get him 10 picks later trade back as long as you have a few guys in a tier.

Unless Bateman drops I probably trade back as I have McNeil, Banks, Stokes, Turner all as similar value to guys going after 25.

They might not be in on him at all.

I'd hate the Bateman pick. We have Diggs/Davis for the forseeable future. Don't see the fit at all.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think it's a bad analogy on a number of levels... But if you are stacked at F/D but have nothing at G - then taking a goalie makes a lot of sense.

I think that perfect storm falls into the "rarely" category.

Florida taking Knight over Caufield is an example where a team could hit a home run on a 1st round goalie and it still not being an ideal pick in hindsight.

The same thing might happen with Nashville taking Askarov last year with Lundell and Jarvis still on the board.

I don't have any interest in Harris or Williams though. If either dropped to 61 they would be good picks but i don't like the value at 30. Neither have the potential to be an elite difference maker. ETN does.

It will be interesting to see who is there at 30. Etienne might be a solid pick. The fact that the Bills are picking so late in the 1st makes it more likely that a RB that you feel can be a game changer being worth the pick.

I also wonder if the Bills might look at a trade back for a future 1st.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think that perfect storm falls into the "rarely" category.

Florida taking Knight over Caufield is an example where a team could hit a home run on a 1st round goalie and it still not being an ideal pick in hindsight.

The same thing might happen with Nashville taking Askarov last year with Lundell and Jarvis still on the board.

It will be interesting to see who is there at 30. Etienne might be a solid pick. The fact that the Bills are picking so late in the 1st makes it more likely that a RB that you feel can be a game changer being worth the pick.

I also wonder if the Bills might look at a trade back for a future 1st.

Knight would have been a fine pick if they didn't just sign Bob long term. I was also OK with Askarov - the only criticism you could make is that they weren't strong at C.

I've been talking up the trade back for a long time. You aren't going to get a future R1 unless you trade the pick outright... But I'm all for acquiring extra capital for next year's draft given how complete this year's roster is. I've been high on that in these threads but again - it's not a popular opinion.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
They might not be in on him at all.

I'd hate the Bateman pick. We have Diggs/Davis for the forseeable future. Don't see the fit at all.

I believe in Gabe Davis as much as I believed in Singletary a year ago.

Bateman looks Calvin Ridleyish to me..easy call.

Shouldn't matter I think he's gone anyway before we pick.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I’m not sure Id be happy with McNeil. The people I listen to have beaten it into me that he’s not actually a first round talent :laugh:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Any EDGE is going to be fighting tooth & nail for snaps. Hughes/Addison are established starters, Obada is under rated & can be an impact player, they are are not giving up on Epenesa & Johnson has untapped potential.

Couple that with the fact that every player in this class is flawed... Makes too much sense to focus on the position next offseason.
Yes, but remember that Beane explicitly said they might use their first on a guy to replace someone who is in their contract year. Hughes and Addison are both in their contract years. Epenesa is the only DE signed long term. That line screamed DE at 30 to me (and maybe whispered C and WR).

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yes, but remember that Beane explicitly said they might use their first on a guy to replace someone who is in their contract year. Hughes and Addison are both in their contract years. Epenesa is the only DE signed long term. That line screamed DE at 30 to me (and maybe whispered C and WR).

what it whispered to me is I have no idea what they will do haha. But I agree, my guess is they want one day-one playmaker drafted today or tomorrow, but the rest of the picks are players that need a 1-2 years to be NFL ready, and will be replacing our older position groups. To me that is OL, DL, and DBs in general. If they go that route in the first round (and get their playmaker tomorrow), my guess is Edge or Interior OL, maybe a DB

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I know what Beane said. But it doesn't make sense to waste a year of development & more importantly a year of rookie contract. As said before - the one guy I'd see the logic in is Oweh because he's so raw & has such a high ceiling. Taking him 'a year early' makes sense.

McNeil would be bad value at 30. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. He (literally) fills a need & is a great fit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad