OT: The all encompassing HFSabres music thread with no rules (as long as it’s music posted)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My 9yo Rick rolls me constantly. It’s funny but also very old already.

My 16-year old will send me things she thinks I might like and things she is enjoying. I do the same back at her. Sometimes we find common ground. Of late she's told me that some of what I listen to is too mellow for her and I get that. It's supposed to be background while I drive or work, not workout tunes or venting energy or whatever. She also finds my younger days as a complete music snob a riot. I admit, I've mellowed - I'm just happy when bands I like are getting paid now even if their work is going into ads or TV shows or movies.

My elder child is more subtle most of the time but he will occasionally just ask what I was listening to but he's often copying things down on the sly.

I do take some quiet glee that both of mine listen to things I have introduced them to, that I've taken them both to their first club show and arena show based on being an influence. I don't know why - my parents didn't influence my musical tastes much I don't think (maybe they did?) so that both of mine are interested in what I'm listening to remains new ground for me.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Abraham de Lacy

The first time I heard this was after an all night out drinking with friends, and we snuck into a fast food joint that is sadly gone now. On the wall was a screen with MTV going, and this came on. Oh man, because you see my heart beats comfortably in the bosom of Keith Moon, Charlie Watts, Ringo Starr and John Bonham … this was so surprising … there really was a future !?!

Riff-o-rama wasn't dead after all! Praise our lord Jim Marshall and the sermons of Gibson and Fender. I've always had a soft spot for prog, blues, even jazz … but an intoxicating satanic mix of great drumming, bass and guitar with pop sensibilities, killer refrains and choruses, is what I live for.

And just because I've recently been on a WHO binge … here is a great example from when I was still in my late teens. No Moon … but does it really matter for such a great song?

Reactions: Dingo44

Abraham de Lacy

Here's something entirely different. This is the Swedish band (yes, I am hyping Swedish bands, get over it) Soundtrack of Our Lives doing the BOMBASTIC “Mantra Slider”. I have no idea what it's about. It is filmed in the Middle East though … which seems kind of crazy in retrospect. It is a killer song however, with awesome over the top drumming, guitar and vocal for all fans of psych and seventies rock. They lived up to the hype in live settings, too. Singer Ebbot in a beard and long caftan, turning events into sermons. Yeah, I saw them three times in my hometown, once I even did it sober. I think of that as an actual achievement.

I have a tendency to want it all, and hit those mysterious spiritual high notes by whatever means possible. Sometimes it works. This gentle lullaby will soothe you:

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I've been really into this new-ish Porter Robinson track lately, saw it described as digital shoegaze and that seems like a fitting categorization:

Also, going to see Paramore in about a week and a half, super stoked for that with what a good live show they put on and This Is Why feeling like a fulfillment of all their previous musical inclinations.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Going to see The Walkmen in a half hour in downtown DC. They went on hiatus in 2013 and just announced they are playing shows again back in December. They are from the DC area and are playing the same 930 Club they played starting out. They sold out four shows and I got Wednesday tickets. Have every album on vinyl.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
We were front row center for The Walkmen the whole show and then our Lyft driver was late so we just ended up meeting almost the whole band outside. Perfect night. ❤️
20230524_214704.jpg

20230524_231736.jpg

Attachments

• 20230524_232406.jpg
    20230524_232406.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 3

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
One of the Beatles best songs, which a lot of people haven't heard because it was released as a B side. Ringo Starr's best drumming.

Speaking of B-sides, this one never appeared on an album either. Released in 1970 as a 45rpm B-side to "The Immigrant Song" (which was included on Zeppelin III). Jimmy Page's best mandolin playing.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I've been a life long fan of the Allman Brothers Band and Gregg Allman's work with his own band. On May 27, 2017, Gregg Allman passed away. As a tribute, I thought I'd post my favorite Gregg Allman song - Ain't Wastin' Time No More.

The song was composed around the time of his brother Duane's death in 1972 - with the structure of the song having been worked out before he died, but the lyrics written afterwards. It's a song about coming to term with the death of a loved one , overcoming the grief, and the need and struggle to carry on. I find the song and lyrics very moving and, as music plays such a big part in my life, I listened to this song many times at the time passing of both my parents as well as during the aftermath of my divorce. "Can't let one precious day slip by" are words from the song that I try to keep in mind in my day to day life.

While this was originally recorded in the aftermath of Duane Allman's death and appeared on the Eat A Peach album, this version is actually Gregg's band from the Back to Macon live album released in 2015.

Edit: Just realized that this song is now over 50 years old. So I'll quote another line from the song - "time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things"

Last edited:

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
These days listening to Metallica is mostly nostalgic for me. I haven’t thought much of their last couple of albums and mostly listen to things up to ReLoad.

But … Blackened has gotta be hands down my favourite Tallica song. That intro with the clip of the reversed guitar riff still can give me goosebumps.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Random music memories...

My parents used to take us on a walk in the evening before bed. One night the moon was bright enough to create silhouettes/shadows of our bodies and my mom sang part of this song. I remember climbing then jumping off these old low window sills made of brick at a former factory. I would have been eight or younger, probably 5-6.

For whatever reason I remember the radio announcing a snow day then this song playing. Given the release date it may have been grade ten.

My mom and her sisters are all musically inclined (piano, guitar and vocalists) so when we went on family camping trips there would be sing-alongs around the campfire. At Christmas we would sing carols before opening presents. They went around the room so everyone had to pick a song they would like to hear. One uncle used to pick the same song every year. When I was in high school or maybe even into early post-secondary if I picked before him then I would select his song because that's what troublemaker high schoolers do, lol.

Through my childhood I was exposed to a lot of The Beach Boys, The Beatles, John Denver, James Taylor, Cat Stevens and Simon & Garfunkel. Mom and I attended a Simon & Garfunkel concert in 2003 which was great and a Beach Boys concert in 2008 which was so-so but maybe bonus points for John Stamos playing drums, lol. I can't sing worth a lick even though I will when I'm alone, don't have the dexterity to play guitar but maybe could drum although I have never explored the instrument. Growing up around so much music may have contributed to my enjoyment of music and live concerts. I have attended 114 concerts and seen 243 bands. Real tours with commercially successful bands. It doesn't include local bands, cover bands, tribute artists/classic albums live, that stuff doesn't make the list. I caught a used drumstick from Atreyu in 2006. I don't care about the band, they were an early opening band at Ozzfest and when it was thrown I simply raised my hand while remaining in my seat and the drumstick went into my hand for a clean catch. Last summer I picked up a Lumineers drumstick off the floor. It was tossed in our direction, the people in front missed it and I don't think I have ever moved that fast in my life to crouch on my knees, grab the drumstick on the ground between someone's leg then stand up. There are no marks on it so it may not be used or the drummer plays a completely different style than Atreyu, which I suppose is possible. As a non-drummer it's difficult to see one chewed to pieces and one pristine and think the pristine one was used throughout the night or at least part of the night since he played two different drum kits. The digital revolution has killed my collection of ticket stubs from events and concerts. I have a ziplock bag for each year an event was attended but whoever finds it when I die will think I actually died years before or became a hermit, lol.

The first band to hit the stage of the first concert I ever attended was System of a Down and I am still a fan of theirs today. I have had the pleasure of seeing them live seven times. The only artist higher than that is Matthew Good who I have seen eight times after he left his band and one other time as Matthew Good Band before the split. His solo acoustic tours are outstanding. I could listen all day to him with an acoustic guitar. One of the more fun concerts was the Up In Smoke tour with Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg performing together as headliners then Eminem, Ice Cube and Warren G opening acts and a few others joining the performers for a song or two.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
One of the Beatles best songs, which a lot of people haven't heard because it was released as a B side. Ringo Starr's best drumming.

I think I've posted this one before. Ringo Starr is drumming on this track as well (the fills are unmistakable Ringo). Beautiful melody. Vocals by CSN, Donnie Dacus joins Stills on guitar.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Speaking of B-sides, this one never appeared on an album either. Released in 1970 as a 45rpm B-side to "The Immigrant Song" (which was included on Zeppelin III). Jimmy Page's best mandolin playing.

One of the last undiscovered gems of their overfished catalogue, and their only song named after a woman: Darlene

For cool factor, Plant doing his best Motown is pretty high up there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think I've posted this one before. Ringo Starr is drumming on this track as well (the fills are unmistakable Ringo). Beautiful melody. Vocals by CSN, Donnie Dacus joins Stills on guitar.

My daughter was not impressed to find that she's going to the same HS attended by Stills (or Tom Petty, Don Felder or Bernie Leadon).

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I've been a life long fan of the Allman Brothers Band and Gregg Allman's work with his own band. On May 27, 2017, Gregg Allman passed away. As a tribute, I thought I'd post my favorite Gregg Allman song - Ain't Wastin' Time No More.

The song was composed around the time of his brother Duane's death in 1972 - with the structure of the song having been worked out before he died, but the lyrics written afterwards. It's a song about coming to term with the death of a loved one , overcoming the grief, and the need and struggle to carry on. I find the song and lyrics very moving and, as music plays such a big part in my life, I listened to this song many times at the time passing of both my parents as well as during the aftermath of my divorce. "Can't let one precious day slip by" are words from the song that I try to keep in mind in my day to day life.

While this was originally recorded in the aftermath of Duane Allman's death and appeared on the Eat A Peach album, this version is actually Gregg's band from the Back to Macon live album released in 2015.

Edit: Just realized that this song is now over 50 years old. So I'll quote another line from the song - "time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things"

Absolutely love this song as well.

Duane was one of those guys who everyone in my circle was chasing for awhile. It was easy enough to raise your G string a semitone and fake open E and try to play his licks. That was cool. You didn't have to retune or bring another guitar to play like Cooder or Lindley or any of those guys.

For the guitar nerds; Duane was heavily influenced by Jesse Ed Davis. That record with Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder was his introduction to electric slide. Statesboro Blues is on there. You see where the seed was planted. Duane took that and built a legend.

I haven't thought about "Hot Licks" in forever. I haven't heard this song in donkey years. Dang. The nerd in me likes the Mick Ronsonesque cocked-wah tone Dacus has going on here. His intonation is superb. From the initial slide at 1:23 to the end of the interlude is hooky as it can be.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
A couple of recent additions to my library, although the first one isn't really one I listen to regularly. If you hear it you'll probably understand why, but also appreciate his artistry.

I saw this thread and immediately thought to post Hi Ren. Then third post in its right there. There is more to the art and musical layering in here than people realize. Its brilliant. Good post.

Reactions: WhereAreTheCookies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad