Prospect Info: C/W Jiri Kulich, 28th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft; recalled 11/25/23, assigned 11/29/23

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
At 28 I agree and think he was a steal.

I wasn't a fan of the 16 pick, I felt Adams drafted the wrong Swede who's name started with O.

But Kulich made me feel much better about the draft.

I found that if I imagine it went:

9.) Savoie
16.) Kulich
28.) Ostlund

I feel pretty good.
That’s pretty much exactly where I am. ostlund has risen in rankings and discussion leading into tonight and clearly did with their scouts as well…so hey…they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt with me.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
At 28 I agree and think he was a steal.

I wasn't a fan of the 16 pick, I felt Adams drafted the wrong Swede who's name started with O.

But Kulich made me feel much better about the draft.

I found that if I imagine it went:

9.) Savoie
16.) Kulich
28.) Ostlund

I feel pretty good.

Based on what I've seen a bunch of people saying (seen like 5+ posters talk up Ostlund as a steal, most not Sabres fans either) and how each player is described, I'd have to disagree at the moment.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Based on what I've seen a bunch of people saying (seen like 5+ posters talk up Ostlund as a steal, most not Sabres fans either) and how each player is described, I'd have to disagree at the moment.
I like the player and he gives me all the things I want…I just had a few people I liked more that were available. Then they took the guy I liked most next and when I look at the three picks as a collective I genuinely can not believe how much compete, skill, intelligence at speed they just injected into this pool

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland

To add, most people here seem to think Savoie was a great pick with high end skill, seen a bunch of people say we got Kulich later then he should have gone, and I'm reading some exciting things about Ostlund.

Pretty hyped with the picks so far. Wouldn't hate another good F if they're there but maybe take the best D tomorrow. Somehow getting Hutson would seem pretty nice.

Reactions: Reddawg

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I’d like to see him come to the CHL and tear it up in Cape Breton.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Analytics-driven draft from GMKA. Such a breath of fresh air to draft guys (where I go, wait who?) and then hear the professionals gush about how much they like a player and how this is a steal, etc. Sure beats the Alex Nylander days and drafting the flashy player with red flags, or drafting the sure-fire 'grinder' in the 1st round.
Do we know this was data driven?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He has elite “I don’t care about any of this dog and pony show I’d like to play hockey now” vibes
He is also honest about not wanting to play center because he doesn't want the defensive responsibility.

:laugh:

I like this pick in this spot. He could be a good mix of Peterka, Quinn, and Girgensons down the road.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
I am with Ace as well. I was hoping for him at #16 and then yelled when he was taken at #28. Such a great pick and great value.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Any comparison to NHL players? Because I only saw a comparison with Patrik Elias on the Sabres website and somewhere in the comments I saw a comparison with Bo Horvat.

TunaBoss44

Oct 30, 2015
Buffalo
This feels like a pick we could see in Rochester pretty quickly.

I don't think I'd be against him playing there this year. He's used to playing against men in the Czech league and we have a couple Czechs already in Rochester for him to grow with

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Just catching up on videos and I saw Kris Baker talking about the Sabres pick at 16 when they were a few picks away and he brings up Kulich as a guy who might be the best player on the board already so if he’s there at 16 they could jump on it.

get out of my brain

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
It's been reported he wants to play in the NHL next season. The best plan to achieve that, imo, is for him to play with Cape Breton in the Q, since they drafted him 3rd in the Import draft, dominate the league, and then sign at the end of the season. It would also probably be best for his development path, with the smaller ice surface and a better development league than Czechia

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
To me it is like we drafted a 2nd Peterka but with a better bomb😀 Really like the pick. He was a beast at the U18s and really willed Czechia on with some huge clutch goals.

Reactions: old kummelweck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad