London Knights 2023-2024 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

London Knights’ Landon Sim’s Suspension From OHL is Excessive​

May 14, 2024 by Ethan Carter
As the London Knights continue to battle and win the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) Finals, they’ve been without center (and St. Louis Blues prospect) Landon Sim since Game 6 of the OHL Conference Finals. He received a five-game suspension after an “on-ice incident.” The Knights are up 3-0 in the finals against the Oshawa Generals and Sim won’t return unless a Game 5 is forced. There’s a lot of back-and-forth discussion about what happened, but it seems the OHL offices only want to take one side of the story into account.
Let’s get into why this is a rough decision from the OHL that has sparked controversy throughout the sport.

Sim’s Words on the Ice Lead to Suspension​

This alleged incident took place in a series against the Saginaw Spirit in the conference finals. Sim’s agent, Andrew Maloney alleges that a Spirit defenseman threatened to break Sim’s shoulder (an injured shoulder) after he made contact with a forward during warm-ups. This led to an alleged response from Sim, saying “No you won’t; you’re too much of a p—y to do that

Reactions: TheCoach

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Well, for fear of being suspended by King Branch, Laxdal sounded like a total Sylvester during his post game conference.
How can a team play for such a Morris? I wouldn't be able to look him in the eyes without thinking "You are such a Garfield".

Reactions: zman77 and TheCoach

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I’m curious as to the specific plays or incidents where you feel Laxdal Was so badly out coached by Hunter last night.
Laxdals been outcoached the entire series. It's not specific plays, it's based on overall performance.

Game 1, blown out 8-1. Laxdal needs to rally the troops, Hunter needs to have his team stay focused. What happened in game 2? A bigger blow out. Hunter kept his players focused, Laxdal shit the bed.

Game 3, Laxdals team comes out flying, builds a 3-0 lead in front of the home crowd and then matches London goal for goal (+1) until the end of the second. Third period all he had to do was go into a defensive shell, fans were saying this in game 1and 2... now, I don't expect Laxdal to take his coaching cues from a message board, but holy crap.. do SOMETHING. ESPECIALLY after your team blew a 3 goal lead in the third period at home to the same team a few months ago. Laxdal literally learned nothing. People want to blame it on the inexperience of the team, or blame the refs, but as a coach Laxdal needs to be better than he has. Bottom line, Hunters team has responded, Laxdals hasn't.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Laxdals been outcoached the entire series. It's not specific plays, it's based on overall performance.

Game 1, blown out 8-1. Laxdal needs to rally the troops, Hunter needs to have his team stay focused. What happened in game 2? A bigger blow out. Hunter kept his players focused, Laxdal shit the bed.

Game 3, Laxdals team comes out flying, builds a 3-0 lead in front of the home crowd and then matches London goal for goal (+1) until the end of the second. Third period all he had to do was go into a defensive shell, fans were saying this in game 1and 2... now, I don't expect Laxdal to take his coaching cues from a message board, but holy crap.. do SOMETHING. ESPECIALLY after your team blew a 3 goal lead in the third period at home to the same team a few months ago. Laxdal literally learned nothing. People want to blame it on the inexperience of the team, or blame the refs, but as a coach Laxdal needs to be better than he has. Bottom line, Hunters team has responded, Laxdals hasn't.
Amen.

Reactions: zman77 and TheCoach

crowncarrier

My father hung me on a hook once....once.
Apr 10, 2015
Which is funny, considering a few short months ago...
It seems that Kasper likes playing the Generals.

It's his job to deflect the loss on anyone other then himself a d his team...its what he's supposed to do so don't be to surprised. But like Dale said before....its a no no to say anything bad about the refs.

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
The fans too. Imagine being in the building. You’re back in the series. A ton of confidence, and then in comes a swift kick in the groin.
Awful feeling....

I’m curious as to the specific plays or incidents where you feel Laxdal Was so badly out coached by Hunter last night.
Why didn't he try trapping in the third. 6-2 lead and your not implementing defence first is shocking especially against a team like the Knights.

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015
FYI I believe the only league that mandates NHL or back to there league is the CHL. NCAA, Europe, US Junior etc all allow a drafted player to play wherever they choose to basically once drafted?
Do you think this rule hinders player recruitment for the CHL teams?
Not at all when considering the CHL is the largest artery leading to the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buttsy

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

That’s pretty much what I expected - - a trove of generic rhetoric, devoid of any tangible examples of how Laxdal was allegedly “outcoached”.

Citing how Laxdal “didn’t rally the troops” but then acknowledging Oshawa came out flying in the first two periods is a laughable contradiction that defies logic.

Is there absolutely nothing specific that you can point to as an example of him being “outcoached”?

Even if you reached for some minutiae about how Laxdal should have saved his time out for later in the game instead of using it midway through the 3rd period after his fourth line got hemmed in their own zone and took an icing. Or at least criticize him for putting Connor Punnett out to kill penalties when it was obvious he was playing on only one leg.

Laxdal wasn’t the one making the novice coaching mistake of having too many men on the ice. I had to laugh at how long the refs let London play on with SIX (6) players frantically defending - - it was at least 10 to 12 seconds with all six inside the blueline - - before the refs finally decided they had no choice but to make the call and risk facing the wrath of coach Hunter again.

It’s not difficult to see where this bitterness towards Laxdal is coming from. The same place the resentment towards Jake Oster is coming from.

ArielNederland

Jun 21, 2021
That’s pretty much what I expected - - a trove of generic rhetoric, devoid of any tangible examples of how Laxdal was allegedly “outcoached”.

Citing how Laxdal “didn’t rally the troops” but then acknowledging Oshawa came out flying in the first two periods is a laughable contradiction that defies logic.

Is there absolutely nothing specific that you can point to as an example of him being “outcoached”?

Even if you reached for some minutiae about how Laxdal should have saved his time out for later in the game instead of using it midway through the 3rd period after his fourth line got hemmed in their own zone and took an icing. Or at least criticize him for putting Connor Punnett out to kill penalties when it was obvious he was playing on only one leg.

Laxdal wasn’t the one making the novice coaching mistake of having too many men on the ice. I had to laugh at how long the refs let London play on with SIX (6) players frantically defending - - it was at least 10 to 12 seconds with all six inside the blueline - - before the refs finally decided they had no choice but to make the call and risk facing the wrath of coach Hunter again.

It’s not difficult to see where this bitterness towards Laxdal is coming from. The same place the resentment towards Jake Oster is coming from.
Except london doesn't pay the refs. ( see saginaw series) Refs are never perfect so you need to play with the hand you are dealt with. Yes there should have been infractions that were missed and should've been called, but again you play with the hand you have been dealt with. Oshawa lost because they couldn't defend the lead/ they stopped skating. Oster? Had to make key saves for the team but couldn't. THAT is not on the refs.

Reactions: Knights Watcher

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015

This was my response and I'm only taking about game three.

"Why didn't he try trapping in the third. 6-2 lead and your not implementing defence first is shocking especially against a team like the Knights."

As for Oster I haven't seen much resentment on this board. But I've seen alot on yours. Personally I think he's a great goalie that has simply run into a juggernaut of a team with the London Knight. I think he's a great goalie and seems like one heck of a good kid.

Reactions: Knights Watcher

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018

Defend him all you want. IMO he's an idiot. The entire 3rd period is an indictment of his less than stellar coaching. Slow the game down. Play more physical. 4 guys at your blueline to prevent zone entry. Bench 25, a defensive liability. Anything. You had a 3 goal lead with 8 minutes left. Shut it down. That in itself lost the game. So yeah, there are some examples. The minutiae of details you so badly want is encapsulated in the final 8 minutes. And for Godsake stop blaming the refs and look at yourself in the mirror and ask "Did I do enough to give my team the best chance of winning?" The answer is an overwhelming "NO!" I can probably count on one hand how many times Dale has been out coached this season. And on the other hand I can count how many times Lax-a-daisi-dal has been outcoached this series.
1. Not pulling Oster earlier in Game 1
2. Not pulling Oster earlier in Game 2
3. Preaching discipline and not taking dumb penalties Games 1 and 2 with how lethal the LDN PP was playing
4. Playing Punnet way too much in Game 3
5. Thinking that the refs allowing all the hacks, whacks and stickwork alllowed in the first 2 periods was going to continue in the 3rd
6. Not going into a complete defensive shell to star the 3rd period nursing would should have been an insurmountable lead
7. Playing 25 on the PK. Wont hit, slow and poor vision in the defensive zone.
8. Not slowing the game down when the Knights were pressing down by 2 or 1. Ice the puck, or slowly transition out.... Don't go for the home run pass.
9. Thinking that the refs were intimidate by Hunter. FFS that's a flimsy excuse. Each ref has over 15 years of experience. You think they haven't seen and heard it all?
10. Not using your entire bench in the 3rd. Kept trotting out the same 6 forwards and 4 D (including the one legged pirate Punnett) the entire 3rd. A fresh set of legs may have helped clear your D Zone easier when you kept getting hemmed in and maybe added some spark
Enough minutiae for Ya?
But hey, you do you boo. Keep believing in him. It's got you this far in the series.
And as for Oster, the kid is good and he's probably going to be better next season, but there's no denying he's been less than adequate this series. He's the Knights MVP right now. Maybe overworked this season? Who knows. I do know no team is going to win a game with a goalie that has an over 8.00GAA in the series.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbarrou and LDN

Otto

Games are not won or lost based on one play. One coach has shown up this series and it's not Laxdal. What's laughable is that you don't see how bad he's been.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
As much confidence as we have right now and with all the fun we're poking at the Gens, we have to remember that you have to win 4 games. Oshawa has swept one previous series and reeled off 3 straight against NB last series so don't count them out just yet. It's important that the Knights don't fall asleep at the wheel and come out and dictate the style of play. OSH cannot run and gun with LDN so put the pedal to the metal and let's bring it home tomorrow night. And if not, bring it home Friday in front of your home crowd. Either way, can't see London losing 4 in a row, but then again, stranger things have happened.

Games are not won or lost based on one play. One coach has shown up this series and it's not Laxdal. What's laughable is that you don't see how bad he's been.
Amen x2

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I found what Stubbs said today “Do you know how many NHL games played in history where the team led by four in the third that let in 5 straight and lost?…… 20!…. It is extremely rare!”

Read between the lines folks….. Laxdall f’d up! Or….. ok get this……. The 2024 knights are one of the best teams in the history of the game!

Neither answer I’m afraid will appeal to our Oshawa friends visiting our board.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Why didn't he try trapping in the third. 6-2 lead and your not implementing defence first is shocking especially against a team like the Knights.

You didn’t actually watch Game 3, did you?

Because it was blatantly obvious that Oshawa was using ultra conservative defensive play in the 3rd period. Over the last 12mins of regulation time, Oshawa only had three shots. Whenever they managed to get possession, Oshawa was just flipping the puck out and then preparing to weather the next onslaught.

Evidently, you didn’t notice that after London tied the game, Oshawa spent the final 3mins pinned in their own zone desperately trying to hang on until overtime. London came very close to winning the game in regulation.

It’s cute to throw out buzzwords like “why weren’t they trapping” but you can’t exactly “trap” when the puck doesn’t leave your zone.

If you want to criticize Laxdal’s tactics in the 3rd period, it would be for playing too conservative defensively instead of looking to take advantage of a pressing London team and catching them on an odd man rush.

Otto

Because it was blatantly obvious that Oshawa was using ultra conservative defensive play in the 3rd period. Over the last 12mins of regulation time, Oshawa only had three shots. Whenever they managed to get possession, Oshawa was just flipping the puck out and then preparing to weather the next onslaught.

Evidently, you didn’t notice that after London tied the game, Oshawa spent the final 3mins pinned in their own zone desperately trying to hang on until overtime. London came very close to winning the game in regulation.

It’s cute to throw out buzzwords like “why weren’t they trapping” but you can’t exactly “trap” when the puck doesn’t leave your zone.

If you want to criticize Laxdal’s tactics in the 3rd period, it would be for playing too conservative defensively instead of looking to take advantage of a pressing London team and catching them on an odd man rush.
Yes... ultra conservative defense play... that didn't work, because as the world knows a solid trap works far better vs. London, well... the world except Laxdal I guess.

The track record against London isn't good. That falls on the coach. It's cute that you think you can point to one too many men on the ice penalty and think because of that Laxdal isn't being out coached... even though that doesn't fall on Dale900.

Tell.me, what do you think your coaches responsibilities are?

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Tell.me, what do you think your coaches responsibilities are?

Apparently it's to place the blame for the loss on anything and everyone but himself, his staff and his team.

Love the guy that thinks the too many men on the ice penalty was Dale getting out coached by Lazy-dal.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
He would have to make the NHL roster as he is not AHL eligible having been drafted from the CHL. The Leafs do not normally “like” the youngsters (other than Matthew’s or Marner) and Cowan is not on that level imo? So can he make the main roster? I think he goes to the WJC and then gets sent back to London if not earlier?
It may also depend on how many big time players leaving Toronto this summer. They may have room for Cowan on their top six lines

Reactions: Buttsy

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

How? London owned the puck all through the third, never give the Generals a chance, how could they find offence when they didn't have a puck to shoot on net with?

Reactions: LDN

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

And Laxdal isn't the one leading the series 3 games to none either

crowncarrier

Apr 10, 2015

The first paragraph has nothing to do with what I said so on to the second. They were not trapping, there were several times they got the puck deep in London end and instead of sending one guy in and hanging back they chose to press. And the third paragraph. Like I have been saying this entire thread ...Oshawa has had a hard time getting it out of their end and it's costing them. He should have been dealing with that aswell. But if you see it your way all the power to you.

And yes I watched the game....and I enjoyed it very much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad