GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Surprised people aren't talking about goaltending more, no clue where we go from here. Based on the lress conference, management doesn't have plans to run it back with Sammy again.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't think Marner waives for any of those teams, except maybe Seattle. I assume he'll want to go to a good team that's either in a no-tax state or an interesting city for a young millionaire.

Chicago - if they were competitive then maybe. But they're YEARS away and it's not a no-tax state.

NYI - I think he'd probably waive for NYR, but NYI? It's never been considered a big UFA destination, and they missed the playoffs this year.

Columbus - almost always sucks, currently sucks, and isn't a city that attracts players.

St. Louis - in a rebuild, and I don't think Missouri is as attractive as say California, Nashville, etc.

Seattle - maybe? No-tax state, nice city on the coast, and only real negative is they missed the playoffs this year.

Seattle could be good.

I wonder about NYI. They weren’t a draw because of crazy ownership/arena for a long time.

MSG is 20 miles from the islanders rink. You could still live in NY. If Martin stays the marners and Martin’s were best friends. I wonder if that would work.

Where do you see him going that’s realistic?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Seattle could be good.

I wonder about NYI. They weren’t a draw because of crazy ownership/arena for a long time.

MSG is 20 miles from the islanders rink. You could still live in NY. If Martin stays the marners and Martin’s were best friends. I wonder if that would work.

Where do you see him going that’s realistic?

My assumptions would be that he'd want to go to a good team in a no-tax state and/or interesting city (including climate). Also that he probably wants to avoid the Canadian media.

LA - interesting city in a warm climate. Good team.

NYR - interesting city. Good team. Boston might fit this category as well.

Nashville / Dallas / Florida / TB / Vegas: no-tax states + good teams (and in some cases interesting cities, or at least good climates). Seattle maybe in this category as well.

Those are the main ones I'd be thinking of, but he (or his partner/fiance) may have reasons to dislike some of those options.

All the Canadian teams, except maybe Vancouver (ocean + rockies + good team) I think are safe bets that he won't want to go there. Most of the rest of the teams I think are unlikely (eg Buffalo, Minnesota, Columbus, Washington, Pittsburgh, etc).

He has full control, so I assume he'll only have a list of ~3-5 teams he wants to go to. It's highly unlikely he'll be open to ~10 different teams.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I was thinking about a fast 2nd line C for us while watching the Knights and Canes games.
Necas got me thinking about how awesome it would be to pair a explosive skating C with Nylander and watching Cowan after, I could see Cowan/Nylander making up two thirds of a excellent 2nd line at some point especially if you can find someone that can easily keep up with the pace.

Regardless, 2nd line C is a big need for us moving forward.
But why is Marner also in the lineup? I will be shocked if Tre/management brings this core back, especially after Tre’s comments at the presser.
Why not? Nashville is a great city with plenty to like and they attract many players. But it's only under the assumption that Marner would waive and Nashville wants him of course. We're just speculating and discussing the possibility.
I cannot see Trotz or ownership wanting to pay a soft winger who puts up over 90+ points in the regular season every year but who has continuously failed to deliver in the playoffs when it matters the most, $100 million over 8 years.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
But why is Marner also in the lineup? I will be shocked if Tre/management brings this core back, especially after Tre’s comments at the presser.

I cannot see Trotz or ownership wanting to pay a soft winger who puts up over 90+ points in the regular season every year but who has continuously failed to deliver in the playoffs when it matters the most, $100 million over 8 years.
I think people need to be prepared for the Core4 to be back. It's not 100% that any of them are moved, or want to be moved. JT is certainly not going to wave and that leaves Marner left, and if he says no, then there all coming back lol.

Fans/team should be trying to figure out how the team is going to improve the goal/d-core via trade and free agency without including Marner in trades.

Reactions: ACC1224

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Not to offend anyone, but if you're watching the Edm-Van series and can't see that Zadorov is exactly, 100% the guy we need and have needed here during the Shanaplan, then you're just completely clueless about the sport.

He's a physical specimen, he hits as hard and as often as anyone in the league, he's a leader on the ice, he fights, he intimidates, he's got a cannon for a shot, he skates well enough for a guy his size, he relishes playoff hockey, and he seems to be getting better, which at 29 isn't terribly unusual for someone of that size.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Carolina to me is the team that makes the most sense for marner. They were super close to getting Elias Petterson and was gonna give him a massive contract to go along with it

They'll be all over Marner too if thats the case
Big difference there, Petterson is a center, Marner is a winger. Carolina owner will not pay Marner anywhere close to what he wants, plus I don’t think the Canes are even interested.

Reactions: MarMarSab3

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Assuming Reilly McCabe and Benoit are all staying, and they try to extend at least one of Boosh/Edmundson, and then likely target Zadorov, the Leafs aren't going to have much room for any puck movement ability

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Same team that had no problems forking out big money to Johansen, Duchene, Nyquist, etc over the years? I'm sure they'll be more than willing to bring in a top notch forward if it makes sense to them.

Not to offend anyone, but if you're watching the Edm-Van series and can't see that Zadorov is exactly, 100% the guy we need and have needed here during the Shanaplan, then you're just completely clueless about the sport.

He's a physical specimen, he hits as hard and as often as anyone in the league, he's a leader on the ice, he fights, he intimidates, he's got a cannon for a shot, he skates well enough for a guy his size, he relishes playoff hockey, and he seems to be getting better, which at 29 isn't terribly unusual for someone of that size.

My biggest problem with Zadorov is that he'll be paid a lot for what he provides. If we think this team needs a 20 point left handed physical defenseman that has a hard time playing above bottom pairing minutes, then I guess I don't know much about the sport.

He has been really good in the playoffs, especially against Edmonton so far. I get the admiration but he's going to be 5-6M for years and I don't think he'll replicate that in a bigger size sample.

Reactions: WillNy29

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Kyper today sounded pretty convinced the Leafs are ok with getting nasty with Tavares to get him to move. He was pretty confident a trade will happen.

Reactions: Zero1

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Somehow getting rid of Tavares is the "safest" way to move off the core four. However, If we want to truly reconstruct this team, they're going to need the assets they can get from a Marner trade.

Reactions: TheShape

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Kyper today sounded pretty convinced the Leafs are ok with getting nasty with Tavares to get him to move. He was pretty confident a trade will happen.

If he does waive where does he go?

I gotta think the Canes, Bruins, Jets would be interested.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If he does waive where does he go?

I gotta think the Canes, Bruins, Jets would be interested.
I don't know who would want him. I do wonder if a team would give up an asset to a 3rd team to retain half after his bonus is paid out. Something like:

Team 1: Tavares (5.5M)
Team 2: 5.5M retention (455k real money), 2nd round pick
TOR: nothing

Team 1 could be Carolina, Dallas, Tampa, Nashville, Boston or Seattle. Team 2 could Chicago, Anaheim, Utah, Calgary if they sell.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

That's just his opinion...I don't think he's getting any inside scoop from Treliving or Tavares...I don't think Tavares is interested in being traded...he's got 2 young kids and a wife from around the GTA.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I don't know who would want him. I do wonder if a team would give up an asset to a 3rd team to retain half after his bonus is paid out. Something like:

Team 1: Tavares (5.5M)
Team 2: 5.5M retention (455k real money), 2nd round pick
TOR: nothing

Team 1 could be Carolina, Dallas, Tampa, Nashville, Boston or Seattle. Team 2 could Chicago, Anaheim, Utah, Calgary if they sell.

There’s no way that’s what he’s worth on the market. Lesser players have gone for more.

He’s a 60-70 point 2C. You pay a 3rd/4th for another team to retain $3-4 mill and that’s a 2C for $7-8 mill. Multiple teams should be interested.

Reactions: aingefan

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
There’s no way that’s what he’s worth on the market. Lesser players have gone for more.

He’s a 60-70 point 2C. You pay a 3rd/4th for another team to retain $3-4 mill and that’s a 2C for $7-8 mill. Multiple teams should be interested.
Plus he's making 900k in real money, less than that if the Leafs or another team retain

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

We can agree he's negative value on his contract. The Leafs should gladly take any deal where they retain nothing and get nothing. I also don't see any team taking on 3-4M for a 3rd or 4th. It just wouldn't be worthwhile unless they couldn't hit the cap floor. I also don't think anyone would give up more than the cost of retention for an expiring 65 point C at 7 or 8M in the off-season.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
That's just his opinion...I don't think he's getting any inside scoop from Treliving or Tavares...I don't think Tavares is interested in being traded...he's got 2 young kids and a wife from around the GTA.
I listened to the entire segment today. He didn't relay this information as an opinion. I listen to all the daily shows in Toronto and I'd say Kyper has the most inside info out of everyone who speaks daily.

As far as him not wanting to move. I agree in theory although him going to the worlds signals he wants to continue playing hockey. Assuming he wants to play beyond next season and, Toronto makes it clear they won't offer him an extension, I could see him being open to starting a new chapter with a team he plans on playing for until he retires.

He also would theoretically have more bargaining power for an extension with a new team this off-season vs. negotiating a deal next off-season after his play presumably dips further.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Surprised people aren't talking about goaltending more, no clue where we go from here. Based on the lress conference, management doesn't have plans to run it back with Sammy again.

Samsonov isn't going to be back I imagine unless it's for 1 year and probably cheaper. There are some Saros rumours spreading a bit but that's unlikely.

It'll probably be Woll + a free agent addition of some kind if I'm a betting man. Someone like Stolarz might be heavily courted but there's a few more that could do well for 30-40 games. I'd put all my faith in Woll staying healthy because if he can be, he'd be a great goaltender to ride. Hildeby is 23 years old and probably isn't far off being at the very least a competent backup as well.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I listened to the entire segment today. He didn't relay this information as an opinion. I listen to all the daily shows in Toronto and I'd say Kyper has the most inside info out of everyone who speaks daily.

As far as him not wanting to move. I agree in theory although him going to the worlds signals he wants to continue playing hockey. Assuming he wants to play beyond next season and, Toronto makes it clear they won't offer him an extension, I could see him being open to starting a new chapter with a team he plans on playing for until he retires.

He also would theoretically have more bargaining power for an extension with a new team this off-season vs. negotiating a deal next off-season after his play presumably dips further.

Kypreos is a confident guy, so he sounds confident...but for him to know anything, he would need to hear it from Tavares...I don't think Treliving has even spoken to Tavares about a trade yet.

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad