Prospect Info: C/W Jiri Kulich, 28th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft; recalled 11/25/23, assigned 11/29/23

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It's been reported he wants to play in the NHL next season. The best plan to achieve that, imo, is for him to play with Cape Breton in the Q, since they drafted him 3rd in the Import draft, dominate the league, and then sign at the end of the season. It would also probably be best for his development path, with the smaller ice surface and a better development league than Czechia

As someone who lives in a QMJHL city and can go see him in-person when CB comes to town.. I approve this message

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I know people were upset with Joe Marino's Leinonen take from Dev Camp, but on his most recent podcast episode he was pumping Kulich's tires.

One of the things he mentioned is that Kulich has a really heavy shot and it is NHL calibre today. He mentioned how when Kulich missed the net with a shot the sound of the puck hitting the boards was different and it sounded like the boards were having a hard time taking the shot.

The few clips I saw of Kulich backed it up. He kind of gives me ZG+VO vibes. He has the grit+defensive awareness+positional flexibility of ZG and the elite level shot of VO.

I am really happy that he fell to Buffalo at 28.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Congrats Sabres.

I've been obsessively watching this guy since december and had him in my top10.

At 28 it's gonna be one of the steals of this draft.
reminds me of Paul Stastny, scouting reports compare Horvat and Gourde

He will also need some time in Rochester though

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Do we know this was data driven?
In my opinion, the entire list is data driven. GMKA mentioned in an interview, that they look at analytics for every player, in order to gauge if they are in agreement with someone, or that it contradicts what the scouts may be seeing, so, yeah, I think it was data driven.

Reactions: Irving Zisman

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
In my opinion, the entire list is data driven. GMKA mentioned in an interview, that they look at analytics for every player, in order to gauge if they are in agreement with someone, or that it contradicts what the scouts may be seeing, so, yeah, I think it was data driven.
The way Forton talked after the draft, it appears that the Sabres list was a combination of the scouts and the analytics team.

Forton talked about the debate process when the scouts liked a guy and the analytics weren't good and vice versa. And he also talked about how the analytics guys would tip the scouts off to a guy that the numbers were good and they didn't have any viewings. And there were times that the scouts went and looked at those types of guys and they were in agreement that he was a prospect that looked good, on top of having the good numbers.

Blending live scouting, video scouting, and analytics is the way of the future to try and come up with the best list of guys they want as possible.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
They definitely talked about it that way.

I guess my question was more directed at the comment being in this thread specifically, wondering if there was something about this pick that made the original person I quoted, write what they wrote. I think Chayka said something about him shooting a lot, then said the word 'analytics' and wasn't sure if it was a reference to that.

Reactions: sabres4ever

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
They definitely talked about it that way.

I guess my question was more directed at the comment being in this thread specifically, wondering if there was something about this pick that made the original person I quoted, write what they wrote. I think Chayka said something about him shooting a lot, then said the word 'analytics' and wasn't sure if it was a reference to that.
Understood.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

It’s going to be an interesting call on Kulich no matter what they decide.

He has decent size already, and he played against men most of this past season. I could see them going that route if they don't feel the Czech league is the best place for him.

Although EP does show him as having a contract for 22/23 and being in the Czech league :huh:

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The way Forton talked after the draft, it appears that the Sabres list was a combination of the scouts and the analytics team.

Forton talked about the debate process when the scouts liked a guy and the analytics weren't good and vice versa. And he also talked about how the analytics guys would tip the scouts off to a guy that the numbers were good and they didn't have any viewings. And there were times that the scouts went and looked at those types of guys and they were in agreement that he was a prospect that looked good, on top of having the good numbers.

Blending live scouting, video scouting, and analytics is the way of the future to try and come up with the best list of guys they want as possible.

Yeah, I took away from it that the analytics shop is helping the scouting side of the shop hone their viewings from that interview and then when they had disagreement on guys, they would work through the eye test vs. numbers test together. It's cool that they might actually be using their stat guys to help direct where to focus their viewing.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Still thinking Cape Breton and then join the Amerks at the end of the year after the CHL season is done will be the path this year.
That was my first thought. Going to dominate the Q is never a bad idea. But I wonder if he comes to camp and plays in a way where they just say…maybe going from men to kids for a full year isn’t the best path for him the way he looks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That was my first thought. Going to dominate the Q is never a bad idea. But I wonder if he comes to camp and plays in a way where they just say…maybe going from men to kids for a full year isn’t the best path for him the way he looks.

I'm still not a fan of putting teenagers in the AHL.

Reactions: jmelm

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm still not a fan of putting teenagers in the AHL.
I don’t know why they don’t use it more…and I think that will change given the ridiculous depth of prospect coming at forward…but why not Cincinnati? Then he can work his way up to the AHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t know why they don’t use it more…and I think that will change given the ridiculous depth of prospect coming at forward…but why not Cincinnati? Then he can work his way up to the AHL.

ECHL is know for the lack of structured play - it's why it works for goalie development but is so much more rare for non-fist-eaters to come up through there. The AHL is more structured than the Coast and the NHL is more structured than the AHL. I'd rather he stay in Czechia than come over for the Coast.

Reactions: Sabreality

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
yeah I never want to see a top skater prospect in the ECHL, its still half full of knuckle draggers, those cities want to sell tix, and those crowds still eat up the goonery.

Reactions: Chainshot

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Cape Breton. Work on developing skills at C. Score, kill penalties. Play a lot of games. He can sign an APO if the Amerks make the playoffs. Win win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad